Lord Prescott - Ships Nostalgia
05:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lord Prescott

User Tag List

Old 17th November 2010, 11:50

Smile Lord Prescott

this is serious research,
i have been trying to locate john prescotts shipping career and his seamans registration number.
is there anyone on this site that can help with my research.
mike
Old 17th November 2010, 19:29

He was a potty ****** on the Queen Elizabath sam2182sw
Old 17th November 2010, 21:30
Active: 1936 - 1986

I knew a steward who sailed with Prescott on Britannic.
He told me Prescott was a wine steward.
He was also a delegate with the National Union of Seamen at Hull
then to London.
With little prospect of promotion with NUS he went to the TGWU.
He was their delegate at Tilbury for a while .
Stan
Old 17th November 2010, 21:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1975 - 1991

Quote:
He became a steward and waiter in the Merchant Navy,
Taken from here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Prescott#Early_life
Old 17th November 2010, 23:37
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1970

Ancestry.com have Port of New York immigration records up to 1957, these include details of the crews. I am a similiar vintage to JP and went to sea in 1956. My 6 entries on the Parthia are recorded there. The records are searchable by name . Unfortunately access is not free and I no longer have a subscription. Hope this helps.
Old 18th November 2010, 19:22

I remember him collecting the political levy in the early 50's in Posterngate,Hull
Old 19th November 2010, 12:30

I remember reading a political biography (might have even been written by Prescott himself). It mentioned a strike organised by him in New York onboard a Cunard liner when he was a steward, his actions were condemned in the House of Commons by the PM at the time, to the effect that his type were not wanted onboard british ships as a result he was unemployable at sea, so the he stared working ashore as a union official. And the rest as they say is history.
Old 20th November 2010, 13:11

My location
I was at a forum about 4 weeks ago involving JP and his wife Pauleen,Which turned out a very enjoyable night,
The questions came up about his career,and if my memory serves me right,as being a welshman from north wales he was on liverpool pool,and was a steward on Cunard a fair few he did not mention being a barman,but he was an activist within the NUS who's aspirations where to lead the Seamans Union but his face never fit in the right circles,so eventually he went to Ruskin a university sponsored by the unions where several other "names"where there Skinner being one I think,This was either during or just after he did a few trips in North Sea Ferries as a steward.
He was involved in a strike in Liverpool and did lead them out but I gather when the official strike finished he lead them back!much to the annoyance of the millitants who where staying out on a unofficial strike.
He was attached to the NUS down Posterngate opposite the pool in Hull I don't think he was ever regional secretary though, as previous General secretarys all served in Hull,ie Big Sam Cluskey,Joe Latus,Jim Slater,Bill Hogarth, and I think another,a long time ago so hope my memory is not letting me down.
One thing for certain,all the retired seamen who recieved christmas hampers years ago from the union office in Hull thought it was from the Union,They were wrong they were supplied by JP !!I have no knowledge of him being anything to do with Tom and Gerry Union (TGWU)it was illegal to be in two unions at once.

He has hardly been recognised by a lot for improvements in the various industries at sea and offshore,1 main one was the safety and laws regarding Deepsea divers,Pollution and enviromental issues.
His life story can be found in his book recently published,very ammusing and a lot of behind the seen incidents within the goverment as described by him at the forum.
He now has a project within Europe concerning Enviromental issues Green issues.
If I have made any mistake on any of these items in this small explanation it is not intentional it is only from what I remembered.

Last edited by Geoff of Hull; 20th November 2010 at 13:20.. Reason: Few more facts and issues addressed
Old 20th November 2010, 20:31
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff of Hull View Post
I was at a forum about 4 weeks ago involving JP and his wife Pauleen,Which turned out a very enjoyable night,
The questions came up about his career,and if my memory serves me right,as being a welshman from north wales he was on liverpool pool,and was a steward on Cunard a fair few he did not mention being a barman,but he was an activist within the NUS who's aspirations where to lead the Seamans Union but his face never fit in the right circles,so eventually he went to Ruskin a university sponsored by the unions where several other "names"where there Skinner being one I think,This was either during or just after he did a few trips in North Sea Ferries as a steward.
He was involved in a strike in Liverpool and did lead them out but I gather when the official strike finished he lead them back!much to the annoyance of the millitants who where staying out on a unofficial strike.
He was attached to the NUS down Posterngate opposite the pool in Hull I don't think he was ever regional secretary though, as previous General secretarys all served in Hull,ie Big Sam Cluskey,Joe Latus,Jim Slater,Bill Hogarth, and I think another,a long time ago so hope my memory is not letting me down.
One thing for certain,all the retired seamen who recieved christmas hampers years ago from the union office in Hull thought it was from the Union,They were wrong they were supplied by JP !!I have no knowledge of him being anything to do with Tom and Gerry Union (TGWU)it was illegal to be in two unions at once.

He has hardly been recognised by a lot for improvements in the various industries at sea and offshore,1 main one was the safety and laws regarding Deepsea divers,Pollution and enviromental issues.
His life story can be found in his book recently published,very ammusing and a lot of behind the seen incidents within the goverment as described by him at the forum.
If I have made any mistake on any of these items in this small explanation it is not intentional it is only from what I remembered.
Correct on all points Geoff! Don't know why but we ex seamen love to spread untruths.
Old 20th November 2010, 21:55
Active: 1936 - 1986

RobRoy,
I did not say Prescott was in two unions at same time.
He left NUS and joined TGWU - we riggers had meetings
with him at Tilbury.
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:54

Re my previous posts re our N.U.S. pension payments I wonder if Lord John ever remembers his payments and what he has been ripped of a pension due, but then I guess he is not short of a few bob.
Old 24th November 2010, 03:58
Active: 1959 - 1963

What was Prescott's relationship with people like Sir Thomas YATES? Is it rude to ask what happened to that so and so. YATES had a sone who was the NUS rep in Australia. The NUS guy based in NZ spent most of his time double dipping as a "seagull" working casual on the wharves.
Old 23rd December 2010, 17:23

Thumbs up prescott

gentlemen,
thankyou for your replies,i am part the way there on obtaining hie registration number.all i want now is a list of the ships he was on.
is there anywhere i can go to on line to get these.
thanx
Old 24th December 2010, 08:06
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
Yates = Scott?, where did the 'National Seamans' Reform Movement' fit in?
Yours aye,

slick
Old 24th December 2010, 10:55

My location
In JP's autobiography,he states he got a temporary job with the General and municipal workers union under Dave Basset,in the role of union recruiter.No mention in his book about Tom & Gerry union..
He also states he helped to Organise the National Seaman's Reform Movement with the intention to improve the unions and not to over throw the Goverment.
"Docks To Downing Street " by John Prescott..sold by Headline
Old 24th December 2010, 16:33

ok i give up

ok i give up,it seems that my posting has been taken over by union activists,and not answering my original question.
all i ask is ,if you can not, help please say so.
mike
Old 24th December 2010, 18:48
Active: 1966 - 1983

Mike 555

I know John P sailed on Ascania as a bell boy. He also sailed in Franconia in 1956 as a commis waiter (first class). He must have caught the Old Man's eye on Franconia as he was promoted to Captains Tiger (Commis).

Now being a deck man myself I cannot elaborate on what a Commis version of a Captain's tiger is.

Hope this helps.

BW

J

Last edited by jmcg; 24th December 2010 at 18:51..
Old 2nd January 2011, 16:37

JP was on the castle boats sailing out of hull as a steward
Old 2nd January 2011, 16:50
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Mike 555

I know John P sailed on Ascania as a bell boy. He also sailed in Franconia in 1956 as a commis waiter (first class). He must have caught the Old Man's eye on Franconia as he was promoted to Captains Tiger (Commis).

Now being a deck man myself I cannot elaborate on what a Commis version of a Captain's tiger is.

Hope this helps.

BW

J
j, hope this helps,
commis means agent; deputy; assistant, especially apprentice waiter or chef.
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:02
Active: 1966 - 1983

Thanks Joe- so he (JP) was only a baby "Tiger" then?

BW

J
Old 11th January 2011, 16:36

If You have serious research why not ask the man himself?
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff of Hull View Post

I was fortunate to work for the NUS in the early 90's and had several discussions with JP over the years. He may be many things to many people but in all my dealings I had with him he always put the union and others first.

I apologise for jumping in and not answering the question about which ships he sailed on but as was said there are many who have preconceptions of the man most of which if not all are untrue.

Oh and hi Geoff I hope your well and not working to hard
Old 28th January 2011, 04:45

Mike
Have you thought of asking John himself? I think I would, I've written in to MP's quite a lot. Tony Benn I had a really nice chat with when I met him while working as a dispatch rider a few times. They can be quite accessible!
Old 28th January 2011, 20:47

My location
Thanks George

Yes quite right what you said George he sure is a down to grass routes mans man.
I actually went to a question time were Pauleen and john where in the chair at our local theatre ,It was amusing,serious and very informative and nothing was avoided in answering question.
Some of the inside bits from his days as second in command and when taking over question time in the prime ministers absence was worth the visit .
You can approach him in the street,at Hull city and at hull Kingston rovers, anywhere in fact and he will always give you the time of day.
Another incident to note;I had my wedding reception at his favorite Chinese he was decent enough to show his face after he had eaten upstairs, as it was like being down the Pool there was so many old hands there it was a good gesture.
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:31

Saw a documentary of him when he was on the rangitiki or toto, when Anthony Eden went to New Zealand to convalece , bit of a come down for a 7/c wine steward on the cunard