Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships - Page 28 - Ships Nostalgia
23:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships

User Tag List

Old 10th August 2010, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB.WHITTAKER View Post
Unfortunately one of the company,s characters from the 70s and 80s deepsea on Gas Tankers (Cavendish) and Offshore on Uncle John electrician DAI DAVIES passed away yesterday Sunday 8th of August . There is no doubt in my mind he will be remembered . " Happy Days DAI " Bob Whittaker
Bob, that is indeed sad news. I learnt about it from Marinejockey on another post. Pass my condolences to his family if you are in touch.
I have many good memories about Dai especially on the "Cavendish"
"God Speed Dai"

Regards
Old 10th August 2010, 16:46

A gentleman and a character who will be remembered by all who sailed with him, both deep-sea and offshore.

Quote:
Unfortunately one of the company,s characters from the 70s and 80s deepsea on Gas Tankers (Cavendish) and Offshore on Uncle John electrician DAI DAVIES passed away yesterday Sunday 8th of August . There is no doubt in my mind he will be remembered . " Happy Days DAI " Bob Whittaker
Old 11th August 2010, 11:30

My location
Quote:
Very sad to hear of Dai,s passing, condolences to all his family. Alan T.
Old 19th August 2010, 22:53

Posts on Hardwicke Grange conjures up happy memories of over 25 years service with Houlders,Commencing in 1954. I served on the Hardwicke from July 63 to Nov 64 with Capt Roy Faulkner and then to Jan 65 with Capt T A G Head.
After serving in Avogadro-Joule-Orelia-Cerinthus and Mabel Warwick I rejoined the Hardwicke again with Capt Head in Nov 68 until May 70, a total of seven voyages. One job I was always proud of was hving the cargo plans ready for dispatch to London within fifteen minutes of receipt of the final tally sheets.
During my time on the Hardwicke my wife Lynda and I had the great pleasure to be guests at Paddy O`Regan`s wedding in St Finbars Cathedral in Cork.
Along with some other guests we were accommodated in the Country Club,and,typically of the man,when I went to settle the bill it had already been taken care of.
Much to my regret when I left the ship we completely lost touch.
Angus D.
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:32
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1953 - 1963

I sailed as assistant steward on the Oredian mostly out of port talbot FEb 57 to Sept 57 Captain Boothby Was the Old Man R 588476 Brian Newton Joined the ship in Hartlepool
Old 24th October 2010, 02:00

I was wondering if anyone remembers the young ladies who sailed with houlders i recall a cadet [jane riley]and a second mate[allison] plus a few whoose names have been obscured by time it would be interesting to knowwhat happened to them and how their carears went
Old 24th October 2010, 20:27
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - 1983

Yea remember them all. Photo of Sue via link will dig out pictures of others and post them.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...f-stew/cat/500
Old 26th October 2010, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa002f0328 View Post
Hi Ian
I sailed in Houlders on the Rippingham Grange, great trip ( 1959-60) also one trip on Mable Warwick she was a bad sea ship, but we got there and back, cheers Bill atkins
Bill I was on the Rip from Jan58 to June 59. I signed on has chippys mate on a nine monther to NZ we had a south african chippy who was a plonky never saw him at sea and he was payed off in New York halfway thro the trip I was premoted to chippy and the I rejoined has chippy for a five monther back to NZ. under charter to Shaw Savill I enjoyed my time on her. I think we may have crossed paths.
All the Best Tony D
Old 28th October 2010, 23:26

My location
I remember a cadet on the tanker" Hornby Grange" from Scarborough I believe called Karen,she had sailed on the "Max" also,That would have been around 1980 also there was a female Sparky in the company who's name I can't remember.
Rumour had it that Karen ? finished up working in a Super market in Scarborough,but that is not confirmed.
Old 29th October 2010, 01:55

having sailed[twice] on the hornby grange been aboard the black max[as a visitor]i am sure the poor girl would have been happy to be working anywhere else joking apart i think there was a policey to give the girls hard working ships so as not to be accused of bious on account of gender
Old 29th October 2010, 01:58

PS please forgive the spelling
Old 1st November 2010, 17:04

anyone know what happened to Sue Smith ,sailed with her on the Cumbria 1979-she was 3/M at the time.
Old 1st November 2010, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff of Hull View Post
I remember a cadet on the tanker" Hornby Grange" from Scarborough I believe called Karen,she had sailed on the "Max" also,That would have been around 1980 also there was a female Sparky in the company who's name I can't remember.
Rumour had it that Karen ? finished up working in a Super market in Scarborough,but that is not confirmed.
Hi Geoff, The Karen you are referring to is/was Karen Wallace now Karen Daniels. I sailed with her on the Black Max in 1979, I was C/O. I also taught her at Hull Nautical College in '82 which came as a bit of a shock to her system! She recently moved to Majorca but is now back living in West Yorkshire. I also sailed with Sue Smith in @76 on the Ocean Transport, I was 2/0 then, no idea what happened to Sue.
Cheers
Chadders
Old 1st November 2010, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianl View Post
anyone know what happened to Sue Smith ,sailed with her on the Cumbria 1979-she was 3/M at the time.
Last I heard of Sue she was married to 3/E Alasdair Bruck and lived in South Wales (1989).
Louise Holman was a colleague of mine, as an Assistant Harbourmaster on the Tees until August of this year, when she left to become a lecturer at South Shields College.

Mike Bartle
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:37

Sailed with Nicola Cartwright on the Joya Mc Cance, she had just left the Hardwicke Grange.
Believe she was the first Houlders Female deck cadet.
She failed her eye sight test ( colour blind ). Believe she got married to Jimmy Heany a 3rd Engineer.
Also sailed with Sue Smith.
John Heaton
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:58

SS Duquesa March 1960

I was a passenger, with my new husband, to Buenos Aires on the Duquesa in 1960. We left London on 8th March. I have just found the passenger list but there is someone missing. There were ten of us, including two children, but only nine are named as having embarked. The tenth was more than likely an Argentine woman, who asked me if she could have a page from my writing pad as she needed to write a letter. I gave her a page and resumed my own letter-writing. Later, during dinner, the Captain ran past our table shouting "She's gone" and we heard that she had jumped overboard, leaving a letter which may have been for the relatives who were waiting for her when we docked. The ship was turned and the sea around was searched but she was not found. After some time we went on our way, but I did wonder what the story was behind the poor woman's suicide. She was said to be being deported because she was destitute. Does anyone know anything about this?

I have noticed that the posts are mainly from crews, but someone just might have crewed on the Duquesa in March 1960?

Last edited by Samara; 3rd November 2010 at 10:53.. Reason: New member, so not sure if I am in the right forum!
Old 3rd November 2010, 02:50

Was with Anne Roberts in Campbell Maritime years ago, not sure but there may have been another ex-Houlders, possibly Sue Smith as well.
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samara View Post
I was a passenger, with my new husband, to Buenos Aires on the Duquesa in 1960. We left London on 8th March. I have just found the passenger list but there is someone missing. There were ten of us, including two children, but only nine are named as having embarked. The tenth was more than likely an Argentine woman, who asked me if she could have a page from my writing pad as she needed to write a letter. I gave her a page and resumed my own letter-writing. Later, during dinner, the Captain ran past our table shouting "She's gone" and we heard that she had jumped overboard, leaving a letter which may have been for the relatives who were waiting for her when we docked. The ship was turned and the sea around was searched but she was not found. After some time we went on our way, but I did wonder what the story was behind the poor woman's suicide. She was said to be being deported because she was destitute. Does anyone know anything about this?
Hi Samara, and welcome to the site. That is indeed a sad tale for your first post. It's not one I have heard before although I was with Houlders in the 60's. I will ask around and if I find out anything I will post it on here. There is a member on here who goes by the name of "Duquesa" when he sees this he may have something to add.

Regards

PS I notice you mention a Passenger list, perhaps you could post a copy on the site and any names of Crew Members might also help.

Last edited by marinero; 3rd November 2010 at 11:01..
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:04

Marinero

It was the fact that the woman was not identified on the passenger list which puzzled me. She was very much alive before she disappeared. I was wondering where she would have been entered in the archives. Perhaps there is another list; after all, she was not exactly a passenger, more a prisoner, perhaps. There is an unreadable scribble, in red pen, under "summary of passengers", in a box on the right. "5.Coebil". Well, that's what it looks like, after peering at it through a magnifying glass.
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:33
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Houlder Bros crews & ships

Hi Samara. It was my time on the "Duq" but to be honest that story is new to me. Eric Lockheed would have been the Master I would say. I can't imagine him running about shouting anything. Wasn't his style but I suppose when confronted with the fact you may have "lost" a passenger, any reaction is possible.
I hope you get to the bottom of it and I look forward to reading that outcome. Fascinating. Good luck.
Old 17th November 2010, 19:34

My location
Hi Chadders

Yes you are correct with the name Karen Wallace etc,I may have been with you on the Max I joined in Fawley and the voyage took us to Phili,teeside,Porsgrun,Ponce,Arzew (?),Huelva I did about 5 month that trip on her guy called McSwan a taffy was there Joe Wilson,Steve Rathbone both Tees Pilots now.Jerry Dancer,Dogsie old man,the mate one trip had his wife on. I joined the new Hornby after that.and many years later offshore with Houlder/Stena.
As Hull Marine college goes I was up there in about 84 after leaving the Oswestry Grange (collier) just after a miners strike December I think Sherwood had come across from royal Mail/Shaw Saville around that time to take over the show..
I remember on the Hornby, Karen had her half day saturday afternoon,as we were off Puerto Miranda she decided to go for a dip in the pool we where working in that area so we asked her to give us a flash of her bikini top!..which she of course she rejected,after several refusals,we decided to go one deck down to the deck locker and open the drain valve !!,as the water was going away she was crouching lower and lower until the pool had no water left, she was on the bottom clutching her bikini top ..Good days
Old 23rd November 2010, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff of Hull View Post
Yes you are correct with the name Karen Wallace etc,I may have been with you on the Max I joined in Fawley and the voyage took us to Phili,teeside,Porsgrun,Ponce,Arzew (?),Huelva I did about 5 month that trip on her guy called McSwan a taffy was there Joe Wilson,Steve Rathbone both Tees Pilots now.Jerry Dancer,Dogsie old man,the mate one trip had his wife on. I joined the new Hornby after that.and many years later offshore with Houlder/Stena.
As Hull Marine college goes I was up there in about 84 after leaving the Oswestry Grange (collier) just after a miners strike December I think Sherwood had come across from royal Mail/Shaw Saville around that time to take over the show..
I remember on the Hornby, Karen had her half day saturday afternoon,as we were off Puerto Miranda she decided to go for a dip in the pool we where working in that area so we asked her to give us a flash of her bikini top!..which she of course she rejected,after several refusals,we decided to go one deck down to the deck locker and open the drain valve !!,as the water was going away she was crouching lower and lower until the pool had no water left, she was on the bottom clutching her bikini top ..Good days
Hi Geoff,

Sorry we weren't on the Black Max together I was there in '79 joined in drydock in Curacao and then pottered around the US Gulf before paying off in Spain. I was mate Joe Wilson and Mike Fielder were both 2nd mates and Dogsie was the Old Man. As for Hull Nautical College I taught there from 1981 to 1988 but was away from Sept '84 to May '85 studying at Plymouth Poly. I taught a number of subjects as all newbie's did but mainly Orals from Cadets to Masters and Met and Chartwork oh happy days (I think!).
Old 20th February 2011, 18:01
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - 1988

I believe the Allison you mentioned would have been Allison Wood, I sailed with her on the Hardwicke Grange in 1975 when we were both deck cadets. That trip we sailed from Southampton down to Valparaiso. It was the Hardwicke's first passage through the Panama and we were anchored off Cristobal for a few days being measured for Panama Tonnage.
Old 15th March 2011, 01:03
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris Head View Post
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has the knowledge of the whereabouts of Peter St Claire originally Norwood, who travelled with my late Father Tom Head on the Hardwicke Grange, as chief Steward in 1969.
My mother would early love to make contact or hear from him, so any help would be appreciated, last known to be residing in Alicante.
Many thanks in anticipation
Chris Head
Hi Chris,
With regards to Peter St Claire, I sailed with him on the Geestport, one of the Geest Line ships. He was purser and we sailed together many times. He brought his wife Cessile on one trip. He did live in Spain but it wasn't Alicante. Can't remember where. I'm sorry to tell you that he passed away possibly about 3 or 4 years ago.
Best Regards,
Jim Crosbie, 2nd Eng.
Old 15th March 2011, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Crosbie View Post
Hi Chris,
With regards to Peter St Claire, I sailed with him on the Geestport, one of the Geest Line ships. He was purser and we sailed together many times. He brought his wife Cessile on one trip. He did live in Spain but it wasn't Alicante. Can't remember where. I'm sorry to tell you that he passed away possibly about 3 or 4 years ago.
Best Regards,
Jim Crosbie, 2nd Eng.
Morning Jim.

That is very sad news indeed, I also have tried to find him over the years but to no avail. I did my first trip in Houlders with Peter and also sailed with him on the BA run. I also met his wife and she used to vist me when I was in the British Hospital in Buenos Aires. He was a very good and reliable shipmate

Regards Leo