Ships Nostalgia banner

Captain Thomas Rhodes Owen

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  raybnz 
#1 ·
This gentleman being my Great Grand Father took the first "Propellor Driven" ship out of the Mersey around 1860.

I am very interested in finding more about this gentleman and the ship in which he was Captain.

Looking forward to your replies

#2 ·
Hi Ken,
You sent the query below to Ships Nostalgia forum just over a year ago.
I have just come across it.

Thomas Rhodes Owen, the son of William Henshaw Owen (b 1813), was possibly born on 4 March 1846 in Mallow St in Limerick (Ireland) where his dad was resident engineer supervising on the bridge works for the re-construction of the Thomond Bridge on the River Shannon. (there is a newspaper entry of a son born to WHO and MO for this date - but maybe this was a second son). He was named Thomas Rhodes after his Dad's boss who was the principal engineer for the Re-development of the Shannon Navigation under The Board of Works of Ireland. WH Owen took up this position in 1836 from Dublin, almost certainly through his father and in 1845 describes himself as engineer for the port of Limerick. WH Owen was the son of Jacob Owen, originally a clerk of works/achitect for the crown in 1831/32 in Portsmouth but appointed 23 may 1832 as Chief Engineer and Architect to the Board of Public Works in Ireland at a salary of 800 pounds per annum, in Dublin. Jacob Owen became one of Dublin's upper crust, retiring on a pension of 1000 pounds per annum and having one of his other sons posted as Architect in his place. Jacob Owen died in 1870.

Thomas Rhodes Owen's mum was Margaret Eliza Owen, who married WH Owen in St Philip's Church, at the corner of Hardman St and Baltimore Street in Liverpool on 22 August 1837. St Philip's was one of Lpool's 3 cast iron churches and was Church of England, but was known to be a church of mixed (Protestant and Catholic) families. Margaret Eliza was named as Margaret Elza O'Donnogue, daughter of C W Williams esq of liverpool. (This is my interest) CW Williams was the founder and Managing Director of The City of Dublin Steam Packet Company, then probably the largest steam ship operating company in the world. CWW died in 1865

Note both Joseph Owen and CWW Williams were Protestant.
If you know anything further of Margaret Eliza Owen, please let me know.
By the way W H owen died sometime between 1845 and 1859. Margaret Eliza Owen returned to Liverpool and died on 13 August 1859.
Thomas Rhodes Owen would have then been 13 years old - only 14 years old in 1860 - too young to be a Captain - so was probably born a bit ealier than the 1846 entry.
I would also welcome whatever info you have on Thomas Rhodes Owen

I hope this helps you.

Re Captain Thomas Rhodes Owen taking the first "Propellor Driven " ship out of the Mersey in 1860 - sorry but there were many screw propelled ships operating regularly by that time.

Regards,
Jelycons, one time scouser (always a scouser)
Auckland NZ

#3 ·
Hi Ken,
Me again.
I found an Obituary for Thomas Rhodes Owen in Liverpool Mercury 13 March 1882

Captain Thomas Rhodes Owen death through foundering of the steamship Morea aged 35 years - with reference to him as Captain in the Guion Line and youngest son of WH Owen CE of Limerick

I see from the web that the Morea 1648T was an iron steamship built by William Gray and Company and launched in 1879 with engines by Blair & Co of Stockton for Taylor Cameron & Company of Liverpool - Yard No 202

Have not yet found any record of her foundering other than the obituary.

Also I have read your own write up - was it coincidence that you joined the Limerick Co?. Similarly a coincidence we are both in NZ

Cheers
Jelycons

#5 ·
Thanks Brian for your message,
I now have some further info for Ken.

Are you able to email him direct and suggest he have a look at the site?
Alternatively he can email me direct if you can pass on my email address to him.
Since he appears to be here in New Zealand, maybe we can meet up and I can show him all my references re his Great Grandfather

Jelycons
Auckland NZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.