Booth Line - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
23:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Booth Line

User Tag List

Old 9th February 2012, 13:33

When serving on Harrison's "Novelist" quite a few years ago we obtained a Booth Line charter and loaded the usual 'mahogany, brazil nuts and coir at Belem and some villages along a tributary of the Amazon,one place name translating into The Isle of the Crocodile ! Never saw any though !
Old 9th February 2012, 14:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Booth Line

Like - "Ilha do Crocodilo" ?
Old 10th February 2012, 17:21

The very same !
Old 13th February 2012, 23:35
Department: Navigation
Active: 1953 - 1962

.I worked for Maggie Booth back in the early 1960's
Worked as 3rd then 2nd Mate on the Crispin. Also sailed on the Basil
from Dec 61 to Aug 62(laid her up in the river Blackwater).
Also served on the Denis. Only went up to Iquitos once that was
on the Crispin. Fond memories of the Booth Line.
Old 18th February 2012, 04:54

Great site this. Started as Junior Engineer on Rubens in 57, then over the years up till 64 on Raeburn(Colorado Star), Devis, Delius,Viajero, Raphael,Basil,Valiente,Dryden, Boniface.
A mixture of Booth and L+H boats.
Old 18th February 2012, 16:36

Booth Line-Message to Bob Hay

Hi Bob,
Nice to hear from you.
What year were you on the Basil?
Were you ever on the Denis.?
Maggie Booth let me take a one way ride out on the Denis
from Liverpool to Fortaleza (Oct 1962) as 3rd Mate where I
signed off to marry my Brazilian beauty. Now contently married
to her for 50 years.

Caffj
Old 18th February 2012, 18:21

My location
Booth Line

"Great site this. Started as Junior Engineer on Rubens in 57, then over the years up till 64 on Raeburn(Colorado Star), Devis, Delius,Viajero, Raphael,Basil,Valiente,Dryden, Boniface.
A mixture of Booth and L+H boats."

Bob, do you recall when you were on the Viajero? Was Polish Stan Chief there then?
Old 18th February 2012, 19:28

Served as 2nd Mate on "Veras" 64 and 65. 5 trips from New York/Montreal to Brazil including 3 to Iquitos. Fantastic ship and a good crowd. Brazilian crew. Enjoyed every minute. George Potts was Master, Guy Guerandel was Mate and Mike Locke 3rd Mate. No radar on board so on the east coast of USA in fog we would drop anchor and wait for vis to improve! We used to tow a loaded barge alongside from Manaus to Iquitos at low river season. Happy days.
Old 18th February 2012, 21:52

My location
Booth Line

I thoroughly enjoyed serving under George Potts.
Old 20th February 2012, 00:18

Hi Duquesa and Caffj, these are the times I was on Booth boats.
Viajero April 59- April 60 as 4th Engineer
Basil Dec 60- Feb 61 as 3rd
Valiente Oct 61 -June 63 as 2nd
Boniface Nov 64 -Dec 64 as 2nd.
Yes I remember old Stan Witkowski well. Bit temperamental at times but otherwise great Chief to work under. Had some amusing twists of the tongue with his English into the bargain.
without a doubt those trips to Brazil and Peru were the best times of my life like yourselves.
Old 20th February 2012, 14:46

Hello Bob Hay(Eng) & Barmyclaresdad(RO) ex Booth Line .
Bob you were on the Basil before I was. However notice you sailed on the
Boniface. Was the Capt. Norman Sharpe?
Barmyclaresdad: You must have been on the Basil same time as me. I was on
her as 3rd Officer when we took her up the river Blackwater for lay up. Caffj.
Old 20th February 2012, 16:39

My location
Booth Line

Hi Bob, you were on Viajero before me in that case. I also served under Norman Sharpe as mentioned above (he actually relieved Potts). I found him fine as well. Smith was another Master I recall but forget his first name. All good blokes in Booths.
Old 20th February 2012, 17:51
Department: Pilotage

My last trip as deck cadet was on the Benedict in 1984.An amazing time was had by all !. Went up to Manaus, then on the way down river the Rudder stock parted from the Rudder, so I had to endure a whole month alongside in Belem !,my God I had a good time !!. Belem seemed to me to be in a permanent carnival mode.
Old 20th February 2012, 23:23

My location
Booth Line

Yep, Belem! I seem to remember seeing quite a lot of it in the early morning through very blood shot eyes.
It was one of those places where I spent very few nights in "my" bunk!
Old 21st February 2012, 00:20

Just looking at my discharge book and found I was on the Boniface for only a few weeks bringing her round from Rotterdam to Liverpool Nov/Dec 64.

Any you blokes remember an incident in Belem involving us ( sure it was Valiente) and the Veloz or Venimos. this isn't imaginary stuff. Some of the guys on the other boat had bought some guns and ammunition in the States for them to sell in Manaus, but at the last minute they found out they were not going up to Manaus after all.
So in the spirit of goodwill (and the chance of an extra quid in it for us !!!) we generously offered to take them up for them and hurriedly got them transferred as quickly and quietly as possible before we all went up the road for Belem's nocturnal attractions.
Someone however had seen us and the next morning very early all our doors were crashed open by a squad of Marines and the goods pulled out of the dunnage hatch where we'd stowed them and us in front of them. This was serious stuff.
I can't explain how we got off but the other boat was impounded and had to wait for the British Consul to come up from Rio or somewhere to handle it. (This was all at the time when Castro's influence was spreading from Cuba).
On the way up to Manaus and Iquitos I seriously considered jumping ship, but returning to Belem a few weeks later found it had all blown over. Probably a few cartons of Pall Mall and whisky changed hands.
Old 21st February 2012, 16:21

Hi, I was R/O on the Basil when she went to the Blackwater at the end of the trip. I remember spending time painting the radio room and also the customs found a load of drugs when she was docked in Hull before the lay-up
Old 29th March 2012, 21:34
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1962 - 1967

hello Billyt. I sailed on the boniface about 1964? my first trip as 2nd cook & baker.The cooks name was charlie jones,a good bloke,he got up to all the tricks.
Old 6th August 2012, 14:01
Active: 1963 - 1967

Barmyclaresdad, I made a poor decision not to sign on with the Booth Line ship called Basil for a trip up the Amazon, something I still regret to this day a seriously missed opportunity. I took a CPR ship called Beaver Ash up the Gt Lakes, great trip but hey still regret Basil. This was I think in 1964/5? There was Hebrides Islander called ..Hector McPhail (spelling) on deck I believe? Is there anyone out there who went up the Amazon on that trip, or any trip up the Amazon on her? I am sure it would have been a terrific trip. Does anyone have a picture of her? I recall she was at St Catherines dock?
Old 6th August 2012, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lorimer View Post
Anyone have background on this vessel? Or on Lloyd Hughes and the heoirc gang that took her from Galveston to Iquitos? I have a story to tell...
SIDDONS'52(L+H)r/n RUBENS 1955,r/n BERNARD (Booth)1965,r/n ROSSINI (L+H)) 1967,r/n BERNARD(Booth),r/n BERWELL ADVENTURE(Sopac Bulk Carriers)(Booth charter)(Overseas Marine Corp.)r/n AL TURAB(Kelsey Bay Shg.)1974,b/u 1978 Gadani Beach.
Old 19th August 2012, 10:03
Department: Purser
Active: 1961 - 1976

Joined the RMS Hubert as Assistant Purser at Princess Dock in November 1962, served onboard until transferred to Austasia Line as Malaysia.
Captain was Commodore Jackson Wayman, Purser was Alfie Boyce and see to remember that the Chief Engineer was Sam Inch.
Old 26th August 2012, 16:23
Active: 1955 - 1997

"Cuthbert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
I was r/o on cuthbert nov 71 to jan 73, joined in NY did 4 trips upto Iquitos, best trip I ever did, several scouse officers Yogi & red engineers (4th eng pictured on the cuthbert pic seen on google at sale but cant remember his name. but he did take well to the pet pig ' georgeV). Elec jim (remember him setting fire to his bunk) 2nd mate ex china service, several skippers last one a taffy, big bearded mate from devon area, ch stwd also scouser, ch eng geordie who marred a WI girl and lived in trinidat -never had so much shore time
"The last one a Taffy"..that's me Lloyd Hughes. I remember you and all those girl friends you had in Manaus!!!! The mate was called Martin he had a nasty motor bike accident later, which left him in a bad way.
Nice chap "Gentle Giant". Chief Steward was called Willy, otherwise known as "One Egg Willy"...2nd Mate Tom Morgan(The Welsh Yank) and on the last trip I did I think the Third Mate was an Egyptian guy called Nadir.
Old 26th August 2012, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by country boy View Post
hello Billyt. I sailed on the Boniface about 1964? my first trip as 2nd cook & baker.The cooks name was charlie jones,a good bloke,he got up to all the tricks.
Hi Billyt. I was 2nd Mate on the "Boniface" right through 1964,Lloyd Hughes. Captain John Stoker and Mackereth were Masters, we had various Mates Ned St Roas, George Potts and a few others I cannot remember.....Third Mate was Dave Rowan and one of the Cadets was John Atkins. Happy ship great bunch of shipmates. Joined the "Dunstan" in Antwerp on Boxing Day 1964 and it trip up to Iquitos back to New York, hence back to Iquitos before sailing back to Liverpool, nearly eight months in all. Skippers were Philip Baxter and Humphreys (known as Jacare). Not sure who the cook was on the "Boniface" but I remember one getting the sack after a special lunch, and the other cook I remember made a fantastic rum punch.
Old 27th August 2012, 15:01

Booth Line

My late father Owen Hughes, was a chief engineer with Booths in the mid 60's and sailed all the way up to Iquitos. I rembember dad talking about a Polish 1st mate, who had been in the RAF. I did recall dad talked about a Chief Steaward called Fred. There was also a skipper called Sharp, Sharp by name, Sharp by nature. He never allowed the chief stewards to make any money on the sideand ran a very tight ship. Going up the Amazon made a huge impression on dad. Pier number no1 in Brooklyn, where Booths sailed from, is now a public park, Was in New York a few years ago, was very moving being near to where dad used to sail from. Starling Press have a book on Captain Humphreys, time with Booth's, gives a very good insight into the life and times of the company. Dad also used to look up a retired Welsh skipper, in Manaus.
Old 27th August 2012, 22:14

My location
Booth Line

I sailed with Sharp for a while. He was a tad stern but OK really. Can't believe they turned that damned jetty in Brooklyn into a park. There was a diner across the street that sold the most amazing Turkey Heroes.
Old 28th August 2012, 07:07

Booth Line

Hi duquesa ...Yes Pier 1 is a Park now for sure, nearly all the berths on the Brooklyn side have gone..........but them turkey heroes were something else, making my mouth water just thinking about them.
Remember the heat coming into New York in the summer....and sitting on the boat deck of the "Veras" at night drinking Shlitz and eating "Turkey Heroes", not forgetting the dill pickles.
I never sailed with Sharp(Macaco Branco), but I relieved him a few times.
Hi hugdavliv ...I sailed with your Dad in 1966 on the "Veras" when I was Mate..I think he did 2 trips with us Ned St Roas was Captain. If I remember right one of the trips was when we towed to "Dennis" of the bank off Portel, we all got a nice bit of salvage for that.
I cannot remember a Polish 1st Mate but I sailed with a Polish Chief Engineer Stan Witouski, you was a real character as were most of the crews you sailed with Booths. There was an old Welsh Skipper who lived in Belem that used to work for the old Iquitos Steamship Co., cannot remember his name.
Most of the old Chief Stewards I knew have passed away now Alfie Boyce, Jimmy Spears and Billy Deary all good shipmates.
Just heard that Eric Bentley(CriCri) at Booth line who ran a shipping agency with his sons in Manaus passed away a few years ago.
Anybody remember Pinky Webster?