Looking for three good Houlder shipmates - Ships Nostalgia
11:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Looking for three good Houlder shipmates

User Tag List

Old 31st July 2012, 11:43

Smile Looking for three good Houlder shipmates

Hi everyone,
During my MN career 1970-75 I remembered three notable
shipmates, I have seen mentioned in these threads:-
Willie Jackson former 5/E on Queensbury & Orenda Bridge of Wrexham,
UK a lovely, funny, happy guy.

Kevin Campbell a C/O who I think I sailed with on Orenda Bridge, a great Yorkshireman who was approachable, liked travel during leave & was interesting & down to Earth.

Thirdly the redoubtable Mike Boland C/O a great Mate (& friend), funny, energetic, a good Mentor & example to All.

No doubt these three would all be over 65 & no doubt retired, if any of you see this message & get in touch.

On Orenda, remember the Punch we would make, everyone was bagging the tinned fruit from the bowl, because it tasted better in alcohol with lemonade.

These threads are testament that we had a good spirit & I still got on with our Furness colleagues who took us over in the early 1970's,
Houlders was a special Co. we were very fortunate to have J. Houlder
/ Furness Executives keeping our welfare in mind, these threads are laden with praise for the Co.

Regards to all, Arthur C.
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:38

Arthur I'm sure several will keep you right I do know Kevin visits this site and yes now retired, Mike is also retired but I'm not sure if he visits here. As for Willie I am not certain.
Old 4th August 2012, 00:55

Hi George,
Many thanks for your reply, I love this site & my Wife has a job to get me away from the computer, I only did 5 yrs in the MN, but it is lovely to read & see how things have gone with friends & colleagues from nearly 40 yrs ago.

Arthur C.
Old 5th August 2012, 18:06

ARTHUR, I sailed (worked) with all the three of your ex shipmates you refer to for some 3 or 4 years on "Uncle John", Houlder Offshore's dynamicaly positioned semi submersible diving support vessel from 1977 - 1981,we were all onboard at the same time. I know that Mike Boland and Kevin Campbell are both retired and haven't changed one bit over the years.Regards Willie, the last I heard was some 8-10 years ago. Cheers Bob Whittaker
Old 6th August 2012, 20:41

Hi Arthur
I was with Kevin and Mike a couple of weeks ago at the memorial service for John Houlder, they are both well.
Regards
Old 8th August 2012, 17:32
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Hi Arthur, when were you on the Cumbria & the Cavendish, I was on both in the 70's and ended up sailing on the Cavendish numerous times leaving in the late 70's as a second engineer
Old 9th August 2012, 02:55

Glad you missed the Orenda Bridge

Hi Marinejocky,
When on the Cavendish welcome party, did they have you dress up in 'Drag', (women's clothes) it was a tradition then, in mid 70's.
MV's Cavendish & Cumbria were two good ships.
The Cavendish was high Spirited & many funny incidents happened.

But the Gas Carrier was run very Professionally by The Capt. (Roy Southgate) & (Tom Woolcott) & C/E John Coates, all lovely guys.

The Orenda Bridge on latter voyages, was very troublesome, but we Engineers were never bored or unhappy.

Cheers for your nice reply.

Arthur C. (Swift) [ex 3/E].
Old 9th August 2012, 11:23

I thought you had to dress in womans clothes all the time when on the gas ships or was that another wind up from Leo & John P.

PS. I still wear them
Old 9th August 2012, 16:30

Smile Hi all, to you great guys

You are a lovely, funny, happy, bunch of Guys, what a nice way to be, recounting day's long gone, but humorous & relevant.

We were the pioneers with much of present day technology & methods, so 'take a bow' & well done.

Many thanks for your lovely threads & I have lots more to bring up, originally from the South Wales Port of Newport, Mon.

Best wishes from Perth, W. Oz., any nice recollections from you old...
(sorry), Sea dogs about runs ashore in Fremantle, about 10 miles from Perth, love to hear from you.

Regards, to you all from,

Arthur C. (ex Houlders /FW, 3/E) now in Perth, W. Oz.
Old 11th August 2012, 12:49

Arthur, I was on the Brandon Priory when we came down from the Gulf to Kwinana (sorry about spelling) just south I believe of Freemantle. we went for a run ashore in Freemantle and I thought I was getting lucky when offered a ride home with 2 girls and this other guy. They dumped me out of the car and the only way I made it back to the ship was by following the flare from the refinery.

Many years later I went back to Freemantle as a guest of International Paint's during the America's Cup and obviously had a completely different experience. We stayed in Perth and I even thought about moving out there. Ended up having a girl friend who lived in Victoria Park and I would fly out to see her whenever I was in the far east during my trouble shooting days.

Many happy memories, tuna fishing off the coast had to be one of the best, riding horses on my girls families farm, flying with her to the mines that she was the finance director for and obvioulsy drinking a good few cold ones.
Old 13th August 2012, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINEJOCKY View Post
I thought you had to dress in womans clothes all the time when on the gas ships or was that another wind up from Leo & John P.

PS. I still wear them
Malcom, do you remember or perhaps you weren't there when the 2nd Eng posed with the black pudding. I do remember an Electrician paying off in Santos in Margaret Mitchell's clothes.

Regards

Leo
Old 13th August 2012, 20:03

Come on Leo name names,
we all know it was Dai Davies and Tom Quayle, cheers Bob Whittaker
Old 13th August 2012, 20:09

Hi NINJA , its about time you "came out of the closet". Cheers Bob !!!
Old 14th August 2012, 09:22

Bob,

All distant but good memories.

No longer able to sit at the bar and listen to Dai on the guitar hammering out a rendition of 'Spike Island'

Tom
Old 14th August 2012, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB.WHITTAKER View Post
Come on Leo name names,
we all know it was Dai Davies and Tom Quayle, cheers Bob Whittaker
Your half right Bob. It was Dai in drag(God rest his soul) The 2nd Eng was a Geordie lad, Tom Quayle was 3rd Eng at the time if my memory was right. I think it was John Jubbs wife who had the photo removed from the bar.

Regards

Leo
Old 14th August 2012, 16:34

Hi ex-Cavendish guys,
I would love to see some of those 'Drag' photo's over the Officers Bar now, I don't remember anyone with three rings & above having the 'initiation' (I was 3/E), Like us lower ranks.

The 2/E's [Geordie Dave's] wife reckoned I had nice legs. the Wives even made up our Hair & face. All good fun... although I did'nt have too much hair.

Dai Davies (RIP), was a Taffy Character, he loved his smokes & booze, but would always turn to, the next morning, bright as a button.

It was all 'go' on the ship & although lively & sociable, the ship was run officially & expertly by all hands onboard, on upper & lower decks.

I remember being on a manual watch (for some reason, manoeuvering or something), & seeing water cascading down the stern of the upper part of the Engineroom.

A valve had burst on a pump suction in a well, in the steering flat causing the leak, which drenched the engineroom. But although an issue, it soon got fixed.

I still preferred the bulk Carriers.... less danger.

I loved my 5 years at sea, but have no regrets about coming ashore for the rest of my Engineering career, which was varied, interesting & enriching.

Best Regards, Arthur C. (Perth, W.Oz) at sea 1970-75.
Old 14th August 2012, 22:18
Active: 1972 - 1983

Remember an Hydraulic hose bursting in the steering flat and hand pumping gallons of oil back in to the system. Oh joy.
Gas Boats. Give me the Westbury & Banbury any day.
Ian.
Old 15th August 2012, 14:15

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Malcom, do you remember or perhaps you weren't there when the 2nd Eng posed with the black pudding. I do remember an Electrician paying off in Santos in Margaret Mitchell's clothes.

Regards

Leo
Hi Leo, Just as a matter of interest was the black pudding on for breakfast next day!! I thought the dressing up in female clothing was the domain of the Catering department. At least it was for a certain 2nd Cook ( Molly) I sailed with on the Mabel Warwick.. Alan
Old 15th August 2012, 16:11

Hi Arthur,

I was five times on the Cavendish from Junior to 2/E and a short stint as a temporary C/E and I am glad to say the cross dressing had passed by the time I joined.

I saw nothing wrong with wearing platform soled shoes painted many colors and cut off boilers suits but "Benny" took issue with my outfit especially when he found out I was the second and due to take over as Chief.

I have photos of most of the ships I sailed on mounted on a wall in my home with the Cavendish in the center and bigger than the others.

It may sound strange but when work over here is very busy and I am trying to relax I think back to those days and see if I remember the location of the equipment and the pipe runs, strangely I do relax and often wonder if what I remember is correct, I first joined on the 14th of June 1976 in Cadiz Drydock and celebrated my 21st birthday a week later sitting at the little cafe at the dock gates.

As for the ship itself I remember those reed valves in the scavenges, grinding the air compressor valves and the purifier room, taking those Westfalia purifiers apart when they were full of hardened sludge.

Alan Lowery and Charlie Wilcox, the second steward who I think was called Stuart, the little AB from Liverpool who was as brown as a berry.

C/E John from Hartlepool who wacked me over the head. He was an intense crib player and I was made to play as his partner. He was getting more upset with my playing and during a break one of the others suggested that to get back in his good books I should ask him about the "monkey". Needless to say that did not go down to well and I spent the next week either cleaning the bilges or hiding from him.

Could go on and on but will not bore you all. The Joule and the Black Max were definately harder working ships but except for my last couple of months on the Cavendish (which were hell on earth) I will always have better memories from "my ship"
Old 16th August 2012, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
Hi Leo, Just as a matter of interest was the black pudding on for breakfast next day!! I thought the dressing up in female clothing was the domain of the Catering department. At least it was for a certain 2nd Cook ( Molly) I sailed with on the Mabel Warwick.. Alan
Hi Alan,you know we never wasted good food and it was a Cavendish thing regarding ladies clothes but it was as Malcolm recalls, a very happy ship.
Regards
Leo
Old 10th September 2012, 15:54

Smile Cavendish & good Fun

This is Arthur again, I have some great memories from that ship (C1973). It was run professionally by a good team. C/E John from Hartlepool was that (John Coates?), I sailed with him, he was a Top Guy. I was X 3/E.

I don't know why they had the 'Drag' initiation, maybe something the late Dai Dreamed up. The party's were good & we always ended up with Roy Southgate & Wife Sylvia, making Cheese on Toast for Supper.

I started this thread & it has given me pleasure to hear about events I left 38 years ago & as I have said before, I feel I made the right choice joining the Houlder /F. Withy Team, over other shipping Co's.

We had a Magical night one night when Capt. Tom Walcott (RIP) had a Banzai party later in the voyage. The run at that time for Cavendish was Gulf to Japan, which was boring. We had orders for Santos & my relief came, so I never got to lovely South America, during my 5year MN career... pity.

I think the BBC should make a Documentary of John Houlder's long & interesting life, he did so much.. he was an adventurer & revered by everyone who met him.

Keep the threads coming, they are happy memories of younger days.

Arthur C. (Swift), Perth, W. Oz.
Old 16th October 2012, 20:04

My location
I see the name Willie Jackson popping up.The last I heard, after sailing with him in the last 6-7 years,That he is or was until a couple of years ago,still sailing 3rd on one of Technips offshore vessels,after the consolidation of the ex Houlder offshore vessels Orelia and Uncle John with the Stena Offshore vessels.
If it is the same Willie,He lives in the Wrexham area
Old 30th October 2012, 11:21

Talking Willie Jackson 3/E

Many Thanks Geoff,
Willie was a good shipmate & loved Fillet Steak & tossed Salad (he said it was called; Beefy Lomo in Argentina), I will have to get to that part of the world one day.

But no doubt it will have changed from the old days, 40 yrs or more ago.

They had some tough time in the 1980's when the Junta of Galtieri & others tried to destroy this lovely place.

Cheers, hoping Willie, indeed from Wrexham. Reads these posts one day.

Arthur C. (the taffy Aussie) ex 3/E, Houlders.
Old 30th October 2012, 22:35

When we went to Dock Sud, B.A. on the Faraday and Cavendish depending which way the wind was blowing in the morning you either smelt the vapours from the oil storage tanks or the smell from the cattle processing plant. I believe the corned beef factory has now gone and is now a container terminal. No doubt the Scandy Bar and London Bar are also long gone.

As you say Arthur, no doubt it will have changed from 40 years ago, it was a good run ashore.
Tom.
Old 31st October 2012, 01:42

Wink Beunos Aires & Montevidao

Thanks Tom,
This is Arthur again from Oz, cheers for your reply. I know that this subject for Houlders Guy's of, from 1940's & earlier to possibly 1980 or so, could start a lot of great stories.

As said being a bulk carrier /Tanker guy, I missed out on all the fun of going to these + Santos.

The Houlder guy's were revered here & many good friendships were made between locals & ships company's of Houlders Reefers, Gen. Cargo, Tankers & other vessels.

As Tom said, no doubt this is all different now, but Argentina is still prosperous & we get few Immigrants from there coming to Oz, plenty from Brazil + other SA country's.

I would love to hear any good experiences from any ship's staff about their times in South America.

Arthur.