United Towing Exhibition - Ships Nostalgia
09:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

United Towing Exhibition

User Tag List

Old 18th August 2010, 08:50
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck

Smile United Towing Exhibition

Hi Everyone
Just thought I would pass the word about there is a exhibition re United Towing of Hull their history and of the crews who sailed for United,starting from 1920 when formed right through the decades.
I think most tugmen will be pleased with the exhibition we have put together or by the way some will have to be prepared to see themselves when they were alot younger,the infirmary is not to far a distant away in case of any I CANNOT BELIEVE I LOOKED LIKE THAT.
Please if possible take the time to go and see the exihition its your history as well as United Towings,venue Hull Maritime Museum, Hull.
From 16.08.2010 to mid November 2010.

Many Thanks
Nev Gray
Old 18th August 2010, 11:43

what an excellent exhibition about UTC at the maritime museum in Hull when i went in there were plenty of people young and old looking at the information and photos ,even a photo of myself hard at work in the radio room on Statesman rolling a cig it is certainly worth a visit it certainly brought back many memories for me and the wife had to literally drag me out but i am going back on my own to really have a good look around all the best to all keith appleyard
Old 18th August 2010, 13:19

Hi Keith
Glad that you enjoyed it I have been in again this morning just to take some photos for Pete and myself and there were quite a lot of interested people in there early on.As you can understand there's that much history re United Towing,the tugs,the crews etc you could really fill that room over again,thanks for your reply,glad you thought we just about got it right, keep in touch.
Regards
Nev
Old 21st August 2010, 22:53

Hi Nev
Seen the exhibition today 21st - excellent piece of work - well done to you, Pete and anyone else involved. Obviously a lot of hard work, but well worth the effort. I found it quite moving seeing photos and the names of the men I sailed with. I managed to get my feet wet a few times (were they ever dry and probably still not) from the mid 1960s to early 70s with UTC. Good times and bad times, thankfully some of the bad times rust away and the good bits shine through. Thanks to that exhibition just started to find my way through the alleyways of these forums. Already seen quite a few names of some trusted shipmates.

Best wishes

Mike C
Old 22nd August 2010, 02:42

I'm at sea at the moment but my wife took the grand-kids to see the exhibition, they thought it was great. My granddaughter took some pictures on her mobile and emailed them to me. Certainly brought back memories. Well done Pete and Nev, a brilliant effort.
Old 22nd August 2010, 06:39

does any one know where the model tugs in glass cases ,what where in united towing office ,nelson st .where are they now ????.my brother bob skelton asked me to ask ...john skelton ...
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1965 - 2014

My location
Hi Nev
Any chance of a few photos, for those of us who are unable to get to the exhibition. Its a two day camel ride from here, and not sure the missus would be too happy at letting me slip the tow in Hull anyway. My main interest is the Lloydsman/Statesman era. Sailed with Jack Golden, Norman Storey, and Jack Linford before being let loose on my own.

Regards

Roddy
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:17

Hi Roddy
No problem re photographs we will put Statesman and Lloydsman photos in the gallery within the next couple of days,thanks for your message.
Regards
Nev
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:31

Hi Mike
Pete and myself spent alot of time getting everthing together,we hope that we did get most of the exhibtion correct,we have had some great feed back from people like yourself and we do take everything on board.
The whole aim was to let people know about United Towing,crews and the vessels going back to 1920.Thank you for taking the time to send us a message.I would think if you go and have another look you will find something you missed first time around,take care.

Best Wishes
Nev
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:34

Hi Ray
Thank you for your comments,it will be even better when you get home and actually go and see it,you will really enjoy it Ray?
Regards
Nev
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:52

Hi Ray
As an after thought forgot to tell you your photograph is on view at the Maritime Museum,just thought we would prepare you for when you get home.
Best Wishes
Nev
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:08

Wink

The good looking one WAS me, honest! although Algie keeping might have something to say about that, he pulled all the birds!
Old 22nd August 2010, 15:27

Can any of you tell me what the connection between United Towing and Star Offshore Services was.
Old 22nd August 2010, 16:49

Hi Roddy
I see that Pete as put some photographs on already.

Regards
Nev
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Balls View Post
Can any of you tell me what the connection between United Towing and Star Offshore Services was.
Basically Star Offshore Services was a partnership between United Towing and the Vestey Group (Blue Star Line) created mid 70's to operate tugs and supply vessels.

Numerous subsidiaries were created but by 1978 the divorce was announced and shortly thereafter the U was removed from the star on the O.

The following is included in my forthcoming book on CD - Adsteam UK Ltd.

Star Offshore Services Ltd.

(Company Reg No. SC55005 - incorporated in 7.2.1974)

50:50 UNITED TOWING LTD and BLUE STAR LINE LTD.

Managed until 1978 by

United Towing (Star Offshore Services) Ltd.
(Company Reg. No. 00887746)
and
United Towing (Ocean Tugs) Ltd.
(Company Reg. No. 01100720)

Star Offshore Services (Tugs) Ltd.,

(Company Reg No. SC55007 - incorporated 7.2.1974)

22, West Nile Street, Glasgow.

(Company dissolved - 22.09.1987)

Star Offshore Services (Supply Boats) Ltd.,
(Company Reg No. SC55006 - incorporated 7.2.1974)

(United Towing (Star Offshore Services) Ltd., London, managers).

22, West Nile Street,
Glasgow.

1978: Restyled as
Star Offshore Services Marine Ltd,
Old 22nd August 2010, 22:59

Hi Bill
Am I right in thinking Star Offshore Services had nothing to do with that wonderful Universal Star and the undaunted Dauntless Star (now that was an adventure with good old Tommy Shep) Those two fine vessels where probably a bit before Star OS and never seem to get a mention in UTC history

Best wishes

Mike C
Old 22nd August 2010, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowswood View Post
Hi Bill
Am I right in thinking Star Offshore Services had nothing to do with that wonderful Universal Star and the undaunted Dauntless Star (now that was an adventure with good old Tommy Shep) Those two fine vessels where probably a bit before Star OS and never seem to get a mention in UTC history

Best wishes

Mike C
I think you will find both those vessels were built as trawlers. Have never encountered them as owned by UT.
However they may have been part of the Parkes empire which also took some control of UT in the 60's til early 70's
Old 23rd August 2010, 00:00

Hi Bill
You're right about the trawler side of things - Universal Star was an early stern trawler and the Dauntless Star was a sidewinder both from Lowestoft. United used them for a short period in the late sixties (can't find my log book at the moment for accurate dates) I did have an exciting week, which was my very first job as mate with UTC, on Dauntless. They were used in the very early days of gas exploration in the North Sea. And you are correct about the Parkes empire of Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Group - I think UTC had links with them so it may have been a short term charter.

Best wishes

Mike C
Old 23rd August 2010, 02:11

I did a trip on the 'Universal Star' for United Towing, we were standby boat for a rig in the North Sea.
I remember painting in the ships name starting from scratch on the black hull. When I'd finished I stepped on the quay to admire my handiwork. 'Unversal Star' didn't look right somehow, I'd missed the bloody "I" out (blamed it on the lunch time session in Manny Arms)

As Mike mentioned the 'Dauntless star' was used for crew changing the anchor handlers. The original plan was for the joining crew to take her out and the off signing crew to bring her back to Hull, a ridiculous idea that thankfully never happened. I once came home on her from an anchor cranker, poor old Tommy Shep must have spent twenty four hours on the bridge, nobody was interested in giving him a spell, we all just wanted to crash out after a month "snatching". They did right to call the bloody thing 'Dauntless Star' you had to be dauntless to leap across ship to ship in a gale of wind in the North Sea in winter. I must admit I thought both ships were owned by UTC but maybe they were just chartered.

If I remember correctly there was a brass plate outside the office in Nelson Street, all the company's ships were listed on it as separate companies. What was that, some sort of tax dodge or limited liability?
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:04

Hi Ray

Good to know you're about - interesting to see a few names I recognise. Oh yes the madness of the early anchor snatching days. I was on Merchantman with Jack Golden and George Bartlet. The main qualification was being mad!
I believe the brass plate business was a safety idea against insurance claims. If tug screwed up with a job i.e. a salvage job turned into an oil spill or a tow broke lose and ploughed through a shopping centre the unfortunate victims could only claim from that 'single' tug company. In theory it protected the rest of the fleet. I'm not sure whether it was ever put to the test. Sounds like work / a fortune for the lawyers and accountants.
Incidently I'm Mike Crawley mate of the good ship MT Foreman for a good length of time with Pongo - and on most of the others around mid 60s to early 70s.

Best wishes

Mike
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:40

Hi Mike,
It's good to see some of the old names cropping up. I remember when you were on 'Foreman' with Pongo. Long time ago but didn't you have a nice sports car, MGB or similar or am I thinking of someone else?
You're the very man who can help me. What was the name of that chief engineer on 'Foreman', an ex trawler engineer who seldom got the shore fitters in, he always s seemed to carry out any repairs himself, He was on her for years. I've been racking my brains trying to think of his name.

Incidentally Mike, how on earth did you get to become a TV cameraman?
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:32

Well done Pete and Nev for compiling the exhibition. I went on Saturday. Unfortunately left my specs at home so will be back for another visit once my passport is revalidated.
All the best from the south bank.
Neil
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:13

hi Ray good phot of you terry Gay,Barry Rhodes Tosh Pickard and myself in a bar in Gib when we got the Carlantic in the exhibition keith Appleyard.
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:27

Thanks Neil for your comments about the exhibition.
Regards
Nev
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo View Post
Hi Mike,
It's good to see some of the old names cropping up. I remember when you were on 'Foreman' with Pongo. Long time ago but didn't you have a nice sports car, MGB or similar or am I thinking of someone else?
You're the very man who can help me. What was the name of that chief engineer on 'Foreman', an ex trawler engineer who seldom got the shore fitters in, he always s seemed to carry out any repairs himself, He was on her for years. I've been racking my brains trying to think of his name.

Incidentally Mike, how on earth did you get to become a TV cameraman?
Hi Ray the trawler cook on Forman was Wilf Shaw according to John Noble
cheers Pete