International Marine Radio Company - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
04:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

International Marine Radio Company

User Tag List

Old 1st August 2013, 12:11
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman1969 View Post
This was one of the best companies I was ever employed by, certainly big change from Marconi as far as 'personal touch' went.

I was with them from Sept 1970 to April 1974 - first ship 'Texaco Ghent' and last ship 'Orduna'; virtually all ships I was one were virtually new and equipped with ST1400 (1500W ssb Tx) - big change from Oceanspans/Reliance Tx's.

Any more IMR R/O's out there ? Must be a few still kicking.

Any ideas when George Todd 'crossed the bar' ? He was one of the best.
Hi
I was with IMRC from 1971 - 73 then joined Cunard. Sailed on Texaco Ghent and stood by the building of Orduna and sailed maiden voyage. Helped out on radio station installation at Cammell Lairds with the IMRC Liverpool depot guys who were well stretched at that time ( must have been to solicit my help!!!)
Remember George Todd with affection. Like you and so many others say, he was a gent.
Old 7th August 2013, 16:49
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by George McCaffery View Post
I joined Marconi in 1969 later worked for IMRC eventually joining the IMR Newcastle as Radio Engineer must have been about 1977.
I recognise that name, how long were you there for George ? Was that with Archie Couser and Dave Pollitt ? I joined IMRC at Peall Road in late 1978 working for John Ellis ....
Old 8th August 2013, 13:19

Hi Andy, I was at the Newcastle depot for 3 or 4 years initially with Archie then with Dave. It was a good time as all three rivers were busy. I know the name John Ellis but cannot place him.
Old 8th August 2013, 14:32
Super Moderator (L)

Quote:
Hi Andy, I was at the Newcastle depot for 3 or 4 years initially with Archie then with Dave. It was a good time as all three rivers were busy. I know the name John Ellis but cannot place him.
Hi George ...

John was the Installation Planner, he and I did the layouts, aerial rigs etc and got all the installation drawings, physical and wiring, out to the depots and shipyards.

I came up with John Scott (the then IMRC Service Manager) to sail on Tenchbank for trials, out of the Wear back into the Tyne, in late 1979, but I can't remember who came from the depot. All 3 rivers have changed a bit since then.

See : https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...y-palm/cat/all

Good to hear from you, I wonder where Dave is these days, or any of the other depot engineers ?

Cheers

Andy
Old 8th August 2013, 18:57

Hi Andy, I think i had moved on by then, it must have been Dave who seen to the Tenchbank. I remember the name John Ellis and do remember John Scott. I enjoyed most of my time with IMRC but it came to an end one night about 8 at night when i was stuck up a samson post on a Nigerian ship trying to sort out his aerials and it started to snow. Its times like that you wonder what you are doing. I don't know where any of the lads are now i used to keep in touch with Tony Johnson but lost contact. I was also in touch with Ian Urquart and Steve Teare but just heard this year through the ROA that Steve had died. I am enjoying the SN site but am just getting to understand it and have traced a couple of lads i sailed with but Dick Ware only seems to have posted once and i sent a PM to him bu nothing back yet. It is good to hear from you Andy hopefully we may hear from some others from IMRC. Best regards George
Old 12th August 2013, 11:51
Super Moderator (L)

Hi George ...

I definitely understand when and why your disillusionment set in !

I too was saddened to hear from the Fort Perch Rock museum guys of Steve Teare, a realy nice helpful guy. I did hear from Mike Jeffery about a year ago that Tony had been involved in an accident on board a ships somewhere a few years back, which has apparently left him in quite a bad way and unable to work, which sounded pretty nasty; I too have been trying to track him down, but without success.

Come on all you ex IMRC guys out there, there must be more than us few on this thread still about !

Cheers

Andy
Old 12th August 2013, 14:11

Quote:
Hi Andy, I think i had moved on by then, it must have been Dave who seen to the Tenchbank. I remember the name John Ellis and do remember John Scott. I enjoyed most of my time with IMRC but it came to an end one night about 8 at night when i was stuck up a samson post on a Nigerian ship trying to sort out his aerials and it started to snow. Its times like that you wonder what you are doing. I don't know where any of the lads are now i used to keep in touch with Tony Johnson but lost contact. I was also in touch with Ian Urquart and Steve Teare but just heard this year through the ROA that Steve had died. I am enjoying the SN site but am just getting to understand it and have traced a couple of lads i sailed with but Dick Ware only seems to have posted once and i sent a PM to him bu nothing back yet. It is good to hear from you Andy hopefully we may hear from some others from IMRC. Best regards George
Any idea where John Ellis was from pse?

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 14th August 2013, 17:42
Active: 1974 - 1991

Hi
I was a sparks from 1971 to 1991 firstly with the Marconi then went foreign flag (the lure of the money LOL) the latter part of my career. Luckily only did a few trips with the Ocean span 4 and 7, then crusaders (1000W) Comanders (400W) and the mighty Conqueror (1800 W but could be crancked up to 2000) never failed with that mighty beast. Progressed from 4000 word stores telegrams to telex which I thought was magic then latterly sattelite telex made the job so much easier. I changed rolls though did the Electronics cert and became firstly and ERO (Electronic Radio Officer) then an ETO (Electro technical Officer) with BP tankers working for Wallem ship management. i did no watchkeeping had a system that listened to 500 KC via the Auto alarm then had a recording system for SOS and was a day worker LOL Saturday afternoon off magic with the engineers and Lecky Thoroughly enjoyed my time at sea, now semi retired working for the Citizens advice bureau after doing House bashing electrical work and a myriad of other jobs
Old 16th August 2013, 23:58
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
Quote:
Hi George - the memories come flooding back! Worked with Ian Urquart and Steve Teare in Liverpool in 1970's. Steve was a real gent and a bit f a comedian. Sd to hear of his passing.
Old 17th August 2013, 01:07

Hi Peter, Yes Steve and Ian were a great team and worked together selling ship board equipment after the demise of IMR. I spotted Steve's obituary in the ROA magazine a few months back.
Old 19th August 2013, 05:17

IMRC - Fastest Interview ever

I joined IMRC straight from finishing at Lowestoft College. In early '74 I went down by train and tube and I think bus to get to the offices. They were just moving or had just moved in to new offices... as I was walking up the stairs (3rd floor?) Dave Wardley met me on the way down. "You have your ticket and radar..?? Right.! you're in.. Let's get a beer and some lunch..." Never went further into the office in the 6+ years I worked for IMRC...

Joined the Booker Venture in Govan dry-dock with Don Macrae, couldn't have asked for a better start..!!

Went through Stephensons, BP coasters, the RRS Shackleton, Denholms, several Blue Star freezer boats, a couple of scrap runs to Korea with boats from Australia (300w main tx !!) and after several other Denholms and PSNC trips finished on the ACT 7.
Containers from Liverpool to Sydney and then straight back, with 1 night ashore was the final straw...!!

Dave was an excellent manager, he said he'd even tried to book me on Concorde to get me to vessel after I'd agreed to a very short leave to bail him out.. .... Good times...

Quote:
This was one of the best companies I was ever employed by, certainly big change from Marconi as far as 'personal touch' went.

I was with them from Sept 1970 to April 1974 - first ship 'Texaco Ghent' and last ship 'Orduna'; virtually all ships I was one were virtually new and equipped with ST1400 (1500W ssb Tx) - big change from Oceanspans/Reliance Tx's.

Any ideas when George Todd 'crossed the bar' ? He was one of the best.
Old 21st August 2013, 12:45
Super Moderator (L)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
Any idea where John Ellis was from pse?
I remember he sometimes referred to himself as an 'East Coast Chinaman' - not sure about the reference's origin, but I think he was a son of Leith.

Last edited by andysk; 21st August 2013 at 12:48.. Reason: Typos
Old 21st August 2013, 12:47
Super Moderator (L)

Quote:
Hi Peter, Yes Steve and Ian were a great team and worked together selling ship board equipment after the demise of IMR. I spotted Steve's obituary in the ROA magazine a few months back.
Hi George ....
I think Steve had quite a lot of contact with a chap on here known as 'Freddie the Frog' of the Forth Perch Rock museum in the Wirral. He may be able to tell you more.
Old 21st August 2013, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysk View Post
I remember he sometimes referred to himself as an 'East Coast Chinaman' - not sure about the reference's origin, but I think he was a son of Leith.
Thanks for the reply I wonder if Scarborough comes under that definition bearing in mind the number from North of the Border that are in residence there.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel

Last edited by chadburn; 21st August 2013 at 14:26..
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:21
Super Moderator (L)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
Thanks for the reply I wonder if Scarborough comes under that definition bearing in mind the number from North of the Border that are in residence there.
Take cover from irate Yorkshiremen !
Old 22nd January 2014, 00:49

Quote:
This was one of the best companies I was ever employed by, ...

I went from James Watt, Greenock, into NZSCo about 1968, was put under house arrest in Piraeus when the Colonels had their coup, then had an serious accident in Auckland about 71, was repatriated back to the UK, took about a year to recover then could not get employment due medical history. Finally found IMR in Croydon who were desparate for R/0s, and who took a chance on me. I started on the Houlder Brothers ships on the Norwegian/Murmansk run and also into the Med then graduated to ice-breakers under a Norwegian consortium (Denholm ship management), lived in the old Yugoslavia under contract while the new range of "Troll" vessels was under construction and took the Arctic Troll out on its maiden voyage. It broke down and was helpless out of helicopter range so stripped out a control board and replaced its functions with a couple of discrete transistors out of my sony HF radio which got it started. Later took another ship to Vancouver during the Christmas holidays under a Captain Dunipace who nobody wanted to sail with. It was painful but a great bunch of officers and this gained me brownie points so i got the choice of ships after that. I wanted to get back to NZ so selected and stayed with Blue Star Line and particularly loved the older Auckland Star which was a steam turbine because it was silent running and the deck Quoits around the upper wooden decks a great diversion! I had also been on a car carrier running from Belgium to Savannah which had a RB211 marine jet engine venting up the back wall of my cabin which blew my hearing and caused a lot of stress so the chance to sail a slow steam turbine of post war vintage was a treat! At some stage I saved a fog collision when a ship was broken down off the grand banks directly in the path of an unmanned Liberian "right of way" and i managed to fluke a power supply switch from the Decca Navigator to the radar. Blue Star were grateful and a couple of years later when they saw I wanted to pay off the Timaru Star in LA, took me on to Vancouver and paid all my costs to emigrate to NZ. At the same time IMR gave me an entire years salary as bonus. They were really good at looking after their staff. IMR for me were an amazing employer and I loved every minute of my time with them even when I got growled at for repairing a broken IMR54 with non-approved parts which put it outside type-approved status. At the time we had been running before 80-foot swells for two days in the NA with a cracked duct keel with ships sinking around us and our engineers drilling dirty big holes between compartments so other bilge pumps could get the water out. The growling was just too ironic to react to as we just all wanted to stay alive at the time and just made anything work. But these things are also the substance of the best memories.
Cheers!
Old 15th February 2014, 01:52

Hi Andy, I have just made contact with both Dave Pollitt and Tony Johnson, both are up for some sort of IMR reunion. Best george
Old 18th February 2014, 18:24
Super Moderator (L)

Hi George ...

Thanks for this, I had a PM from Dave the other day, very sad to hear about Tony's situation.

I'd be interested in a reunion, but where ? Probably most are scattered to the 4 winds by now !

All the best ....

Andy
Old 18th February 2014, 19:10
Active: 1975 - 1985

I never worked for IMR but sailed with IMR radio rooms with P&O Bulk. An ST1600 and a pair of Mackay Marine 3021As. Lovely!

Last edited by endure; 18th February 2014 at 19:15..
Old 19th February 2014, 01:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysk View Post
Hi George ...

Thanks for this, I had a PM from Dave the other day, very sad to hear about Tony's situation.

I'd be interested in a reunion, but where ? Probably most are scattered to the 4 winds by now !

All the best ....

Andy
Hi Andy, I the UK somewhere nice and central. Best george
Old 19th February 2014, 01:44
Active: 1980 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by endure View Post
I never worked for IMR but sailed with IMR radio rooms with P&O Bulk. An ST1600 and a pair of Mackay Marine 3021As. Lovely!

My first ship - a lovely P and O box boat - had 2 STR1600s and TWO digital readout Collins main rx'ers...

Talk about spoiled...
Old 19th February 2014, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
My first ship - a lovely P and O box boat - had 2 STR1600s and TWO digital readout Collins main rx'ers...

Talk about spoiled...
That's just greedy!
Old 19th February 2014, 12:52
Active: 1980 - 1991

It was all down hill from there....

Old 22nd February 2014, 22:05

My location
Just curious, did the ST1600 use the same output bottles as the 1400, 4CX250B? Wondering if they did a complete re-design or just increased the anode voltage to get the extra 200W (nominal of course).
Old 22nd February 2014, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naytikos View Post
Just curious, did the ST1600 use the same output bottles as the 1400, 4CX250B? Wondering if they did a complete re-design or just increased the anode voltage to get the extra 200W (nominal of course).
Yes it used 4CX250Bs. Never sailed with a 1400 so couldn't tell you the differences.