Birkenhead docks. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
03:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Birkenhead docks.

User Tag List

Old 30th May 2018, 13:14

Another recollection is the received wisdom of about 1970:-

"Blue Funnel will never pull out of Birkenhead altogether. They have far too much invested there."

Ho-hum.
Old 30th May 2018, 14:11

Welldone Barrie but what about my thirty eight to Manor Road
Old 30th May 2018, 14:15

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post
Another recollection is the received wisdom of about 1970:-

"Blue Funnel will never pull out of Birkenhead altogether. They have far too much invested there."

Ho-hum.
I used to think Blue Funnel were immortal - like some of the Greeks they were named for.

I've about exhausted the internet for The Royal Swan/Blazing Stump pub. But just found this: http://getmyride.uk/kelvin-park-bus-...a#.Ww6f-6kh2Cc

It's only the site of the bus company advice to customers, but it shows a great map of Seacombe and Birkenhead and next to it a rotatable Google image of the bus stop and in the distance, The Royal Swan.
Old 30th May 2018, 15:40

Sorry, Gerald - we seem to have missed the bus!

Growing up in Birkenhead and being sent to school in Liverpool (1954-59), habitually I passed through Woodside Ferry Terminal twice daily and it was inevitable that some experience of the bus system rubbed off. My own bus was the number 80, to the west end of Prenton Lane. I'm quite sure that my Mum & Dad thought that it was the only thing I ever learned. Perhaps it was.
Old 30th May 2018, 15:45

Thank you, Harry!

It seems that there are very few SN readers who knew not the location of the Blazing Stump! For my own part I never did set foot across its threshold, but I knew many others, only too well.
Old 30th May 2018, 19:32

Quote:

Thank you, Harry!

It seems that there are very few SN readers who knew not the location of the Blazing Stump! For my own part I never did set foot across its threshold, but I knew many others, only too well.

I was in there many times for a dinnertime pie and a pint when working at the Maru Boats berthed at Mortar Mill Quay.
Once or twice when on nights, we would pop in for a quick pint to find the place heaving with girls and seamen. One called Scotch Mary seemed to rule the roost. Often saw her tottering down the gangway of some ship or other in the early afternoon.
Old 1st June 2018, 23:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1957 - 1969

Bootle ARMS pub
Old 2nd June 2018, 08:24

Can you be more specific?

Where was the Bootle Arms?
Old 2nd June 2018, 10:22
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1993

A considerable distance from Birkenhead I would suggest. There is one (possibly others) located in Melling outside Liverpool and not what one would describe as a dockside pub.
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:59
Active: 1957 - 1967

Outside Bidston Dock, looking on to Birkinhead Park, I have a memory of a cinema, with a hotel next door. Spent a night in the hotel when the ship I was on was being "gassed" to clear the rats and other wild life.

Took a month or soon the following voyage for the cockroaches to re-appear.
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:59

Bootle Arms

Quote:

Can you be more specific?

Where was the Bootle Arms?
Barrie lf you came out of the Alexandra dock gate walked up Strand road at the junction with Derby road there were two pubs facing each other one was the Elm House and the other was the Bootle Arms. Regards Peter.
Old 2nd June 2018, 13:05

#34 ,35 & 36

Many thanks, all.

I do not know of any Bootle Arms at Birkenhead.
Old 2nd June 2018, 14:23

In reply to #35 Riccarton. The Hotel Was The Queens & The Cinema The Gaumont. Your Cocky infestation might have its origins in Birkenhead you might taken a passenger from The Hotel. Also to Barrie Youde Lovely Poem about the Buses I remember every ones Number & Destination, Buses everywhere in those days Blue ones Yellow Ones & Green Ones all over the Wirral for Pennies
Old 2nd June 2018, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccarton View Post
Outside Bidston Dock, looking on to Birkinhead Park, I have a memory of a cinema, with a hotel next door. Spent a night in the hotel when the ship I was on was being "gassed" to clear the rats and other wild life.

Took a month or soon the following voyage for the cockroaches to re-appear.
The Queens Hotel is a good long way from Bidston Dock, about two and a half miles as the crow flies. The cinema next to it closed in 1964, and is now a furniture emporium.
The Queens is no longer a hotel as such, but it is still in business as a pub restaurant, and has a very good reputation.
The hotel rooms have been converted into rented bedsits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Queens Hotel.jpg (104.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 2nd June 2018, 21:23

It`s the only one I can Think of Pat Bikenhead Park, Hotel & Picture House near Bidston Dock ? Might have been Vitoria Dock Anyway COYB.
Old 3rd June 2018, 17:07

However Pat You will have noticed that Riccarton`s Time frame in the MN was !957 to 1967 The Gaumont the Cinema closed in 1964 but was refurbished and reopened a Bingo Hall until well into the 80`s. With him being an RO it would have been a Half decent place for him to stay whilst the vessel was being fumigated not some Doss house up the North End. Sadly The Queen`s has lost alot of it`s character since the sixties, i quite often pass it one time Slugger o Toole & Basher Brown where knocking seven bells out of one another in the Yard at the side if you are lucky enough to avoid the Hoodies & the Smackheads who hang round the Betting shop across the Road I`am sure it is a nice place to dine if you are not fussy. There is no Cinema around Birkenhead Park or Hotel that would match the R/o`s recollection maybe he will reply to this post. As I said it might have been Vittoria rather than Bidston but I am sure he would be transported to and from his ship and not waiting for a crow flying past !
Old 3rd June 2018, 18:03
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 1975

My location
This isn't anything----

----to do with ale-houses just a memory of being in Birkenhead.

I can't remember the year, or ship, (possibly Maipura), but the occasion may jog a memory or several.

We were alongside and there was a massive roar from the warehouse, (Vittoria?) we were loading from.

Looked out of my porthole and saw the roof of the warehouse had collapsed!

Thinking I may make a bob-or-two from 'The Echo' I rang them from the on-board telephone, "Is it the Blue Funnel warehouse?", the person I was talking to asked.

I told him which one it was and he said, "As it isn't the Blue Funnel berth were not interested".

Anyone else remember that 'ware-house-collapse'? Phil

Last edited by Philthechill; 3rd June 2018 at 18:11..
Old 4th June 2018, 07:49

Here`s another one for you Pat Do you remember The Laskar Seamen of the Anchor Boats Humping Bikes And Sewing machines down Exmouth Street and Back to their Ship Where was The Anchor Line Berth ?
Old 4th June 2018, 08:33

The Anchor Line berth was at East Quay in the East Float.
Old 4th June 2018, 11:18
Active: 1957 - 1967

Clearly age plays tricks with memories. Pleased to be corrected.

The ship mentioned was in a dry dock, having previously unloadedthe last of its cargo, iron ore, for one of the steel works then in that area.
Old 4th June 2018, 12:40

The only pubs I can remember being close to Bidston dock was the 'Pool Inn' very close by in Wallasey. And one in the north end of Birkenhead locally known as the 'Blood Tub". Both pubs were knocked down some years ago.
Old 4th June 2018, 13:56
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
What was the name of the Blood Tub? I am sure it wasn't the Pole Star, that was another one on the main road. One which I liked was buried in the North End, the Angel. It was OK and quiet.
Rgds.
Dave
Old 4th June 2018, 14:07

I can't remember it's real name but I seem to recall it was on Ilchester Square. On the left coming up from the dock after the station and just before the church on the round about. The agent attending the Ore carriers did not recommend it and we settled for the Pool Inn. It was closer.
Old 4th June 2018, 14:57
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Wise words from the Agent, Ian! The North End was another world generally! I knew a few people from there and being from Leasowe, just over the Moss, it was OK. It filled my heart with joy to see, a few years back, that the entire estate had been razed.

Rgds.
Dave
Old 4th June 2018, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccarton View Post
Clearly age plays tricks with memories. Pleased to be corrected.

The ship mentioned was in a dry dock, having previously unloadedthe last of its cargo, iron ore, for one of the steel works then in that area.
I think that if the ship was in drydock, it would have been Bidston Graving Dock, perhaps quarter of a mile from Bidston Dock, and in an area bereft of hotels or cinemas of any description, just a few mean and blood spattered pubs which nobody in their right mind would enter.
It looks like The Queens Hotel alongside the Gaumont, in Park Rd East, opposite the majestic gateway to Birkenhead park, is the most likely answer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Park gate.jpg (364.0 KB, 15 views)