Ships Nostalgia banner

MV Friso

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Wingspan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi
Just joined this very interesting site for all who are interested in matters of the sea ........great to be here !

Anyone know anything about the dutch coaster FRISO ?

I served aboard her in 1959 before she was lost in the North Sea in Oct. 1960

#2 ·
#9 ·
Report in The Times

Hi.

One small article in The Times:

The Times, Tuesday, Oct 25, 1960
NORTH SEA SEARCH FOR SIX MEN
COASTER CAPSIZES
ESBJERG, DENMARK, Oct. 24.- Ships
from five nations were tonight searching
for survivors from the 399-ton Dutch
coaster Friso which capsized and sank
in the North Sea off the coast of Jutland
this morning.
One of the seven members of the
crew, the first engineer, was rescued
hours later by a German ship from a
lifeboat. He did not know what had
happened to the others. Another man
disappeared seconds before he could be
rescued by a Hamburg freighter. He
was being pulled to the rescue ship on
a line but lost his hold.
Besides ships from Britain, Germany,
Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, an
aircraft of the Danish Air Force also
took part in the search, which is to
continue tomorrow.- Reuter

regards,
Martin

#15 ·
I have just been looking for items of interest concerning the history of my village, Porthleven in Cornwall, and happened to come across this request.
During the mid 1950,s a Dutch Coaster called the Friso struck a rock on Lizard Point during a snow storm and began taking on water.
The crew managed to bring the ship into Mounts Bay and fearing that the vessel was about to founder off the port of Porthleven began to abandon ship.
The local harbourmaster, Mr Charles Arthur, got together a crew and proceeded to the vessel in the local pilot boat.
They suceeded in securing a rope to the vessel and towed her along with her crew into Porthleven.
At the time the tide was ebbing and the ship grounded near to the entrance into the inner harbour. On the next tide the vessel was brought into the inner harbour where her cargo of china clay was unloaded and temporary repairs were made.
I remember the incident well as I would have been about ten years old at the time and a group of us were playing in the snow and throwing snowballs ( a rare occurance in Cornwall) when the coastguard maroon was fired.
When informed that a ship was sinking and being brought in we all made our way down to the harbour and watched the event.

#16 ·
friso

I have just been looking for items of interest concerning the history of my village, Porthleven in Cornwall, and happened to come across this request.
During the mid 1950,s a Dutch Coaster called the Friso struck a rock on Lizard Point during a snow storm and began taking on water.
The crew managed to bring the ship into Mounts Bay and fearing that the vessel was about to founder off the port of Porthleven began to abandon ship.
The local harbourmaster, Mr(Frogger) Charles Arthur, got together a crew and proceeded to the vessel in the local pilot boat.
They suceeded in securing a rope to the vessel and towed her along with her crew into Porthleven.
At the time the tide was ebbing and the ship grounded near to the entrance into the inner harbour. On the next tide the vessel was brought into the inner harbour where her cargo of china clay was unloaded and temporary repairs were made.
I remember the incident well as I would have been about ten years old at the time and a group of us were playing in the snow and throwing snowballs ( a rare occurance in Cornwall) when the coastguard maroon was fired.
When informed that a ship was sinking and being brought in we all made our way down to the harbour and watched the event.
Is there any picture of this or news papper reports love to see them. Thanks

#17 · (Edited)
Pictures of the Friso

Pictures of the Friso been launched in 1955. A few pictures in her day. 3 of the seven crew were Michael Williams, of Dalkey,
Vincent Hayes & Frances Gethings of Wexford & Wicklow. The 3 young men were Irish. The Friso was launched on the 25 May 1955 & completion of the Friso was in August 1955. But on the Monday 24 October 1960 the Friso was battered by a storm of Jutland Denmark & 6 very young men lost there life's the youngest was only 16 year of age. There was one survivor found in a lifeboat. The Friso had 2 Lifeboats only one of the Lifeboats was able to be launched as the ship had tilted 45 degrees before sinking. None of the bodies were recovered.

Attachments

#18 ·
Friso last trip

Dutch ship wrecked in a storm only driver of friso probably was rescued six crew drowned load of 399 tonnes measuring coaster friso yesterday and storm sos signals and exceptions which nahalf eleven yesterday morning nothing more was heard only one man saved must be assumed ship an the other six must be taken mange t ship and the other six crew members in the waves are gone the rescued was the first driver to have disappeared
chief engineer dijksta be he drove into a lifeboat around and was picked up by the German freighter Edmund stalk the man stated that the friso yesterday morning at half past twelve sank the ship that was loaded with coke had some time sluurloos drifted in a furious gale force 8 to 9 whipped waves. The driver had jumped overboard when the ship capsized
Tragically, the failed rescue boat that German Thyssen anita has tried to perform. Starting this ship they saw a young man in life jacket on a wooden hatch office drive the man they threw a rope that he actually managed to get hold
when they hoisted him on board left the exhausted sailor However, in the mid-fuselage few seconds before he would be the rope losen collapsed into the water and turn immediately swept away by the waves safely
Twenty ships of German, Danish, Norwegian, British and Netherlands se nationality and three catalina-flying boats of the Danish navy have yesterday to the darkness search the other sailors which it was hoped that they would still floating in a lifeboat roud
This morning is the look that is highly complicated by the still bad resumes. It eats the worst. A Catalina flying-boat wreckage seen driving after confused reports that have seen driving the German freighter francessa a man in a life jacket in the water and as one would a rocket
twenty ships of german danish norwegian British and Netherlands se nationality and three Catalina flying boats of the Danish navy have yesterday to the darkness to the other sailors wanted warrvan it was hoped that she joined lifeboat would float have observed are not happy messages more around entered the search is concentrated in the area north and 0.517 degrees north and the property of the Dutch render j.klugkist who has been living in Dublin where he's Irish and continental shipping. corp ltd leads with a companion he was visiting yesterday at his mother in Huizum not only friso was the victim severe storm that yesterday the Scandinavian North Sea coast iven lost seven fishermen is the body's surplus driffend found in sea

#19 ·
Hey Everyone,

very interesting reading this all would love to get as much info about this as possible i heard of diaries of sailors aboard her, does anyone know where i could find these? also just curious Wingspan if you might know if the Chief Engineer is still alive or any info about him would be great.

Thanks

#22 ·
Hi Sam,

Not sure if you're getting confused by the fact that the Mate (PJ van Sweden) was originally thought to have been on board, and was reported as a fatality, but was then found to have left the ship weeks previously. So he was a "survivor" in a manner of speaking. Dijkstra was the only actual survivor of the sinking. Cheers.

Brian

#23 ·
Hi Brian,

ah i see that makes more sense now! yeah google translate doesn't translate perfectly!! I am starting to delve into this event as my Great Uncle (Micheal Matthews) was one of the men who perished on board her and i want to start writing on this so any other info or pictures or anything of that sort would really help in this story being told. i need to get a better translator to read through the articles you have linked me to many thanks again for that its a big help!

Sam

#25 ·
Tom Murdock

Hi Sam
I am Tom Murdock (wingspan) and knew Michael very well. We never served aboard "FRISO" together but worked aboard the salvage vessel "CLEARWATER" together based in dunlaoghaire in the late 1950's.
Sadly I know only the newspaper reports of the sinking at the time. I don't know if the first engineer is still alive in Holland. I am on Facebook regards Tom Murdock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.