International Marine Radio Company - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
14:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

International Marine Radio Company

User Tag List

Old 5th March 2018, 17:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1967 - 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29 View Post
Clive
I think you are refering to Mr Grithiths (spelling?), talked out the cor
The guy with the false leg took a dislike to me for some reason but we only had him for morse. Mr Teasdale, "you can solder a cats a**e to a brick "......

Best Wishes

Alan
Better late than never. The guy with the false leg was either Johnson or Joynson.

Last edited by P.Arnold; 5th March 2018 at 18:06.. Reason: Addition of text
Old 6th March 2018, 12:48
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Arnold View Post
Better late than never. The guy with the false leg was either Johnson or Joynson.
Hi, thanks for that info, I think he was the only name missing from the list of lecturers at Riversdale in that era.
There is one other name that would be good to remember and that was the technician who assisted in lab sessions. He was very protective of the gear and made sure everything was put away properly. He worked with Mr Teasdale also assisted Mr Bruce with fault finding sessions etc. I remember he set up about 6 televisions in the lab so that we could all watch the launch of QE2 that was broadcast live.
Best Wishes
Alan
Old 6th March 2018, 19:21

Riversdale college

Hello Alan and Peter
The name of the lecturer was Johnny Joynson and the lab techniction
was DAVE something used to wear glasses.
A other guy who was a lecturer and left during our course
was Gerry Sharp who sent brilliant morse and was on queens ships with IMR. He left to be a milkman because it payed more money than lecturing at that time .What a waste of great talent that was.
Cheers 73.s de ftf
Old 7th March 2018, 11:29

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddythefrog View Post
Hello Alan and Peter
was Gerry Sharp who sent brilliant morse and was on queens ships with IMR. He left to be a milkman because it payed more money than lecturing at that time .What a waste of great talent that was.
Cheers 73.s de ftf
Thanks ftf for that info. I think the Technician was also involved in the tv servicing courses that took place in F block.
The story we heard about Johnny Joynson was that he damaged his leg in an on board accident.
When you look at the entire list of staff, it goes to show how many of us there were back then trying to get to sea. I think in my year we started with three groups and there were two groups ahead of us plus of course a fairly big bunch converting to 1st Class and on top of that the radar group was also fairly sizable. Considering there were probably only 3000 active R/Os at any one time, there must have been a big turn over to keep all the radio colleges going.

Best Wishes

Alan
Old 7th March 2018, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29 View Post
Thanks ftf for that info. I think the Technician was also involved in the tv servicing courses that took place in F block.
The story we heard about Johnny Joynson was that he damaged his leg in an on board accident.
When you look at the entire list of staff, it goes to show how many of us there were back then trying to get to sea. I think in my year we started with three groups and there were two groups ahead of us plus of course a fairly big bunch converting to 1st Class and on top of that the radar group was also fairly sizable. Considering there were probably only 3000 active R/Os at any one time, there must have been a big turn over to keep all the radio colleges going.

Best Wishes

Alan
A lot of the lads only lasted a couple of years, Alan. Suppose they went on to bigger and better things, hope so anyway. Myself, I had to stay because of the duty free.

John T
Old 7th March 2018, 13:03

My location
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
A lot of the lads only lasted a couple of years, Alan. Suppose they went on to bigger and better things, hope so anyway. Myself, I had to stay because of the duty free.

John T
A good reason John
Yes come to think of it, two of my mates only did 1 trip and didn't like it. Most R/O's met on ship visits were young so probably as a profession, we only did 5 years or so before coming ashore. I think marriage must of taken many ashore. To be honest, I never saw it as a long term career either, so having seen a bit of the world decided to come ashore. Also, even back then in 1975, the writing was already on the wall, as R/O's, we were best placed to see the technology coming that was going to make us redundant, this together with the demise of the MN meant the employment market for R/O's quickly dried up. I think most UK coast stations ceased w/t operations in 1997
Best Wishes
Alan
Old 8th March 2018, 06:26
Active: 1980 - 1991

I managed 11 years and got a golden handshake.

Even with a very young family, the money and leave (6 on:6 off) was hard to resist...
Old 9th March 2018, 02:38

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddythefrog View Post
Hello Alan and Peter
Cheers 73.s de ftf
Gerry Sharp was the maintenance technician on QMary during my time on there 1960. He did no watches and practically lived down aft in the transmitter room and I often used to go down there for a chat. Gerry was a breath of fresh air and would always be willing to explain the huge glowing bits of unique equipment installed there. Not sure I took in too much of it though.
Old 9th March 2018, 17:58

Riversdale College

Alan and Peter
Just had a brain storm and finally camed up with the Technicians surname it was -----Jackson---- tall and thin with glasses.
Also thanks info ref Gerry Sharp from Imrcompany sparks.
Cheers 73;s de ftf
Old 9th March 2018, 19:39
Active: 1967 - 1977

[QUOTE=freddythefrog;2822641]Alan and Peter
Just had a brain storm and finally camed up with the Technicians surname it was -----Jackson---- tall and thin with glasses

Hi FTF
Thats the one. A quiet chap as I recall. Though I suppose with the steady stream of potential R/Os, he had seen everything before.

CU Peter
Old 13th February 2019, 00:52
Active: 1944 - 1954

Yes, there are still some IMR R/O's around.

I was an R/O with IMR June 1944-September 1954. Spent time on Cargo, tankers and liners. Special in 1944, 2nd in 1946 and 1st in1950.
IMR company was very close knit personnel wise and could be a bit anti in ship allocation if not quite satisfied with performance, or something.
Was junior and later senior R/O on Aquitania, junior on Queen Mary and my last ship was Sythia. Served on Franconia and Ascania. After that I was employed in GW work and have been retired now for 26 years.
I enjoyed all of those 10 years in general.
I'm not sure about other R/O's being around but I remember with great fondness, George Parsons on Aquitania and Queen Mary. Pipe smoking growler, but brilliant technical man.
73's. Ex G3CBP and now VK5HV
Old 17th June 2019, 18:45
Active: 1975 - 1979

I sailed as an IMRC sparks from May 77 until April 79 and attended a training course at the Croydon office before sailing on the New Zealand Star, Graigffion, Troll Lake and finally Montreal Star after which I came ashore. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with IMRC. The only one of the office staff I remember was Dave Wardley, the HR/personnel manager.
Old 18th June 2019, 02:01
Active: 1944 - 1954

IMRC time

Hello. IMRC was a good company, the boss man new the names of all the staff. In my time it was a Mr. Harrison, the Radio Traffic Manager.
He could be a bit of a B at times. I remember there was a Director who used to visit Cunard ships when in Southampton. He always left with a few goodies, probably the reason he visited!!!
My last ship was the Scythia, fairly old and a Stan Browne was the Chief.
I enjoyed all my 10 years at sea, even the crappy ships like Glanowen and SS Fylingdale were interesting. On the Glanowen I sometimes acted as helmsman, long lead from the adjacent radio room.
I thing Stan Browne was the Chief on Queen Mary, GBTT on her last voyage to San Pedro California. He was a real gentleman. Bye.
Old 17th July 2019, 17:42

IMR badged Eddystone 700

Only saw this receiver when freelance. Any IMR member had a play?
Old 17th July 2019, 21:36
Active: 1962 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Only saw this receiver when freelance. Any IMR member had a play?
Had this rx on one ship, ( while with AEI), unfortunately it had a habit of breaking into oscillation on 6Mhz. Otherwise a good piece of kit for that era.
Old 31st August 2019, 13:33
Active: 1955 - 1960

I joined IMR in 1955, with a PMG 1 from Hull Tech, and was posted to RMS "Franconia" as 3rd R/O.
The Chief R/O was E Purdom Bishop.

First trip normal - up to Quebec & back.
Later crossed over to Halifax NS as the St Lawrence closed up.(ICE?)

Had a couple of trips carrying Troops and wives from Canada to Europe.
Oddly wives were not put on the same ship!!

Was at home, In Yorkshire, for Christmas, and was summoned back to live in Shell Tanker "Naticina" for 14 months.

Norman Griffin, who was a fellow student, and friend, at Hull Tech, took over on the Franconia & was lucky enough to stay in Cunard & graduate to chief R/R on the biggies.

I flew home from Naticina from Singapore & immediately dumped IMR to join Brocklebanks.

Sailed in many of their ships until the early sixties.

Alan Holmes was my Nr 2 at one time and he was there when Brocks became self employed with Cunard.

He went on to be Chief R/O on one of the other Biggies.

Note One of the things which I find interesting, thinking back, was that the two older R/Os on the Franconia were probably in training back when those on the Titanic were in training!