Bankline in the 50's.... - Page 28 - Ships Nostalgia
06:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bankline in the 50's....

User Tag List

Old 18th July 2015, 19:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Sail assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraig View Post
And I remember in about 1953-54 sailing on Bank Line's last sailing ship between Calcutta and Durban. What do you mean I'm talking nonsense?!
See the very proof before your eyes on the attached picture.
60 years later.....

The Irish Naval Service trials with sail assisted steaming - pic courtesy of gCaptain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (169.1 KB, 101 views)
Old 8th August 2015, 14:43

If they had used proper tarpaulin hatch covers there would have been no need for such an expensive custom made sail!
Old 20th September 2015, 09:35

My location
The start of a long journey!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (140.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 20th September 2015, 09:51
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
The start of a long journey!
Did you have to go to a pre sea training school or was this position offered to you straight from school best regards Dave .
Old 20th September 2015, 13:54

My location
A long journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
Did you have to go to a pre sea training school or was this position offered to you straight from school best regards Dave .

Hallo Dave, and greetings from sunny Cornwall. (today, anyway)

From what I can make out, the whole acceptance was a bit of a lottery. It seems Bank Line, and possibly the others, gave preference to boys with pre sea training, but this varied enormously. I did meet others without any pre sea training, and who had been accepted. Maybe it depended on supply and demand, and any academic qualifications, i.e GCE's. In my case, I was in Australia on the Hazelbank before my O level results came through.

Another point - there has been some discussion on these threads about the 'useless' list of kit recommended. I have been very critical myself, i.e. white shoes and number 10 uniform, worn mostly on the passenger ships on occasion, but re reading the letter above carefully ( 64 years later!) the list was only a rough guide, after all.
Old 20th September 2015, 16:45

Dr Gangully

Reading through Bank Line in the 50s I now realise that the trip I had with BTC was a doddle, even though my experience nearly put me off seagoing.
In mid 1974 we were happily enjoying Sunday afternoon on the buoys in Calcutta KGV Dock when the pilot came on board(no notice) to say we were moving alongside, mad panic to get ready to move.
In the panic I slipped and damaged my ribs on the entablature so next morning a trip to the hospital for an x ray.Dr Gangully came to the ship and insisted on holding my hand for the taxi trip to the hospital.
I was not impressed either with the handholding or the hospital, I wondered what disease I would come away from the hospital with.
Anyway the X ray was taken but next morning said Doctor sent a message to the ship i was to attend the hospital again, the x ray had shown up a shadow on one of my lungs so back again to the place of many diseases, said x ray technician was awoken from his slumbers for a repeat but this time I asked that the screen be cleaned, much joy! my lungs were clear. I wish some of the pikers and moaners about our hospitals could have seen Calcutta General Hospital.
Cliff Cocker
Old 21st September 2015, 00:34
Active: 1953 - 1981

Apprenticeship in Andrew Weir's....

I had no formal pre-sea training having left high school in the Fifth Year, gone on the coast as Deck Boy during the school holidays, and been in the Sea Cadets for four years. It might also be said that I had a 'connection' in Weir to speak to Captain Scobie about me. I felt I was well qualified! Anyway, I got a brand new ship from Belfast!

Afterwards I learned that having a family or a business connection to the company or to an important person in the company were definite plusses. Sons or grandsons of former officers were a shoo-in.

By the way, did you know that Doctor Ganghuly had been the surgeon aboard one of the white ships before being set up in Calcutta by the company?

Alistair
Old 21st September 2015, 06:17
a mere boy

Re: Post 657.

That stern view of the 'Ernebank', Alan, is an absolute stunner!
Old 21st September 2015, 07:59
Active: 1957 - 1969

Thanks for that Alan it would not happen in this day and age I think some of us where lucky I myself never took no for an answer when I was told I was to young , I just kept looking for another avenue all I was told was come back when you are 16 son, in the end I completed my first trip to sea out through the Suez and home through the Panama I was 16 half way through my leave I felt really proud of myself mind you I did not bother to tell the girls that I had spent the whole 4 1/2 months in the sink I soon got the chance to change over on to the deck department as peggy back in the sink but I was where I wanted to be on deck I never had the education to pursue a career as an officer but I was happy with my lot one trip a ship got me to most parts of the world that I wanted to see best regards to all hands .
Old 21st September 2015, 08:11

My location
Connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Macnab View Post
I had no formal pre-sea training having left high school in the Fifth Year, gone on the coast as Deck Boy during the school holidays, and been in the Sea Cadets for four years. It might also be said that I had a 'connection' in Weir to speak to Captain Scobie about me. I felt I was well qualified! Anyway, I got a brand new ship from Belfast!

Afterwards I learned that having a family or a business connection to the company or to an important person in the company were definite plusses. Sons or grandsons of former officers were a shoo-in.

By the way, did you know that Doctor Ganghuly had been the surgeon aboard one of the white ships before being set up in Calcutta by the company?

Ah... This is a lesson for later life - connections are everything! Memory is a bit hazy here, but I think it was the new Westbank circa 1948/9 and the 3 apprentices were John Hawkes (son of the then chartering Director). Jim Scobbie, ( nephew of Capt.Scobbie, Chief Marine Super) and Alan Burroughs. John and Jimmy were feisty characters who were rebels, and I became good friends with them both on subsequent trips. They both had successful careers outside of the Bank Line . Jim Scobbie lives happily in Colchester today, and John Hawkes passed away some years ago.
Old 21st September 2015, 08:23

My location
Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Harris View Post
Re: Post 657.

That stern view of the 'Ernebank', Alan, is an absolute stunner!
Yes, great snap, but not the 50's unfortunately!

I like this view of the Eastbank full steaming.

Cheers/Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (429.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 28th September 2015, 20:54
Active: 1956 - 2005

My location
Ran away from boarding school and hitchhiked to 400 miles to Durban. Applied to Superintendent Captain Banks for a job (any job.) 'Ettrickbank' in port with an empty apprentices berth. Signed on the dotted line and sailed before the week's end aged 15 years and 7 months. Alistair Macnab was 3/O. No pre-sea, no letter of appointment but I still have my indentures. Seventeen months in 'Ettrickbank' then thirty-three and a half months in 'Inchanga', junior apprentice to acting 3/O. Still too young at the end of it to sit for second mates!
Andy Lavies
Old 28th September 2015, 22:54
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lavies View Post
Ran away from boarding school and hitchhiked to 400 miles to Durban. Applied to Superintendent Captain Banks for a job (any job.) 'Ettrickbank' in port with an empty apprentices berth. Signed on the dotted line and sailed before the week's end aged 15 years and 7 months. Alistair Macnab was 3/O. No pre-sea, no letter of appointment but I still have my indentures. Seventeen months in 'Ettrickbank' then thirty-three and a half months in 'Inchanga', junior apprentice to acting 3/O. Still too young at the end of it to sit for second mates!
Andy Lavies
Hi Andy,wonder if our paths ever crossed? I was third mate on the isipingo sept.57 to july 59,I do remember both white ships meeting up at one point,
jim
Old 6th October 2015, 11:07
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
Yes, great snap, but not the 50's unfortunately!

I like this view of the Eastbank full steaming.

Cheers/Alan
hi Alan,
thought you might be interested,my grandson who is just waiting to sit 2nd mate orals sent me this when he realised i had sailed on the maple bank,but i think it was when you were on board,

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Bygone...ail/story.html

My sister has just sent me a photo of me in full uniform on the maple bank in 1953,but I do not have a clue on how to add thumbnails anyone any ideas,
jim
Old 6th October 2015, 16:25

My location
Maplebank days

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthehat View Post
hi Alan,
thought you might be interested,my grandson who is just waiting to sit 2nd mate orals sent me this when he realised i had sailed on the maple bank,but i think it was when you were on board,

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Bygone...ail/story.html

My sister has just sent me a photo of me in full uniform on the maple bank in 1953,but I do not have a clue on how to add thumbnails anyone any ideas,
jim

Hi Jim

Yes, it was in Cristobel where Frank Leeming got stabbed. I am in touch with him (now in his 80's). Like the rest of us, his stories get more bizarre with the passage of time but it makes good reading!

Re posting thumbnail pics - if you scroll down on SN when posting text you will see the box which says 'manage attachments'. Click on this and select the pic from your computer files. ( the picture should already be in your picture library to make it easier). Then press the upload button, but note it will not be accepted if the file is too big i.e. outside of the stipulated dimensions. If it is too big, resize it down with your photo software. I use Picasa. Then, if you are in windows just close the page, and press submit. My ipad is a bit trickier but it does work if I use the Safari option.

Hope this helps - we want to see the pic!

Cheers /Alan

P.S Here is me on the Maplebank - taken from a BA Visa form in 1955.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (21.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 8th October 2015, 09:02
ELDER MEMBER

Sorry about the eyes,this was taken on the Maplebank early 1953 somewhere in OZ 17years old

jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jim 489 Kb.jpg (85.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 8th October 2015, 17:49
Active: 1954 - 1967

Buenos Aires Certificate

Here is a 1955 Buenos Aires certificate; I was actually 17 at the time and just 7 months into my first voyage,
Happy days.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Individual Certificate. Buenos Aires e.jpg (212.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 9th October 2015, 17:29

My location
Oh Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdonian View Post
Here is a 1955 Buenos Aires certificate; I was actually 17 at the time and just 7 months into my first voyage,
Happy days.

Keith
Found a couple of Visa forms for a B.A. visit, the first in Juan Peron time. The Arches and all that! Peron was overthrown in Sept that year, six months after we visited.

1955 Maplebank visit - riotous with a white crew out of control
1958 Eastbank as 2/0 - Capt Barry Mitchell - A real gentleman.

Happy days as Keith says....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 9th October 2015 at 17:52.. Reason: adding pics
Old 9th October 2015, 20:21

My location
March 1955 BA Visa

Maplebank visit 3/55
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 10th October 2015, 18:37
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
I left Bank Line for a few years, went with Blue Star on the South America ships for a time. White crew, cargo passenger, big crew. Guess how many B.A. visas's have China's fingerprints on them? A forensic search of Brasil Star crew visas would reveal a lot of identical folks. Mostly index fingers in turn.
Old 12th October 2015, 08:47

My location
Blue Star blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by China hand View Post
I left Bank Line for a few years, went with Blue Star on the South America ships for a time. White crew, cargo passenger, big crew. Guess how many B.A. visas's have China's fingerprints on them? A forensic search of Brasil Star crew visas would reveal a lot of identical folks. Mostly index fingers in turn.
Hi China hand, I always thought Blue Star ships had a great looking profile, with the distinctive funnel. Not sure who the main architect was, but they were as handsome as the Blue Funnel and OCL ships designed by Micheal Meek.

Approaching BA one sunny morning 1958 on the Eastbank with a pilot on board, moving up the approach channel, and with a very smart outward bound Blue Star ship passing very close down our port side. Captain Barry Mitchell on our bridge in his silk maroon cravat tucked neatly in his open neck shirt, and in a jovial frame of mind. As we draw level, bridge to bridge, he gives a cheery wave to their assembled bods on the bridge wing. Nothing! He tries again. Stony looks. Unable to help himself, he gives them an almighty V sign, accompanied by a loud raspberry noise!

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 12th October 2015 at 08:48.. Reason: Bigger V
Old 12th October 2015, 09:28
Active: 1954 - 1967

Buenos Aires Belts

Youthful shipmates who sported BA belts in the mid 50s made this first tripper feel somewhat out of the loop until I acquired one. These belts with various buckle designs may have been a fad confined to a few among those Bank Line apprentices who had been on the run from the Bay of Bengal.
I still have my buckle adorned with inlaid mother-of-pearl and ornate metal parts.
The same souvenir shop also had on offer silk-lined ladies sewing baskets made up from young armadillos curled snout-to-tail.
Not a suitable gift for present day tastes.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA Belt.JPG (163.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 12th October 2015, 22:48
ELDER MEMBER

never got a BA belt when I was on the run,but my grandson who was there earlier this year got me one,embossed leather ,but plain buckle,
\jim
Old 12th October 2015, 23:02
Active: 1958 - 1975

boots

what about the Ba boots
chas
Old 13th October 2015, 10:58

My location
Bought two pairs and although they looked great when new they quickly deteriorated in the wet and snow and were a waste of money. The leather jackets went the same way which was a pity.
B.A. was a great port afor us first trippers and the beer and steak sandwiches were superb - that "First and Last " Pub was always a haunt for us. We could make our meagre subs go a long way there.