Information about coaster ELECTRO. - Ships Nostalgia
23:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Information about coaster ELECTRO.

User Tag List

Old 16th November 2010, 11:58

Information about coaster ELECTRO.

Hello all,
I'm trying to find information on the 50's coaster the "ELECTRO" to date I've come up with absolutely nothing. It traded mainly between London and Amsterdam, information specifically about it would be great but being pointed in the right direction where I can find out more about it would also be greatly appreciated.
My father inlaw sailed on it in the early to mid fifties and of all the ships he sailed on this is the one that has stuck in his memory, he started a model of it based on the Franzs-W some 5 years ago but the progressive loss of his eyesight stopped him from completing it. Early this year I secretly took on the task of finishing it off and its now about 99% there, I hope to present it to him for his 80th next month and I think he would enjoy knowing the history of the ship aswell.
Thanks
Old 16th November 2010, 13:28

Goole the site for Wilson line she is on there, in fact if you type in the ships name on here there is a photo of her on this site sam2182sw
Old 16th November 2010, 13:31

Hi again go into photoship.co.uk two photos of her in there sam2182sw
Old 16th November 2010, 20:29

Thumbs up Many thanks

I really appreciate your help, I have already looked at the photos they are great, any info on where I can find out more of it's history.
Thanks chwp
Old 17th November 2010, 08:25

ELECTRO Details......

Quote:
Originally Posted by chwp View Post
I really appreciate your help, I have already looked at the photos they are great, any info on where I can find out more of it's history.
Thanks chwp
m.v.ELECTRO

Launched in 10/37 as the WILLIAMSTOWN for Comben,Longstaff Co. London
Official No. 165593
GRT 793
LBP 58.5m
Beam 8.8 m
Single Screw Diesel 9kts
Built by Van der Werf,Deest,Netherlands as Yard No. 204
Subsequent History: Sold onwards(Year/Name/Company
46 ELECTRO---Ellerman Wilson Line(GBR)
- 67 GEORGIOS -----Gaetanos et al (GRK)
- 71 NICOLAS C. Skirones & Co (GRK)
Disposal Data/Fate
fire 36.48N/21.25E (West of Pylos in Ionian Sea on 1/2/72

Old 17th November 2010, 22:20

Many thanks,
This site is incredible and the knowledge of it's members is remarkable, I've been looking in the wrong place for months for photos and information on the Electro and within the space of a little over 24hrs I've been provided with more than I hoped for.
Thanks again to Wribbenhall and sam2182sw.
Old 26th November 2010, 10:59

My location
I remembered her quite well,as far as I can remember she never made it to her owners home port of Hull.
She traded down the Thames and was known as "The Wine Boat" as she carried the wine across I think that maybe why it was a dead mans shoes job ..
I always thought that she traded down to Paris and had another previous name.
I do have the book history of the Wilson Line but unfortunately is at home as I am off the China coast at the moment.
It would be nice to know her WW2 history bet there is some stories to tell there
Old 26th November 2010, 11:13

Hi,

If you look at the link below there is a chart showing the position of the wreck.

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?98748

Regards
Graham
Old 26th November 2010, 20:44

Thanks

Hi Graham,
Thanks for the information, I've been to the web site and added the wrecks location to the file that I'm compiling for the presentation along with the model and photographs.
I think he will be very pleased. Ive got to ask John about the collision at the Tower Bridge he has never mentioned anything about that one.
This is what I've been able to gather with your help and other members of the Ships Nostalgia crew.

Electro (ex Williamstown)

Williamstown: Built 1937 by N.V.Scheeps.Gebr.Werf.Deest. 793 gross tons. 192ft x 29ft. 6 cyl oil engine by Motoren Werke Mannheim. Built for Williamstown Shipping Co. (Managers Comben Longstaff & Co.)
1940 Acquired by W.A.Wilson
9/1944 Attacked by German aircraft off Lundy Island and engine towed to Appledore and laid up
1945 re-engined with 5cyl oil engine British Polar Engines Ltd.
1946 purchased by Ellerman Wilson Lines and renamed Electro
9/2/1955 hit north bascule of Tower Bridge and suffered stern damage
1967 sold to Dimitrios G.Gaetanos, Pireaus and renamed Georgios
1972 sold to Skirones & Co.Cyprus and renamed Nicholas C
1/2/1972 Caught fire and sank off Pylos while on passage from Pireaus to Portugese ports. Latitude:3647.9' N, Longitude:02124.9' E All crew saved.

Thanks again
bob
Old 26th November 2010, 21:15

I was in GSN in 64/65.and the "Electro" berthed regularly on Irongate Wharf which was right below Tower Bridge.From the Bridge you could more or less look down on her.
Old 28th May 2011, 06:32
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 1978

re imformation on the electro just come on this site and have joined up my father was the 2nd engineer for about 8 years i yes she regularly birthed at iron gate wharf and did a regular run to antwerp right up the river scheld the trip took about 32 hrs dad is still alive and im sure he could give any imformation u would want the captains name was ralph i sailed on her for my school holiday on a number of occasions hope this helps
Old 29th May 2011, 10:55

Hello chwp Here is a scan from Ian Allan's "Coastal Passenger Ships" of 1960 of Ellermans Wilson fleet list plus the ELECTRO and TRENTINO. Hope this helps.

Last edited by scorcher; 28th July 2018 at 20:15..
Old 30th May 2011, 07:34

jon b

I was interested in your post, I rang John my father in law he couldn't remember who the second engineer was when he sailed on the Electro.
He sailed on several ships doing runs to Africa, America India etc. mostly freighters and tankers up until he got married in 1951 then joined the Electro as an AB from 1952-1956.
He is interested in having a chat with your father, I'll be heading down to his place on the next week and I'll set him up on the computer so he can get on the chat site. Presently I've got him to jot down the crew he sailed with so even if they didn't sail together they may know some common acquaintances.
Bob
Old 30th May 2011, 07:36

scorcher

Thanks for the scan I'll pass it on he will be very grateful.

bob
Old 31st May 2011, 05:50

thank you for the message unfortunately i live in nz dad lives in england he joined the electro around 57-58 an continued until she was sold i dont remember any of the crew exept the captain i can easily ring him for more imformation he is not computer literate

his first name was dennis he just loved the job he was home most weekends and always had a couple of crates of guinness for out ward bound then another for homeward he had many stories to tell being a coaster she was able to navigate well up into the city of antwerp dad was in contact with the cheif engineer untill recently if u live in the uk perhaps he may make contact his memory is pretty sharp

jon
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:44

I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful.

manandvanhirelondon
Old 17th June 2011, 22:42

Electro

Quote:
Originally Posted by john fraser View Post
I was in GSN in 64/65.and the "Electro" berthed regularly on Irongate Wharf which was right below Tower Bridge.From the Bridge you could more or less look down on her.
I have just come across a slide and have enlarged the detail.I am sure this is the ELECTRO at that location.Just visible.No 1.

Last edited by scorcher; 28th July 2018 at 20:15..
Old 18th June 2011, 08:22

Thanks

It sure looks like the Electro, I'll email it onto John he'll be rapt, have you any idea what year the photo was taken.
Bob
Old 18th June 2011, 11:02

electro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chwp View Post
It sure looks like the Electro, I'll email it onto John he'll be rapt, have you any idea what year the photo was taken.
Bob
Hello Bob I"m pretty sure it was 1964-66. No date on the slide though.Regards to John.
Old 18th June 2011, 22:36

that is definately the electro i remember her colours
Old 18th June 2011, 22:56

please go to google images put in port of london electro u will have a side on colour picture of her unloading complete with barges a rare sight as she was so far up the thames i think u could order the picture hope this helps

jon b
Old 19th June 2011, 08:28

Thanks scorcher and Jon b

I've emailed the photo's to John he was ecstatic about the them and he started reminicing about his days on the Electro, I really appreciate your help.
Thanks bob