United towing pictures and names - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
01:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

United towing pictures and names

User Tag List

Old 19th October 2011, 19:21

Hi lads another great afternoon nice to see some more face ,the place looks great with all the photos and flags ,it looks brill if any off you are passing the Greenbricks anytime but just pop in and have a look the landlord will make you welcome and if anybody likes to come along the next session is on the 2nd November so will see you there at the Greenbricks
Old 31st October 2011, 12:20

Tried to attach a few photos of ex- Alice Moran, ex-Statesman, ex-----lots!
Reciently sighted in P.G. and after 40+ years still sailing, this time as Amsterdam under Bahrain flag.

Didn't manage to persuade this ###'ing computer to do what it was told.
Instructions on how to paste photos in this message box required.
Rgds,
J.Killen
Old 3rd November 2011, 23:17
Department: Dockworker

Thought i would drop by and say Hello, i am the youngest son of Joseph Barker who was on the Tollman and now i am following in his footsteps and working towards my basic sea survival, i have found a website that reproduces the remote controlled kit of the Tollman and was thinking of getting her for me dad but need a little help with on how to install a steam enginge, any help would be appreciated.

the site of the model Tollman - http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/acatalog/Tollman.html
Old 4th November 2011, 18:19
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgtrotter2k View Post
Thought i would drop by and say Hello, i am the youngest son of Joseph Barker who was on the Tollman and now i am following in his footsteps and working towards my basic sea survival, i have found a website that reproduces the remote controlled kit of the Tollman and was thinking of getting her for me dad but need a little help with on how to install a steam enginge, any help would be appreciated.

the site of the model Tollman - http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/acatalog/Tollman.html
Here is another site for Model Tug Makers
http://modeltugforum.com/index.php

Good Modelling'
Jim
Old 4th November 2011, 18:56
Department: Dockworker

Thanx Jim i will take a look.
Old 15th November 2011, 17:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1963 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by james killen View Post
Tried to attach a few photos of ex- Alice Moran, ex-Statesman, ex-----lots!
Reciently sighted in P.G. and after 40+ years still sailing, this time as Amsterdam under Bahrain flag.

Didn't manage to persuade this ###'ing computer to do what it was told.
Instructions on how to paste photos in this message box required.
Rgds,
J.Killen
Hi Jim,

It`s quite easy really, using the mouse, right click on pic required this should indicate it is highlighted by being blue shaded, from the drop down menu which will appear select "copy" after which I find the best idea is to open a file in word, right click on the blank word doc, and select "paste" from the drop down menu, when the pic has appeared save the word doc wherever you require, you can then alter size etc by just grabing the corner of the pic and drag.
Old 15th November 2011, 17:33
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1961 - 1973

I think inkerman is a pub at the top of Hessle road,i worked on the Norman for a while
Old 11th December 2011, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisnoodles View Post
I think inkerman is a pub at the top of Hessle road,i worked on the Norman for a while
The Inkerman pub is on the corner of Alfred St and Edgar St at the back of Hessle Road.
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by serviceman View Post
Hiya everyone and thanks for the posting of the Bureauocrat photo, my 1st deckies job on her. I couldn't even pull the masthead oil lights up unless I stood on the bulwarks and swung across the foredeck, of course I got a rollicking for doing it though..Tom Bell
hi tom remember me Don wilson just to say i have joined forum will keep in touch.best regards donone.
Old 6th December 2012, 22:43
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Deck
Active: 1940 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcurtis021 View Post
roger would you know if any of these had a hinged funnel
my dad taffi humphries anyone know of him
Old 7th December 2012, 23:02

Hi there, I knew Taff when he was mate with my father on the Guardsman very early 60s. I remember when my father took me for my first ever trip to sea on the Guardsman in order to put me off wanting to become a tugman. It was 1961 and she had to tow 2 barges to the Thames. We had a force 8 coming back and some of the guys were seasick. not me. I loved every minute of it and spent most of my time in the wheelhouse with your father because he would give me roll ups to smoke, I was only 14. After that trip I was hooked on going to sea. I also remember your mother when she worked in Blue Heaven. Also remember your eldest sister when she went to Flinton Grove. Think that I used to have a photo of him when the Guardsman was hit by a big wave that smashed the wheelhouse windows in. Will have a look when I get back home.
Best regards JG
Old 8th December 2012, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by minihaha View Post
my dad taffi humphries anyone know of him
I've just posted a photo of Taffy Humphries on Guardsman in the Life Onboard Gallery. Also a photo of Taffy in Lisbon with George Dee and Jack Ryan Tradesman 1952 in my photo Gallery.
Cheers peteb.
Old 6th September 2019, 18:47

Hi
I was a trainee deckhand and joined Humber Tugs in Nov 1977 with Pete Nesvick. In May 1981 I transferred over to the southbank tugs which in the long run was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made!

I don"t know what they"re like today but too many over at Immingham had the attitude that if the company employed you ---- they owned you.

And Roy Sanderson, deck superintendant???, was more than willing to abuse a culture like that and did. Eventually, with a combination of 10th rate management and a spineless workforce, the company was ran into the ground. Sanderson replaced Pete Willingham around 1983. As far as I am aware he had no qualifications to justify a promotion like that and Willingham was a master mariner and a decent bloke.

Sanderson on the other hand was a devious, deep, progress chaser who regarded lying and deceipt as being a legitimate part of management and if that didn"t work veiled threats were his plan b.

But he was not working alone, as I stated above there were no shortage of suckholers and yes men who would cooperate with him.
One such was a tug master, Peter Gel. This invertebrate eventually played a hand in getting me dismissed after I refused to go out to the Rough field, my argument being that it must be sea work, which was "voluntary"
The company came up with the response that it was only sea work if the hirer agreed to a "daily" hire arrangement and this was "hourly"
although they never showed me any evidence and I knew of no one else who had ever seen this.

Almost certainly Sanderson was probably lying about this as was his speciality but proving it was easier to say then do. The ludicrous implication with this argument was any where on the planet was the port of Immingham. In other words there is no such thing as sea work.
Old 9th September 2019, 16:24

Andrew "Marvel" Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdScott View Post
Hi
I was a trainee deckhand and joined Humber Tugs in Nov 1977 with Pete Nesvick. In May 1981 I transferred over to the southbank tugs which in the long run was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made!

I don"t know what they"re like today but too many over at Immingham had the attitude that if the company employed you ---- they owned you.

And Roy Sanderson, deck superintendant???, was more than willing to abuse a culture like that and did. Eventually, with a combination of 10th rate management and a spineless workforce, the company was ran into the ground. Sanderson replaced Pete Willingham around 1983. As far as I am aware he had no qualifications to justify a promotion like that and Willingham was a master mariner and a decent bloke.

Sanderson on the other hand was a devious, deep, progress chaser who regarded lying and deceipt as being a legitimate part of management and if that didn"t work veiled threats were his plan b.

But he was not working alone, as I stated above there were no shortage of suckholers and yes men who would cooperate with him.
One such was a tug master, Peter Gel. This invertebrate eventually played a hand in getting me dismissed after I refused to go out to the Rough field, my argument being that it must be sea work, which was "voluntary"
The company came up with the response that it was only sea work if the hirer agreed to a "daily" hire arrangement and this was "hourly"
although they never showed me any evidence and I knew of no one else who had ever seen this.

Almost certainly Sanderson was probably lying about this as was his speciality but proving it was easier to say then do. The ludicrous implication with this argument was any where on the planet was the port of Immingham. In other words there is no such thing as sea work.
I was dismissed on Thursday 14 of March 1985 with no written confirmation of this (they never liked putting anything in writing) then within a few weeks the TGWU branch filed an application with the local industrial tribunal for an unfair dismissal hearing against Humber Tugs.
They enlisted the help of Andrew Marvel Jackson a Hull based solicitor of whom I can find no reference on the internet --its as if the man never existed. From late March out to the following November the company came up with a littany of excuses as to why their witnesses could not attend, Sanderson was on holiday, then a few weeks went by and it was Gels turn to conveniantly be away, next was Jacksons turn not to be there and these delays were always announced after a new appearance date was offered by the courts service.
They were abusing the system but legally. I on the other hand was ready to go within a few weeks.
After they ran out of holidays we got an appearance in late November 85 and about 2 weeks before the union sent me a letter from Jackson offering 500 to drop the case, later increased to 750, which I refused. This was a "without prejudice" letter meaning I could not mention its existence in court. However I could have legally circulated it around the work force ---pity I did not think of this at the time!