Sail Training Ships - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sail Training Ships

User Tag List

Old 19th February 2011, 19:30

My location
Pl

I too attended the Moray Sea School, sailed on the PL as an assistant to the engineer (better than Captain of the Heads), the following year I joined BP as a marine engineer, love boats...
Old 8th July 2011, 22:44

hello

hello
Old 9th July 2011, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim MacIntyre View Post
Not sure if this is the correct place but i'll go ahead anyway.
Just been reading about the Yacht 'Halcyon' and her days at the School of Nav in Warsash. It brought back some memories. Does anyone recall the sailing ship that was attached to the Outward Bound School in Elgin, Scotland in the late 1950's. I recall the name was 'Prince Louis' and vaguely recall she might have been a wartime 'prize' from one of the Scandinavian countries.
Can anyone shed any light on the history of the 'Prince Louis' ?? I have a photo and one of these days when I figure out how to post it I will.
Going back to the first post, It may be of interest to know that the Halcyon was under refit in Gloucester Docks earlier this year. Pictured here on the 28th March along side the Big Saba.

Regards

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HALCYON & BIG SABA.JPG (144.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg BIG SABA & HALCYON (1)_1.jpg (175.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 9th July 2011, 20:36
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings pal8125 and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 12th July 2013, 12:50
Organisation: Coastguard
Department: Fishing
Active: 1946 - 2000

I remember sailing the Old Louis close hauled through the Sutors of Cromarty in about 1948. We were out for a long weekend and the weather got so bad that we couldn't get back into Burghead on acc of the swell. There was a ship Mayglen of Montreal was refused entry too, I guess she was loaded with barley but this is a guess.
We didn't get off The Louis until the next Friday when we sailed in to the canal basin in Inverness and went back to school by bus. It must have been just before the Burghead Sea School was invented. Danny was on board as engineer and Cdr Godwin skipper. The Kelvin engine went to miss, probably because one of the vapourizers never got hot. The Ailsa Creag didn't work at all. Before that we dragged towards The Tain Bar and got out northeastwards close hauled towing the cutters which were with us.
They managed to get back to Hopeman, not sure if it was that day. I have written about this trip in my book. "It All My Fault" You can find it on Kindle or at http://scorraigweave.com/books_files/books.html Hope it is not naughty to give my book a we plug.
I remember all this because it was my most enjoyable week at school. I wasn't at school at all the whole time.

Last edited by Alan Bush; 12th July 2013 at 14:05.. Reason: Bad English and added a wee plug.
Old 29th August 2014, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beaton View Post
The school had two or three whalers, and I recall we smashed one of them up while crossing the Burghead bar in a heavy swell. John Beaton.
I do not recall Whalers - I do remember the 2 masted dipping lugsail Cutters. in spring 1963 when I was there one was wrecked on the Burghead harbour bar. Giving rise to a song "Rodney rowed the boat ashore ....."

BTW John BP - I was Captain of the Heads - maybe because I was cack handed and youngest in the watch - what I hated was the daily climb up the mast - I used to do it even though I was petrified - I hate heights!!!

Last edited by kernow jon; 29th August 2014 at 21:19.. Reason: additional info
Old 27th July 2017, 01:29

Prince Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim MacIntyre View Post
Not sure if this is the correct place but i'll go ahead anyway.
Just been reading about the Yacht 'Halcyon' and her days at the School of Nav in Warsash. It brought back some memories. Does anyone recall the sailing ship that was attached to the Outward Bound School in Elgin, Scotland in the late 1950's. I recall the name was 'Prince Louis' and vaguely recall she might have been a wartime 'prize' from one of the Scandinavian countries.
Can anyone shed any light on the history of the 'Prince Louis' ?? I have a photo and one of these days when I figure out how to post it I will.
I attended the outward bound Moray Sea School in Burghead in 1949. It was the first summer of its existence. The highlight for me was two days' crewing the Prince Louis. Neil Wilson
Old 26th August 2019, 23:37

Prince Louis II - Bel Espoir II.

Update on Prince Louis II, renamed "Bel Espoir II". Latest is that the Bel Espoir II was having a refit at AJD shipyard but a violent storm tipped her over, the hull warped and structural parts split apart by several centimetres ! See here: http://www.piriou.com/en/news/piriou...spoir/4446.htm
A sad end to the Prince Louis II ?
Old 26th August 2019, 23:45

Hi Henry97071, Would you happen to remember in which paper you saw a picture of the burned out hulk in San Francisco Bay, or even which year?