Ugland Car Carriers - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
13:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ugland Car Carriers

User Tag List

Old 19th April 2008, 20:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
Geoff, did'nt Steve Bland end up in Grimsby running the UECC office, I think he's left now, I did a few days with him on the Weg, I think it was his first trip skipper in Uglands (around 89/90), I remember Steve being mate on the Line with Peter Riley, Monty and Purdey were skippers on the Route when I was there and was'nt that other skipper called Dave Aitkin-aka 'roadrunner'?
Old 19th April 2008, 21:21

My location
Thats true Tim Steve did work in the office in GY in fact was marine super but left and works for Sam now ..All points you have raised are quite correct Dave Aitkin 50 a day ciggy man also another old man from Cott..Peter Riley wrapped more or less when the Brits where replaced with Portuguese he was dead against loosing British crews and is on the Red star line I think it is Isle of Wight ferries ..I still go to the Ugland reunions every other month when I am home an old Chief engineer comes across from gy regular Pete Dicko from the Transporter ......Geoff
Ray if you copy this conversation Tony Grout is one of my good mates from school days and sailed with him in a DSV for Coflexip he was medically payed off with deafness and I will be seeing him week today
Old 19th April 2008, 21:32

My location
Geoff, I remember the name Pete Dicko but can't put a face to the name, some names I can recall sailing with are Albert Sparks,Jimmy Ham,Chinky Dave,Bizz,Gus Carver, Terry Crozier,Albert Ball, I did at least a couple of trips with you too.

Last edited by timo; 20th April 2008 at 08:41..
Old 20th April 2008, 02:23

Hi Geoff
How you doing
Its funny reading all the old names and stuff I had a email from Terry lewis the other day He goes to the same lodge as my dad not heard from him in years He is working for bluewater
He was saying he has seen Bizz about a year ago and said the booze has got the better of him which is a shame he also sees Dean thompson now and again for a pint
Catch up with you ltr
Old 20th April 2008, 12:54

Geoff,
I joined the 'Ugland Comex 1' as 1st. mate in 1984 when she was about 9 months old and spent almost four years on her. I left Ugland and joined Denholms simply beacause they took over the vessel management (it was that or redundancy) I can't say I remember the name Steve Bland but it could have been before I joined. The captain, Derek Shorthouse was ex Ugland car carriers but I'm sure he was out in Brazil, he told me they were laid up in Rio for some time. He was also ex UTC personnel manager for a number of years. There was a few other guys on there who spent some time on the car carriers but I believe it was (like me) just relieving jobs for study leave etc. when the UC1 was off charter. Tony Grout, Andy Appleby and Gerry Brandt comes to mind. Don Bruce and Barry Good ran the show from an office down Whitefriargate, There was a secretary in there who was an ex cinema usherette, she certainly called a spade a spade. It's a long time ago but I'm sure there was some incident involving smuggling that actually went to court. I heard there was a few guys sweating on the outcome and a few heavy fines were dished out.
I'd love to come to monthly meeting, I can't make it this month but I certainly will make a date for the future
Ray Jordan
Old 20th April 2008, 14:31

My location
Ray, I was on the Northern Installer in summer '87 she had just been renamed then from the UC1, we must have been there at the same time, the mate I remember was a scottish guy who had spent years on the Uglands managed Balder London (that ship could have a thread all to itself-heard some stories about her!!), I dont remember you so you must have been on the other crew, our skipper was a guy who went under the nickname of juniper jim, I only did 3 trips and left when Denholmes tookover the management. The secretarys name in Uglands was Elsie, she used to organise the crew changes when I was there. Oilymike has a picture of the Texas Horizon in his gallery, I think she's the ex UC1, looks like she may have been lengthend too?

Last edited by timo; 20th April 2008 at 14:34..
Old 21st April 2008, 21:03

Timo
Yes I was on the 'Northern Installer' around that time. I think the Scottish mate you are thinking of is Don Wilson, I was often his relief. Other mates there were Andy Appleby, Bob Greenwood and later Mark Arlow and Alan Jackson. There were two captains called Jim. Jim Little (Livingstone) and Jim Crawshaw (Whitley Bay) I believe it is the latter who you are thinking of. Another captain was Harry Cole from Blyth. The bosun was an ex Shell cadet but his name escapes me.
She was also called the 'ITM Installer' for a while, bare boat charter to a Middlesbrough outfit owned by Alf Duffield who was on the board of Middlesbrough football club and who I believe owned a few night clubs in the area.
She did get lenghthened along with the 'Flexservice 3'. I did a couple of years on Flex but was made redundant when Cable and Wireless took over.
Very interesting photo, I often wondered what happened to her and the other vessels.
I enjoyed my time on those ships, it was my introduction into DP
regards
Ray Jordan
Old 21st April 2008, 21:45

Hi Ray.
Although never on that ship I guessed Juniper Jim would be Jim Crawshaw .I still keep in touch with his brother Colin ex Northern Explorer now on Bibby Aquamarine.Crew change here on Kestrel tomorrow.Thats the 6 weeks up again.We are working in the Eugene Island area in the Gulf,Can,t see the island.I posted a picture of the Kestrel ex Norlift on the Special Purpose Vessel site here under dsv Kestrel.Mc Kech is still on Explorer in China.I have the chinese name for her at home.Must put her picture on as
well. Good memories
All the Best
John Fraser
Old 22nd April 2008, 19:28

Hi John
Good photos. Now I know what happened to those vessels. I believe the 'Balmoral Sea' ex 'eastern Installer' caught fire and sank alongside the quay in New Orleans and was raised and scrapped. Spent a happy couple of years on her with Ian Revie and George Bowie as master. John Turnbull was also captain on her for a while. Great crowd of lads. Laid up in Hull for five months (home every night).
We are going to the States in July, relieving out of New Orleans. Pat O'Briens here I come!
Enjoy your leave
Ray
Old 29th March 2009, 17:11

"Uggies"

Yo you lot, joined Uglands spring 84 as 2nd mate on the Strada. Purdy was skipper, Hobin was mate (or was it the other way round?). Only did the Strada, Bahn & Weg.Left 91 to come ashore.

All the best

Andy Smith
Old 29th March 2009, 18:47

My location
Andy, do you/did you live in Goole?, you went ashore for a wee while in the late 80's (job on the docks?). then came back to Uglands?
Old 21st October 2011, 14:42
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff of Hull View Post
You are quite right Ray..Peter Holmes was on the Route from the beginning and came from Cottingham the same as phil Watts,Peter Atkin ?and Ken Dearlove ..I too sailed on all the ships after joining the company as Bosun from stevie Clarks and still keep in touch with the boys from Ugland reunion every other month if I am home ..Hello Ian hope your fit?
Dave Atkin,Kirkella.
Old 19th July 2012, 22:33
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1979 - 1998

What ever happened to Steve Bell?sailed with him on strada in the mid 80's,cracking skipper
louis Bunn cook
Old 20th July 2012, 12:36

My location
Steve Bell

hello lou
Was with steve last christmas time at Hull trinity House old Boys dinner and dance at Beverley.

Steves fine and was in good spirit at the bar with us having a fare share of Nelsons blood .
He lives some of the time in Torrejeca (Spelt different) still supports Hull kingston Rovers and may turn up at the Ugland reunions about every other month in Hull 's minerva pub.

Hope you are keeping well yourself,I have been offshore myself for about 22 years now and they do not dare ask me to retire !!
Old 21st July 2012, 10:09
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1979 - 1998

Glad to hear it Geoff,a true gent,
last time i saw you, you were on the telly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how's your truck driving mrs?
I recognize some of the names above,sailed with Stan the man(ab) briefly on NSF,think he moved to the freight side,finished my sea days on a standby vessel in the North sea about 12 years ago,mind numbing,
ever hear from Geordie Bob the motorman?
I Remember those four days we had in Emden,think we were on the Submarine(weg)or bahn,suffered the day we eventually sailed,think there was hotdogs on the menu that day,no sign of the babbling brook!
Old 21st July 2012, 12:00

My location
Geordie Bob the motorman.....? Otherwise known as Gadgee Bob. I seem to remember hearing he went on a dredger working not far from where he lived, could be mistaken tho'........ It is a good few year ago now.
Old 21st July 2012, 20:17

My location
Things Change lou !

Think some one said Stan the man had crossed the bar a few years ago?But don't quote me on it.Dean Thomson,went offshore,Elbo lost his wife and has a bevy with me on a friday lunch when I am home,Sam judda and Steve Bland drop into my NEW WIFE'S office about every week ,I often bump into Ray purdie,Phil Watts,Denis Holt,Bonnie Ronnie (Goole) Jack Richmond,Albert Sparks,Tony Miller(NSF),Jimmy Ham (Offshore)Billy Skilling (now master along with Sven in UECC)
That is to name a few I have seen in the last year,Jocky wallace has retired Steve Nelson was on sick last I heard.
So there is a bit of info for you,
Only other bit of news is,My ex truck driver wife is still chasing me
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:22

My location
Sam Juddah,s picture was in Grimsbys local paper a few weeks ago regarding the building of the new car ferry river berth outside of Grimsby docks, he's still involved in the import/land rental for the cars that come in on the car ferrys.
Old 9th November 2013, 01:39

Phil Watts in Balder Offshore Canada Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo View Post
Geoff,
Phil Watts. Yes that was the other captain I was trying to think of. I believe he was ex Ellerman and Wilson. They used the 'Tiger' in Cot and if my memory serves me well played for a local cricket team. There is another ex Ugland captain who's name escapes me but I'm sure he was from an Indian background. He went on to make a pile of cash by investing into the stowage sites where the cars were offloaded awaiting delivery. Before that he was in charge of the container terminal in KG dock in Hull.
I sailed with Phil Watts when he was Master of the "Balder Hudson" offshore Nova Scotia in 1980-81. Several of the crew were ex-Uglands, and we were hired by Don Bruce, who had an office in Whitefriargate, Hull. If I remember rightly, the C/E Stewart Lord, was also ex-Ugland car-carrier man. Alan Knight, Halifax, N.S.
Old 24th November 2013, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuthead View Post
Hi Ray I remember Derick shorthouse was on the Balder baffin in Canada with him and also Tony Grout from the autoroute And Don Bruce he is running Humber ship services in goole now those were the days
Greetings. If you were on the "Balder Baffin" in Canada, then I must know you. My name is Alan Knight; I was the First Mate of the "Balder Hudson" when the two ships were delivered by Marystown shipyard in Newfoundland, July 1980.The crews of the "Balder Hudson" and "Balder Baffin" were hired by Don Bruce in his office at Whitefriargate. The Master of "Balder Baffin" was Phil Jarman. Derek Shorthouse was the Mate. The 2/O was a skinny guy named Lionel, who everyone called "Biggles".The 2/E was Gavin Carter, (big guy with a black beard) who had sailed with Globtik Tankers, and who had rescued a boatload of Vietnamese refugees in the China Sea.
On "Balder Hudson", Phil Watts was the Master, the 2/O was a tall skinny guy (ex-coal miner) named "Brad", but I think that his real name was Richard Bradbury. Stewart Lord was the C/E. The Electrician was Dave Lane, another ex-coal miner. As everyone except me was from Hull, Stewart Lord used to refer to the crew of the two ships as "The Hull Smoothies and Playboys Club". We pooled our money and bought an old Plymouth Satellite station wagon which we named "The Chocolate Rocket". The "Balder Baffin" is still going, last heard of in Nigeria as the "Excellent Diver". If you want some photos of the "Balder Baffin", my e-mail is [email protected]
Old 10th July 2014, 09:44
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 2005

My memories of Uglands / UECC.

Hello sailors,

After the interest shown in my Youtube slideshows "Blue Flu and beyond" and "Blue Funnel : Memories of the 1960s, 70s and 80s", I decided to do another one showing photographic memories of my time in the last company I worked for : Uglands / UECC. This is what happens when you are retired and have idle time on your hands in between the football seasons. (Come on you Ull!).

Anyway, it is on Youtube and is titled "Uglands - UECC, Memories from 1988 to 2004". If you are interested, give it a look....you may even see yourself on there.

Best regards to anyone who knows me. Hope you are all fit and well..............Mike H.
Old 16th July 2014, 20:34

My location
Nice one, good slide show Mike, I was AB on the Weg when we went to Tunis, Sidon, Genoa, Le Havre and Cherbourg, paid off in Goole. Good trip.
Old 20th July 2014, 10:50
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
Nice one, good slide show Mike, I was AB on the Weg when we went to Tunis, Sidon, Genoa, Le Havre and Cherbourg, paid off in Goole. Good trip.
Hi Timo, I must know you but can't place you by name. I did reply to your comment on my Autoline photo. That trip on the Weg was an eventful one to say the least, my first experience of Lebanon and the Israeli gunboats etc. It seems a lifetime ago, well, I suppose it is! Mike H.
Old 30th September 2015, 02:35

Quote:
Any one out there from uglands
Hi from Canada:I have just found a photo of the Uglands crew of "Balder Hudson" at Sable Island, Nova Scotia, during the summer of 1990, and uploaded it to the gallery. I suspect that you are in the photo.
If you can remember the missing names, (or know any Uglands men who might remember them) I would be grateful if you would contact me at [email protected] Best wishes, Alan.
Old 12th February 2016, 10:01

Quote:
Brian Slaughter might of been on the Bahn but I remember him from the route and line last I heard of him he was super for UECC living in Norway but that was a few years ago now
Old Thread, but Bryan sailed on the Bahn in 83, he left as I joined for my first trip as 2nd Eng.

Rgds
Ian