Wanna hire a British aircraft carrier? - Ships Nostalgia
07:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Wanna hire a British aircraft carrier?

User Tag List

Old 3rd February 2020, 10:14

My location
Wanna hire a British aircraft carrier?

The British army thinks its a good idea.....

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...roubles-118571
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:08

Are all the RN carriers measurements of everything in metric and do the US Navy still work in feet, inches, short tons and US gallons as the Americans seem to know of nothing else?
That should be fun.
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1962 - 1979

Believe HMS Victorious was lent to the US Navy in WW2 with US squadrons flying off it with the associated FAA squadrons flying off a US carrier.
Old 6th February 2020, 23:32
Active: 1964 - 1969

I would imagine in WW2 we British were still working in feet, inches, pounds, stones, quarters, hundredweights, rods, poles and perches. It wasn't until the "Common Market" came along in the mid 70's that we had to comply with Napoleon's dictates.

What now, with Brexit?

When I arrived in NZ in 1974, a quarter-acre plot for your new house was measured in perches, 40 to the quarter-acre.

Now 2.5 acres is 1 hectare, whatever that is. Lots of useless unimaginable measurements in the metric system, 1 bar is a standard atmosphere but it's too big so we have millibars, but what is a kilopascal or a hectopascal? A Torr? forget it! Bring Back PSI - I understand them!

Last edited by majoco; 6th February 2020 at 23:42..
Old 6th February 2020, 23:49
Active: 1953 - 1963

With ss Canberra, P&O, it was imposed(?) to use U.S. electrical standards - in case she had a future as a hospital ship and so follow N.A.T.O. requirements. So we all had to get personal radios, tape recorders and record players that would work with 115 volts and 60 cycles. Strange that the ship only ever saw action in the Falklands where there was no NATO or, definitely, no U.S. involvement.
Old 7th February 2020, 02:09
Department: Engineering

What of the Ness Class RFAs that went to the US Sealift Command. All the spanner sizes were Whitworth.
During my time with American oil companies everything was easy. AF or AC. Fine or coarse. Tube fittings NPT..National Pipe Thread.
Pressure..PSI. You could see it and feel it instinctively . In Australia it's the Pascal. kiloPascals and megaPascals. Bars in the UK. Not having a Bar of that!

Remember to.. Think metric, every inch of the way !
Old 7th February 2020, 02:40
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Buy 3 metres of 4"x2" today and its less than 10' 0" long!
I believe those in the kitchen are still having a struggle with recipes being written in both codes . I've scratched the centremeter size on all the baking tins to avoid my partner having to find a tape measure all the time.
The full spread of my palm thumb tip to little finger tip is about 9 inches and when I put a round cake tin to the test and declare it to be about 1" bigger than my spread therefore a 10" one , I am treated with distrust and remarks like "call yourself an engineer , how inaccurate is that " .
I cope but cannot stop the mind reflecting back to old measurement values just to be sure.

Bob
Old 7th February 2020, 10:43
Active: 1964 - 2002

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Are all the RN carriers measurements of everything in metric and do the US Navy still work in feet, inches, short tons and US gallons as the Americans seem to know of nothing else?
The metric system was brought in to the USA as the preferred system in the 1970's.
However it was not enforced because the public simply ignored it, due to the problems metrication would cause, as it has and still do here.
So you still go the the hardware store and ask for an 8 by 4 sheet of ply.
You can ask for an 8x4 here of course, but you will get a metric equivalent, can't you? Well no. The board you get is a few mm smaller. Might not seem a lot, but if you are trying to match it up with an existing item it will not fit properly. Even worse with bricks If you have ever extended an old wall with metric-equivalent bricks.
However the USA has adopted the International Building Code, but they have had to convert many metric measurements to imperial... eg the max distance between balustrades is 3- 37/64ths.
US aviation still uses Imperial measurements, indeed so does the rest of the World - for distance, speed and altitude.
I daresay our aircraft carriers are all metric, but not the F35's that they exist for. Not that it matters much.
But even the U.S. Imperial sizes are not all the same as the UK Imperial sizes, as anyone who has wondered why US Pint glasses look smaller than UK ones. They are!
I think I may have gone off topic somewhat......https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

Last edited by spaarks; 7th February 2020 at 10:58.. Reason: left out something
Old 7th February 2020, 16:40

Regarding timber and sheet material. It was established long before the Metric system was imposed on the UK that timber is sawn and sold by the 'metric foot' or 30cm, hence why it is sold as 180mm, 240mm etc.
A piece of 4 x 2 is now 100mm x 47mm which is close unless you are extending some old stud-work, then you need packing.
An 8 x 4 sheet, in most materials is still 8 x 4 but called 1220 x 2440.

Engineering is a whole different matter. - Best Never to mix!

I am more than happy to work in any system of measurement, even some obscure and archaic, but grant that the actual components should not be interchanged.

Have you ever wondered why wine is sold in 750ml bottles? - There are apx 6 bottle to an imperial gallon and of course wine is sold in boxes of a dozen, or half dozen.
Old 7th February 2020, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoco View Post
I would imagine in WW2 we British were still working in feet, inches, pounds, stones, quarters, hundredweights, rods, poles and perches. It wasn't until the "Common Market" came along in the mid 70's that we had to comply with Napoleon's dictates.

What now, with Brexit?

When I arrived in NZ in 1974, a quarter-acre plot for your new house was measured in perches, 40 to the quarter-acre.

Now 2.5 acres is 1 hectare, whatever that is. Lots of useless unimaginable measurements in the metric system, 1 bar is a standard atmosphere but it's too big so we have millibars, but what is a kilopascal or a hectopascal? A Torr? forget it! Bring Back PSI - I understand them!
Nothing to do with Napoleon.
The British Standards Institution (BSI) chose to stimulate metrication discussion in May 1962 by issuing a short statement on the subject. The introduction of the metric system was a topic at the Fifth Commonwealth Standards Conference that was held in Sydney in October 1962. Also in October 1963, the BSI, based on the results of inquiries by its committees, stated that their view was that changes in the field of measurement were inevitable. They also stated that they thought these changes should be channelled towards the metric system becoming the primary weights and measures system for the UK as soon as possible.

My kids, and their kids were all taught metric and do not recognise Imperial measurements or coinage. Mentions of half a crown or rod pole or perch sails right over their heads.
I'm afraid you are pissing into the wind Martin, there's no going back.
Old 8th February 2020, 07:06

When the decimal system hit Oz I took to it like a duck to water. I don't try and compare kilograms to ozs/pounds/stone etc. Once I knew I was 110kg why would I also want to know how many ozs/pounds & stone I was ? My height is 179cm. Why on earth do I need to know how many feet & inches that is.
For those Neanderthals that want to live in the past I suggest you get fair dinkum and measure your height and land size in cubits. Also insist on paying for a beer in pounds-shillings & pence.
And if you are too stupid to work out that a 8" cake tin is 20cm then you're too stupid to cook.
Old 8th February 2020, 07:16

No need for any of these unit of measurement complications. One only has to watch so called 'documentaries' on TV these days where measurements and dimensions are often quoted in:
  • Double decker busses
  • Olympic swimming pools
  • Jumbo jets
  • Blocks of flats
  • Sydney Harbours
  • Eiffel Towers
  • Statues of Liberty
  • Football grounds
  • Traffic light cycles
  • Dates as 'before or after the football grand final' (in 1990, perhaps)
  • Rainfall is measured both in 'heaps' as well as 'months'
  • Some things are weighed in 'houses'
  • xx times the size of a city (or country)
  • Bull elephants (no doubt the feminist elephant movement will be offended)
  • Trams in Melbourne are weighed in Hippopotamuses

I always thought that this sort of rubbish was a product of relatively recent media/journalism but here is one from 1899. Not from a newspaper but rather the British 'United Service Magazine'. I found it interesting nevertheless!

The year is 1899 and involves the Turks being thrown out of Crete courtesy of various European gunboats:

...... 'Their furniture, beds, pianos, carpets and general loot and rubbish making a pile as big as a frigate ....'.

ARRrrrrrrrGGGGGGGGGGhhhhhhhhhh .............................
Old 8th February 2020, 08:41

At one time I needed to report the size of a broken window which I did in millimetres.
I had a reply from further up the line asking (telling me) to use the 'old' measurements.
I responded with the size in ells and thumbs, with a supplementary in pous and digits.
There was no further correspondance.
Old 8th February 2020, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Nothing to do with Napoleon.
The British Standards Institution (BSI) chose to stimulate metrication discussion in May 1962 by issuing a short statement on the subject. The introduction of the metric system was a topic at the Fifth Commonwealth Standards Conference that was held in Sydney in October 1962. Also in October 1963, the BSI, based on the results of inquiries by its committees, stated that their view was that changes in the field of measurement were inevitable. They also stated that they thought these changes should be channelled towards the metric system becoming the primary weights and measures system for the UK as soon as possible.

My kids, and their kids were all taught metric and do not recognise Imperial measurements or coinage. Mentions of half a crown or rod pole or perch sails right over their heads.
I'm afraid you are pissing into the wind Martin, there's no going back.
I am by no means young but have always worked in metric and even when driving in the UK I set my satnav to metric; it simply makes more sense to me.
As you say there is no going back and the majority of the world uses metric.
Old 8th February 2020, 10:25

Hiring a car in the UK, and the speedo is graduated in MPH and also KM/h. Thats realy useful for me as I can instantly see the comparative speeds. Here in Aus the speedo is only in KM/h, so boring. However I still inflate my tyres in PSI. Even though my Audi recommended pressures are in all sorts of units. Thank goodness they never metricated the Volt.
Old 8th February 2020, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Hiring a car in the UK, and the speedo is graduated in MPH and also KM/h. Thats realy useful for me as I can instantly see the comparative speeds. Here in Aus the speedo is only in KM/h, so boring. However I still inflate my tyres in PSI. Even though my Audi recommended pressures are in all sorts of units. Thank goodness they never metricated the Volt.
You are not alone Norm.
I use metric for everything except pressures where I still (and will continue to) use psi for tyres and airbrakes etc.
Old 11th February 2020, 04:11

Thankfully they never metricated the Volt. Our 12 volt batteries would become 10 volts.
Old 14th February 2020, 00:01
Active: 1953 - 1963

I think the U.S. should "suck it up" and get on board with the change. The rest of the world was educated enough to suck it up and be able to move to metric - as it was mandated - sort of. Talk about mandating - remember when Sweden had to change over to left-hand drive on the roads? A good job THAT was mandated for one September at 5 a.m. in 1967. Probably the insurance companies had a miserable time the next day.
Old 14th February 2020, 10:41

PSI for tyres and other pressures. Why ?
I've been using kPa ( kilopascals ) here in Oz for nigh on 50 years - no problems whatsoever.
Old 14th February 2020, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
You are not alone Norm.
I use metric for everything except pressures where I still (and will continue to) use psi for tyres and airbrakes etc.
However, the time may come when you will need to communicate the air pressure in some crucial pice of kit to a person much younger than you, whose response will be, "Yer Whaa?"
Old 14th February 2020, 20:38

Whatever the label says on the driver's door shut I go with.
If it is psi - then I look at the psi scale.
If it is Bar - then I use the Bar scale.
If it happened to use kPa then I still us the bar scale, same thing x100.
If it happened to use kg/m2 - then I look in the book or guess.
Old 19th February 2020, 09:14

I want to know why you cant read the tyre pressure label on the drivers door jamb from where you sit inside the car, with the door open. Why is it always stuck on the opposite way so you have to get out the car and kneel on the dirty ground to read it. Then you have to see what the compressed air pump is graduated in to set it. Also my biggest gripe is why you have to pay for air in UK, when it is free to use in Australia. Considering petrol is twice the price of petrol in Australia, you'ld think that the air could be free !
Old 21st February 2020, 22:06
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

My location
Unbelievable!
Someone advertises an Aircraft Carrier, and the question turns into a discussion about metrication, poles and perches!
No wonder the Royal Navy is going down the drain.

Proud to be a Kiwi Janner
Old 21st February 2020, 22:29

I think it all went adrift at #2 when Geoff implied that if Uncle Sam wants to borrow our ship then he might also need to invest in a new set of spanners.
For thread drift that must be a record.
Old 22nd February 2020, 04:41

Nobody wants to talk about aircraft carriers any more it seems. I made a comment about the Ness Class RFAs going to the USA, all with Whitworth spanners, but no one was interested so I joined the talk about tyre pressures.
I am sure there has been much worse thread drift before.