Captain George Jarvis SS Duquesna 1924 - Ships Nostalgia
22:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Captain George Jarvis SS Duquesna 1924

User Tag List

Old 24th September 2016, 13:51

Captain George Jarvis SS Duquesna 1924

Hello Researching family history, my great uncle Master Mariner, Captain George Jarvis on the SS Duquesa died in Montevideo on 13.10.1924, aged 52 and is buried in the British Cemetery there. The informant on death certificate was Thomas Lewis, Clerk, Messrs. Houlder Bros. & Co. Ltd. Agents, Montevideo. Wondering if there is any other information I can come across. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 24th September 2016, 15:03

You might find something in the crew agreement/list - obtainable from here:https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/view...cial_No=140578

Dave W
Old 24th September 2016, 15:10

Hello,
I guess you have the information from GRO Consular Deaths Indices

First name(s) GEORGE
Last name JARVIS
Age 52
Gender Male
Birth year 1869
Death year 1921-25
Place MONTEVIDEO
Country URUGUAY
Record source GRO Consular Death Indices (1849 to 1965)
Year range 1921-1925
Volume 18
Page 392
Record set British nationals died overseas 1818-2005
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Deaths & burials
Collections from Great Britain

Other places that may have information.
The Logbook and Crew Agreement of DUQUESA (official number 140578) which should give you information on the cause of his demise together with other personal details.
As far as I am aware DUQUESA docked in London on 01/01/1925 so her First Logbook and crew agreement for 1925 should give you the details. These are available from NMM Greenwich.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/national-mariti...s-request-form

You should also look in Lloyds Captains Register available from London Metropolitan Archives. These should contain details of His seagoing career as Master and Mate.

http://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwi...R=STARTREQUEST

regards
Roger
Old 24th September 2016, 15:41

Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply and your guidance. Plenty to work with! I am really pleased and it is much appreciated. I have the GRO info but thanks for searching for me. So quick as well. Kind regards to you both.
Old 13th January 2017, 09:00

The same Captain George Jarvis was my great-uncle too. The SS Duquesna was his last ship but he had previous commands with the Houlder Line (incorporated into Furness Withy/British & Argentine Line). All were refrigerated freighters carrying meat from South America. During WW1 the SS La Negra and SS La Blanca were both torpedoed in the English Channel, within three months of one another. It is said in my branch of the family that he died in Montevideo of blood poisoning that started from a boil in his neck. I have a photograph of him somewhere but can't find it at the moment, sorry.
Old 13th January 2017, 09:15
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings to both Molly and Michael and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 11th August 2019, 06:02

Michael Please get in touch re family history. Regards,