Ships Nostalgia banner

unknown ship wreck

5K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  fourmaster1250 
#1 ·
Hello sailing ships community,
again I bought a RPPC showing a ship in distress near the coast. Year and place of the accident is unknown and even the type of ship is not to identify because of the gone rear mast. Ships name and owner - no idea!
Any information will be appreciated!
Reinhard Stadthaus
(fourmaster1250)

Attachments

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
I have leafed trough every page of my five books on shipwrecks and now given up the search, but am not sure that Eddyw is right about where she was built. That bow looks to me like what MacGregor calls an Aberdeen bow, and those dark vertical stripes along the long deckhouse also looks British to me. (And that opinion still stands if it is the inside of the outer bulwark we are seeing.) I have never seen that sort of paint decoration in a picture of an American ship...Writing this I am beginning to convince myself, and in a few moments I may be willing to say that her overall looks are much more Aberdeen than East Boston as well. But maybe I will wait with this - that Eddyw fellow are susceptible to drag her name seemingly out of pure darkness. And that would then be "General John B. Something" out of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, I am sure. (==D)

#9 ·
Afraid I have absolutely no clue where she was built, Stein. Clear though that the reverse process is taking place. The bulwarks aft have been destroyed and what could be interpreted as the 'vertical stripes along the long deck house' amidships seems to me to be the daylight showing through frames and rail where the bulwark planking has been washed away. Its the sort of photo the Gibsons might have taken often commissioned by the local Lloyds agent to provide evidence for the claim against the insurers. But Alan says not one of theirs so ......?

#13 ·
Yes, sails intact and she is carrying a lot of them for stormy conditions. Evident efforts to reduce sail before abandonment. Possibly she went aground in calm(ish) weather, perhaps poor visibility (night time or fog?) Could be hard aground, filling with the tide, damage being caused by wave action at high water?

#15 · (Edited)
Not gone any further, but I would like to air the opinion that it may not be a gaff topsail we are seeing furthest aft. A gaff topsail would be fastened with mast hoops at the top half, and have a cut-out below to give place for the doubling. The picture is a good one, I doubt that it has stayed hidden since it was made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.