Steam Drifters stores co. Ltd - Ships Nostalgia
05:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Steam Drifters stores co. Ltd

User Tag List

Old 4th September 2019, 18:48

Steam Drifters stores co. Ltd

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here knows about Anchor Lamps/Lanterns?
I purchased an old flaky painted Lantern from the bootsale last week with the thought of turning it into a lamp or garden ornament. It has been stripped of white and then red paint and is back to galvanised steel. It revealed two brass badges, one reads "Anchor" and the other " Steam Drifter Stores co. Limited Lowestoft". I'd love to know more about its history but can find nothing online? Thank you in advance
Kelly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190902_184527_1567619297300.jpg (71.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 5th September 2019, 19:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1979

Apart from the methods used to store/bunker the "Vital Spark" I can't help!
Old 5th September 2019, 20:58

Ok thank you 😃😃
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:06

Hi. Kelly14, Doubt if you will find any individual history, apart from the chandlers name plate, which could have read Fleetwood Trawler Supplies, or COSALT, etc, etc, it is a standard Anchor light, used by thousands of vessels over many years.
Mainly dioptric lens oil lamps with the tank in the base, many had a clear or coloured glass funnel, depending on the use, all certainly needing very regular cleaning & trimming to give a good light. as I well remember.
The 'Anchor' motive is only to distinguish the lamp type, most nav. lamps had a similar motive on them ie. 'Stern' or 'Starboard' etc. Mainly galvanised, the better class versions being in Copper.
You have got yourself a very nice, and I would say genuine lamp, get it cleaned up and used as a working ornament. I once had a copper mast light, which converted to electric made a great front door light for many years. So enjoy it.
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:16

Thank you for all your information, it is lovely that I have a piece of history in my house, we have cleaned it up, added some lights and makes a lovely piece on the floor as a lamp. If only these items could talk eh!!
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:24

Jonesboat the supplies name is steam drifters stores lowestoft...I assumed they manufactured supplies for the steam drifters. I have done some research on these boats and company and although limited, I feel I have a lovely piece of history now with a small amount of background....I'm glad it wasnt thrown away!! 😃