Port Napier - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Port Napier

User Tag List

Old 25th September 2012, 18:51
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1969 - 1971

Port Napier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Spencer View Post
I was on that trip also Phill..It was a great trip..Been trying to remember some of the guys that were there...Sad end to a great ship...

Hi Dave, I joined the ship also in Falmouth, the first person I met was dougie the 2nd steward ,tommy who was the waiter. There was deck hand who was a prince Charles look alike. Myself and another deckie hung on to him around aus , we went to radio stations at most of the ports and the odd party. I seem to remember I sold a stack of mirrors that I got out of the state rooms on the way round it was a great trip. My e mail is p. [email protected], your right it was a sad end
Old 25th September 2012, 19:07
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1969 - 1971

Hi Dave, I joined in Falmouth, there was doug the2nd steward and tommy the waiter. A deck hand was a prince Charles look alike and myself and a young deckhand hung on to him around aus where we went to radio stations and the odd party. The 3rd engineer was a bit of a lad, he was a funny guy. There was a fair mix of people on that trip that's for sure, lots of gear went off that old girl before we got to scrap. Your dead right it was a sad end. My e mail is [email protected] .co.uk, all the best phill
Old 25th September 2012, 19:54

My location
Unbeknown to me at the time, one of my neighbours turned out to be a niece of Captain Andy McClounan.
She did a bit of Shiatzou (she hits you) in her spare time and during one of these sessions she told me how she had inherited some of her uncle's possessions when he died.

He had been master of this fine ship, 2nd Sept. 1964 to 6th July 1965.
Andy kept a comprehensive log of his entire sea-going career which had been spent entirely in Port Line commencing Aug.1922.
Can I contribute anything to this thread which would be of interest?

One of the artefacts his niece gave me was this little match case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Port Line matchbox.jpg (48.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 20th May 2017, 23:24

Port Napier

I sailed on the Port Napier in 1965. I was in the galley. When we arrived at Auckland New Zealand on 4/10/1965. A friend of mine Dave and I decided that we would Jump ship which we did. I would like to connect with anyone else who was on that voyage and if anyone has some crew photo's that they could share. All my photo's were destroyed years ago.
I thank you all for your help and look forward to many hours on this site.
regards
Vince Sweet
Old 30th May 2017, 15:22

Hi Davy, I'm newish to this technology, are you the same Davy Spencerwho sailed on the Port Caroline about 1976 time. On a Johnson Line charter to South America. I think your mate was a guy called Pete Bradley and Patrick James Finsalbach. We went on to Australia, Russia the Black Sea, and paid off in Singapore. I was a mechanic then the other mechanic Brian Wintle go left in Russia with appendicitis. About the last trip of the Port Napier Was Sammy Logan the Bosun and Terry Criton was O.S. And the Aeroplane tyre trip.
Old 4th June 2017, 11:48
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1972

Phil Randall

I sailed on the Napier as Junior Second Engineer from Nov 66 to April 67, Went through the Suez just before the war that closed it. Not the happiest of trips, personalities play a major part n the lasting memories of trips.
Phil R
Old 5th June 2017, 13:29

Hi Phil, your right about good people making a good trip even when the ship your on is a floating rust bucket. I sailed on the Port Nicholson in mid 1971 a beautiful ship but the worst trip I ever sailed on, nearly jacked it in but gave it another go. Went on to have some great trips in Port line mostly on the older ships, chatty but happy. Went on to the Act boats strictly for the money, good crowds as well still miss the ships and the Aussie and kiwi coasts. Erbbie.
Old 8th June 2017, 03:46
Active: 1964 - 1972

Phil Randall

I too sailed on the Port Nicholson. Joined in NZ in 1964 and did the return trip to London as 3rd fridge and the next trip. I then stayed with Port Line until 1972, passed my Chiefs, got married and decided that that was enough and settled back in Melb.
Other ships, Port Wellington 6th, Port Hobart 5th, Port Sydney 3rd and 4th, Port Napier J2, Port St Lawrence J2, Port Lyttleton J2, Port Nelson J2, Port Vindex 2nd, Port Auckland 2nd, Port New Plymouth 2nd, Port Chalmers 2nd, Port Alfred 2nd, Port Launceston 2nd.
At about that time we went from 30 ships to about 6. The ACT fleet was taking over and the common market was changing everything.
I could rattle on for hours,
Phil R.
Old 8th June 2017, 09:37
Active: 1967 - 1971

Nice to see you have checked out shipsnostalgia Phil, I see you have already recieved mail, with a bit of luck you might touch base with some of your old shipmate friends good luck.
Brian Wright.
Old 14th July 2019, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyabrahams View Post
I sailed on the Port Napier in 1965. I was in the galley. When we arrived at Auckland New Zealand on 4/10/1965. A friend of mine Dave and I decided that we would Jump ship which we did. I would like to connect with anyone else who was on that voyage and if anyone has some crew photo's that they could share. All my photo's were destroyed years ago.
I thank you all for your help and look forward to many hours on this site.
regards
Vince Sweet
I think I remember you from the Port Napier, I was a first trip deckboy in 1965, signed on in Liverpool. You were second cook, I think. I bumped into you again in Aucklkand in 1966, where I too had jumped ship. I lasted 6 weeks before being arrested (you were actually present when I was nabbed!) I spent 5weeks in jail before being sent home on a Shaw Saville ship. Amazingly, I was allowed to go back to sea.