Hull Gates & Klondyke - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hull Gates & Klondyke

User Tag List

Old 5th July 2010, 13:27
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1989

My location
Quite right E.Martin. I was in when she was the Kyle of Lochalsh, Monroe Bros. of Liverpool. Chatty but happy, only ever carried coal in her. South Wales to Manchester, Ireland and Bordeaux.

Alec.
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:29

I worked for United Towing 82 to 86,which was also part of the North British Shipping family, along with Humber Tugs. At that time Klondyke still had a few of gthe old vessels and had built a couple of new ones called NORBRIT FAITH/HOPE if I remember correctly. I remeber one of the old ones taking supplies to Ascencion Island and the two Norbrit vessels were chartered by the Falkland Island Company to take supplies down to the Islands. I seem to remember that they had trouble with wastage in their tanks very quickly. Another part of the North British group was Cochranes ship builders and I would expect they were built by them. The Wilbram family owned the company but I think they were realted to the Parkes some how, Maybe married to a daughter. They sold the tugs around 1987 so I assume that the Klondyke vessels went at the same time.

When I was a Humber pilot the Northgate/Eastgate etc were regular at Salt End and Immingham. I remember they were wickedly right handed and could catch you unawares. However a could stiff jag astern could work wonders, especially with the nice strong current in the Humber. No need for a bow truster with them.

Regards, Tony Porter
Old 30th July 2010, 01:18

Beverlygate, built in 1952, became Kyle of Lochalsh in 1958 for Kyle Shipping Co Ltd (Monroe Brothers). They sold her to H.C. Druce & Co Ltd of Montreal in 1965 ands she was renamed Humberbrook. That ownership was brief as she was repossessed for default of payment in 1967 and resold for 45,000 pounds to Greek owners, where she served as Christina Th and Mastrokostas before being scrapped in 1982.
During her Canadian sojourn she made a northern supply trip to the arctic on charter to Chimo-Clarke in 1966. She also carried pulpwood on the St.Lawrence River. A lengthy strike in the pulpwood industry in 1966 may have resulting in a considerable loss for her owner.
Old 28th September 2010, 20:06
Department: Engineering
Active: 1949 - 1987

good pals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael greenbury View Post
hello on researching my family tree i came ac the threads for the hullgate paulgate etc
My father was Reg Greenbury, and if you are still all looking for some of the photos please let me know, im sure we still have some of them,
rachael
Used to know R.G many moons ago but somehow lost touch,I take it .from your message.that your father has left us, how sad. when did it happen. He was one of the best. All the best to you and your mother. BLIP
Old 29th September 2010, 07:21

My location
Hi Rachael,I sailed with your father and your uncle Colin who I think got lost some years later...I sailed with Reg when I was a cadet at Hull Trinity House and about 9 months later.
I last saw him in the Minerva pub on Hull pier years ago when I think he was a super or well up for north British who had their offices just up the road from the pier.
With me on Paulgate was another youngster jack Richmond who I still see occasionally,there was also a guy from dundee but he did not last long.
There was only 4 men crew usually 1 deck boy,1 O/S Colin G and Reg G ,I believe they lived in or near Tennyson Avenue in Bridlington.
I know Reg was into his photography and we had some great runs asore in Norwich,Par,Charlestown,Goole,Sunderland,Dundee,Pe rth,and lots of other small ports including the River Hull and kings Lynn.
I do believe the Paulgate sank with loss of life off the Isle of Man not suprised as to get out of the accomadation in a hurry would have been very difficult as it was a steep staircase near the ships wheel..
I would certainly appreciate an odd photo if available..
Your Dad had a mate called Blackie he was captain of the humbergate I believe..
I always remember Reg cutting our ropes to our paint stage whilst in Charlestown we went straight in the dock and to get out we had to shin up the dock side covered in green mold what a laugh that was..
I think you can access my email address from the site if you like to get in touch..Geoff Johnson (presently in China offshore)
Old 16th November 2010, 16:06
Department: Engineering
Active: 1949 - 1987

Revesbydyke

[QUOTE=dontaylor1;274106]does anyone have any details about the loss of the revesbydyke off the coast of brazil [1965-66]i know she was wrecked off ITAJAI but would like to know the cause e,t,c, i think the somesbydyke was built with the insurance from that vessel, any imfo would be great.
don tayor The Revesbydyke ran aground in the river leaving Itajai,September 1965 and was declared an ATL. Whilst sailing down the river she struck a sand/mud bank and listed very heavily.The accommodation ports were all open allowing the ingress of water into the accommodation and engine room. Eventually, the stricken ship floated down the river into the bay where she lost her ondeck timber cargo and the steel hatch covers sprung off taking more sea water into her holds.
I do not think that the vessel Somersbydyke was built with the insurance money as this vessel was part of the companies forward planner, or so I was informed. Blip

Last edited by BLIP; 17th November 2010 at 09:54.. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 17th November 2010, 19:00

My location
Correction to my post above

In my previous submission I said Blackie was captain of the Humbergate but to the best of my knowledge he was actually captain of the Queensgate in 1963/64 as we where at anchor together off Charlestown once..
Now that is a story the capstan was a jury rig with chains to the gypsy from the hatch winch..We ended up pulling it up my MANDROLIC..
Old 5th December 2010, 14:35
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 2000 - Present

Quote:
hello on researching my family tree i came ac the threads for the hullgate paulgate etc
My father was Reg Greenbury, and if you are still all looking for some of the photos please let me know, im sure we still have some of them,
rachael
Hi Rachael, noticed you mentioned Hullgate,what year would that be,regards,ken.
Old 5th December 2010, 14:46
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 2000 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Davies View Post
Once sailed with an ex-skipper from Hull Gates called Jack Catherine. Had a very interesting background. Passed away in north Wales many years ago.
Cheers
Ken Davies
Hi Ken, My father was skipper of the Hullgate in 1946 his first officer had that name,i knew him well as i spent my school holidays on board ship.
He took over from him when he retired.
Old 5th December 2010, 16:48

Hi Everyone.

I have just come across this thread and read it with interest. I was on the Kirtondyke and Fendyke in the early 70s. I cant remember the names of the captains but I recall them both to be fare and respected by all who sailed with them. If memory serves me right the captain of the Kirtondyke was from Blyth.

Those who are interested will find some details and photo'of some of the Klondyke and Hullgates ships in the attached link.

http://www.gooleships.co.uk/goolesb/goolesb.htm

Regards.

Graham
Old 13th January 2011, 13:13

Did you know a David Jones, an Engineer on the Kirtondyke around 1967 / 1968 at all?
Old 28th February 2011, 20:59

Smile S S Bostondyke

I was second mate on the Bostondyke in Sept 61 to Oct 61 master was E Dotchin joined her in Boston Lincs and then \Finland for timber for West Hartlepool
Old 21st January 2012, 09:24

My father Anthony Syd Bashford worked at United Towing. He arranged for me to spend 6 weeks on Avondyke in the summer of 1980 as a cabin boy aged 14-15. We sailed hull to Denmark then to Finland then through the keil canal into amsterdam. On reversing captain S.P.Ewing (yes correct and some crew not like him) reversed into bank and bent rudder shaft. Spent two weeks in dry dock. Memorable holiday.
Old 23rd January 2012, 20:03

Hi Syd you must be the son of Sid who was a Director of the company, i was a big pal of his and your mother to i did a lot of work with your dad and he settled a lot of my repair accounts, your mother and father came to a big party at my house with a lot more of the bosses from UTC happy days sam
Old 2nd May 2013, 01:34

My first trip to sea was on the Paulgate, in 1966 skipper was Reg Greenbury, his brother in law Colin think is sir name was Thomson or Tomlinson was engineer, Dave Naylor was mate, think Colins wife was called Heather as she was aboard for a while, The ship was sold to a company called ross & marshalls and became the moonlight (queensgate was also there called the paulalight) i stayed with r&m for about 18 months, on several vessels, including a clyde puffer, our main run was the Clyde to the Hebrides carrying whiskey. strangest cargo we carried on x paulgate was a nuclear missile.Had a great time on all these ships.Sailed on other gate boats but will write about them another time Dave Coates Hull
Old 13th December 2013, 20:57

I was on galley boy the hullgate in 1981 just before it blew up...I pulled a guy out of a room aft who had passed out with the fumes....A chatty but happy ship..Always in and out of Eastham and Arklow.
Old 13th December 2013, 23:17
Department: Deck
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
I knew 2 lads on the Hullgate, EDH called Phil and a deck boy called Tim. A good 10 years after that explosion Tim went to hospital for some trivial ear problem and the doc pulled out a piece of hardwood timber deep in his ear canal, Tim said it must have been there since that explosion !!
Old 14th December 2013, 10:35

was on the hull gate about 1970 carried heavy fuel oil then, was on the per at the time hullgate blew up, went to the hospital in Haverford west with the skipper of the per (Stewart Mahoney) to see the mate of the hullgate think is name was bill Saxby if I remember right.
Old 14th December 2013, 10:49

2nd thoughts think Collins wife was called Dianne
Old 14th December 2013, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant P View Post
I worked for United Towing 82 to 86,which was also part of the North British Shipping family, along with Humber Tugs. At that time Klondyke still had a few of gthe old vessels and had built a couple of new ones called NORBRIT FAITH/HOPE if I remember correctly. I remeber one of the old ones taking supplies to Ascencion Island and the two Norbrit vessels were chartered by the Falkland Island Company to take supplies down to the Islands. I seem to remember that they had trouble with wastage in their tanks very quickly. Another part of the North British group was Cochranes ship builders and I would expect they were built by them. The Wilbram family owned the company but I think they were realted to the Parkes some how, Maybe married to a daughter. They sold the tugs around 1987 so I assume that the Klondyke vessels went at the same time.

When I was a Humber pilot the Northgate/Eastgate etc were regular at Salt End and Immingham. I remember they were wickedly right handed and could catch you unawares. However a could stiff jag astern could work wonders, especially with the nice strong current in the Humber. No need for a bow truster with them.

Regards, Tony Porter
Have piloted Eastgate and Irishgate on numerous occasions, always enjoyed them, as you say AntP a tad right handed but not too bad.
The one I had difficulty with was the Martindyke, she was sold on and became the Rutland and I remember her handling ok at this time. She was again sold on to become the RUTA and from that moment became an absolute nightmare, totally unpredictable.

regards
Dave
Old 28th December 2013, 19:21

Hi I am new to this site.
I served as a 3rd engineer and was then promoted to 2nd engineer and worked on most of the Gate ships from 1979 - 1987. Very happy days, always had a good crew and a good laugh although I was the odd one out coming from the South.
It would be good to hear from anyone who remembers me.
Jim Brown
Old 11th November 2014, 18:54

Reginald Greenbury

Quote:
rachael
would be interested in hearing from you re your Father
Gordon McGrath