Steam Drifters stores co. Ltd Lowestoft - Ships Nostalgia
19:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Steam Drifters stores co. Ltd Lowestoft

User Tag List

Old 3rd September 2019, 18:18

Steam Drifters stores co. Ltd Lowestoft

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here knows about Anchor Lamps/Lanterns?
I purchased an old flaky painted Lantern from the bootsale last week with the thought of turning it into a lamp or garden ornament. It has been stripped of white and then red paint and is back to galvanised steel. It revealed two brass badges, one reads "Anchor" and the other " Steam Drifter Stores co. Limited Lowestoft". I'd love to know more about its history but can find nothing online? Thank you in advance
Kelly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190902_184527_1567531089526.jpg (95.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 3rd September 2019, 19:51

Hello and welcome from New Zealand.Good luck with your search. Lots of very cluey people on this site.
Old 3rd September 2019, 20:43

Thank you 😃😃
Old 5th September 2019, 08:33

Nothing adrift here, as far as I can see. marked upas an anchor light. Question is it electric {bulb], or an Oil lantern.
Most vessels registered as British Ships, had two sets of navigation lights,
REd port, green starboard, and then masthead White, stern light white, and as a fishing vessel an all round green light, and then the anchor light.
The primery set of fixed lights Port, starboard, masthead, stern, where or could be in brass cases stamped by BOT { Board of Trade-government shipping office}, and the secondary set would be in galvanised steel casing, as where the Anchor and fishing light.
The position of the flame-oil lamp and the bulb -electric lamp, where or was such than when illuminated, they gave the range as required by INTERNATIONAL SHIP REGULATIONS- Rules of the road.
Old 5th September 2019, 08:37

Nothing adrift here except the words the lowestoft steam drifters, here you may have some old steam queens' dreaming of scotch boilers, up and downers, and some deepsea boys dreaming of water tube boilers, and steam turbines, all memories of the past, in this fast changing modern shipping world of ours?
Old 5th September 2019, 10:31
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1971 - 2011

There are still LNG vessels being built with turbine steam plant. Some managers are dreaming of recruiting engineering staff who have those dreams and can still walk without a Zimmer.
Old 5th September 2019, 11:19

Thank you guys, I knew about the Anchor light and what it was for and i read about the steam Drifters...it would have lovely to know if would have been used in WW1 but I suppose it would be difficult to tell. I love a bit of history. All my family have been in the military but sadly none in the Navy.
The lantern would have been an oil lamp and I'm sure would have been painted red at some point. I assume the brass lamps would have bee most used and galvanised steel possible used as spares? I have cleaned it up and added a battery operated light inside for now...looks lovely!