Makrana & Mawana - Ships Nostalgia
19:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Makrana & Mawana

User Tag List

Old 28th May 2019, 15:00

Makrana & Mawana

Another question, am I right in saying the Makrana had two Scotch boilers and one water tube?
Was she the only one in the fleet like this or did the next the Mawana have same, Mangla amd Mathura were fitted with water tubeboilers..
Old 28th May 2019, 15:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 1975

My location
Exclamation Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by japottinger View Post
Another question, am I right in saying the Makrana had two Scotch boilers and one water tube?
Was she the only one in the fleet like this or did the next the Mawana have same, Mangla amd Mathura were fitted with water tubeboilers..
An odd combination which was on just those two ships, 'Makrana' and 'Mawana'.

After my 'seven-Monther', (on 'Matheran'), Mr. Evans', (THAT was the name of the Office bloke who let us know which ship we were going to for our next trip wasn't it?), must have felt sorry for me as I was sent to 'Makrana' as J/4th. 'The Duke', (Dougie Ruddick), was CE.

'Makrana' was, I believe, one of the first ABC, (Atomic Bacterial Chemical), warfare ships. Their engine-rooms could be 'sealed-off' in the event of having to sail through an area which may have been contaminated with Atomic radiation, Chemicals or Bacteria.

'Orders' had been received, as we steamed down The Med, for us to 'batten-down' as though we were under attack.

The main vent-fans were shut-down with only the 'extract fans' going.

The temperature rapidly soared to the point where it was getting dangerously high so 'Dougie' went-up to The Old Man, (Paddy Jackson), and said we would have to abandon the exercise because of those huge temperatures.

Paddy, being the gent he was, agreed and 'normality' was resumed!

It was amazing what a difference those big fans made!

There were, so I believe, plans to do a 'change-over' (on the boiler situation), from the FW main boiler to the two Scotch boilers but it never happened thank f1ck!!!

After the ABC cock-up I think the powers-that-be must have thought "Leave well alone!".

I was on 'Makrana' for three years going from J/4th. to S/3rd. Phil
Old 28th May 2019, 16:46

My location
We came across Makrana as was in Mombassa in late '73. Named Aegis Eternity with Greek flag they were trying to get one scotch boiler running to complete the voyage and go for scrap. Makrana had problems in '70 when I was 3rd Mate on her; a stop start event, one of which was a partial brickwork collapse in the water tube boiler. The Duke of Bootle was still Chief Eng.
Old 28th May 2019, 22:25

Many thanks Phil. Reason I queried the Mawana as there is a photo in George O'Hara's book Ironfighters, Outfitters and Bowler Hats of, I quote, "two single end watertube Scotch boilers purporting to be for the Mathura", which is incorrect as we now know, so I assume they were for Makrana or Mawana. They are clearly shown as Scotch boilers. Jim Souter may have this book also.
Old 28th May 2019, 22:27

Which combination if any did you steam with Phil?
Old 29th May 2019, 09:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 1975

My location
Thumbs up Always-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by japottinger View Post
Which combination if any did you steam with Phil?
----FW for propulsion and one Scotch boiler for the Ashworth & Parker "Jenny's" and Clark Chapman "fully-enclosed" winches. (Incidentally they were absolutely brilliant needing next-to-no maintenance as their bearings, valve-gear, ran in an oil-bath. So, when the winches were being 'worked' they were, like an ic engine, (car, wagon, bus, etc.), smothered in oil. Unlike the winches on 'Matheran' which were 'open' and needed constant maintenance. This was done, on the 'normal' field days, by the two Juniors [J/4th and 'Fiver'].

We'd run one Scotch boiler outward bound then, when we got to Cal, we'd swap-over and run the other one which had been overhauled. We'd then overhaul the boiler which had been running.

Another 'incidentally' too!

Those A&P engines were superb! I believe they were developed as the main engine for trawlers but, as the old steam-trawlers were phased-out in favour of diesel, the A&P engines were used as 'jenny's' on MN ships. Ok on the DC ships but a bit 'fiddly' on AC! (Nothing serious! Bit of a 'pain' when 'coupling-up' and getting the CPS, [Cycles Per Second], synchronised!). Luckily the switchboard was at the after-end of the engine room running across the ship so, when there was a need for another "jenny" the bloke on the switchboard could see his partner poised with a light 'martool', to give the governor-rod a light 'encouragement' in an upward direction, (more speed/CPS), or downwards, (less speed/CPS) until the synchroscope was going sufficiently slowly, (clockwise), 'til it approached the 12 o'clock position at which point the guy on the switchboard would slam the breaker in and 'Bingo!' you had two 'jennys' paralleled-up! 'kin 'ell! Fifty years since I last did that and still remember how to do it! Phil

Last edited by Philthechill; 29th May 2019 at 23:48..
Old 29th May 2019, 19:18

Thanks Phil, must have been a single powerful boiler to use as propulsion only. We had AP steam generator on the Matra, a real whispering giant it was too.