Booth Line - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
12:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Booth Line

User Tag List

Old 28th August 2012, 07:30
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Booth Line

I hadn't very long with Sharp. More with Potts and Baxter. A strange Geordie mate called Horsley Magnay. Booth line fella in the Amazon called Ted Avery from Liverpool and his delightfully sexy wife. Capt Humphreys I recall in NY as super I think. And yes, the Shlitz and Pabst beers. Great company.
Old 28th August 2012, 07:59
Active: 1955 - 1997

Booth Line

I sailed with Magnay as 2nd mate on the "Dunstan"....the word strange does describe him, he always used to wear stinking trainers. The lifeboats on the "Dunstan" leaked something awful, so Magnay got chippy to re caulk them...when we arrived Liverpool Magnay reported that the boats were in tip top condition, I was on leave but I believe the boats were lowered for a test in Queens dock..I think the shore gang just managed to get the hooks back on before they sank. Never heard about him after that.
Forgot to mention Ted Avery and the wife you describe was called Iris, He left Belem and the last time I heard about him was we was working with Manchester Liners...he was glassed in the face in Manchester when he went to break up a fight...I like Ted and Iris real nice couple.
No Humphreys(Jacare) was never a super in New York, maybe you got mixed up with Hunter you was super there. Captain Humphreys met and married a Polish Countess who was a passenger on an Amazon Cruise...just left his wife and children of God knows how many years, mind you money talks. The Countess bought him a full Square Rigged Barque which he kept berthed in Castries,St Lucia which was supposed to run charter work in the West Indies but never got off the ground. Funny thing really is that the day he was sacked for all his shenanigans, I passed him in the office on the way to be promoted to my first command.

Last edited by Foca; 28th August 2012 at 08:13..
Old 28th August 2012, 11:44

My location
Booth Line

Hunter was the chap. Grey cells are going. Iris Avery was a great sport. They travelled with us on the river once and we had some unforgettable parties on that boat deck. We went swimming at Portel where she insisted on riding around on my shoulders trying to knock everyone else under water. Almost drowned me! The experience was repeated by another "river female" - Victoria van Scherpenberg, whose father ran the timber outfit up at Santarem de Macapa. Ole!
Old 29th August 2012, 14:25

I seem to remember old Von Scherpenberg and his daughters at the timber port on Santana Island opposite the Ore berth, later it was taken over by the Murphy Brothers who also ran other logging port just before the entrance to the narrows which the name of I cannot remember....which was run by a very good friend Otto and his wife Pat. It was a treat to load there, Otto would fly down to Belem in his Lake Sea Plane(First time I ever flew was in that) for a seven reeler film and we would all be invited up the the house Pat would make us steaks and apple pie like momma made, with a film in the jungle clearing after(Everyone from miles around came to watch). They always had a return invite to the ship the next day for lunch. I used to see them every trip as they retired to Wilmington N.C., Pat sadly died of cancer but Otto came over to Wales to see us in the early !989. Did you ever go to that place?
Old 29th August 2012, 14:51

My location
Booth Line

Never met an Otto but I remember the Van Scherpenbergs well. Had some very pleasant, relaxed spells there on their garden by the river. The names of the other estuary logging stops (tied to trees) have been lost in time and it would take a bit of jogging to dislodge them. Like I said earlier, great times which I would hate to have missed. I
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:33
Department: Navigation
Active: 1953 - 1962

Hi duquesa,
Very surprised to hear Capt Norman Sharpe was a strict master.
I sailed with him on the Crispin and spent many a happy hour chatting to him
on the bridge wing during the voyages I served on her with him.
Maybe we got on well because we had both served our time on tramp ships and
came from the same city so we had much in common. I found him to be a very
good seaman and master.
Caffj
Old 24th September 2012, 08:27

My location
Booth Line

Hi caffj, well it is a long time back and as I said, from memory only a "tad" stern. I really have nothing to complain about regarding any Booth Line officers I encountered. As a company in general, they were a pleasure to work with (IMHO!).
Old 24th September 2012, 08:43

Booth Line

Although I did not sail with Norman Sharpe, from what I heard I do not think duquesa "tad" stern is not far off the mark. Norman loved his beer, and the story goes he tried to defrost his fridge by pouring hot water in and closing the door...the fridge imploded...company were non too amused.
Old 12th November 2012, 06:20
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1975

Folks, I love reading this forum - I didn't realize how many Maggie Boothers there are out there. I spent a great year on Viajero on the Amazon in 66/67 and before that on Devis on the Brazzie coast. If anyone has time, take a look at my posts at www.mike-williamson.blogspot.com.au I would love to hear from any of you. I'm trying to track a few of my old shipmates down, but so far no deal. I know a few of them like Frank Stinchcombe (The Saint) and John Cullimore are no longer with us - and I suspect that this is sadly true for a few more of 'em. If you like my posts - please leave a comment on the site - I'd love to hear from you - and keep the great posts coming.
Old 12th November 2012, 08:15

My location
Booth Line

Hi Mike, as you will have noticed I too was on Viajero but a bit before your time so I'm no help with your shipmates. However, your blog and accounts are brilliant . So accurate and bring back many happy memories. I'll read all again when I've got some time off which happens to be not now! Thanks for posting.
Old 13th November 2012, 10:41

Hi Mike...Just missed you on the "Viajero", I relieved John Needham in August 1967 for 12 months. Previous year I joined the "Veras" in Hamburg during the lengthening before sailing in February back to the Amazon service. John eventually married the girl he had been courting from Brooklyn, some of the "V" boats were laid up in Brooklyn for a while and I think John spent a lot of time there. I personally think we should think of having a reunion for all Booth Line river-men...it was an experience of a lifetime, I spent 15 years on the Amazon run before being moved to the Lamport South American run; which I enjoyed as well.
Old 14th November 2012, 15:26
Active: 1970 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lorimer View Post
Anyone have background on this vessel? Or on Lloyd Hughes and the heoirc gang that took her from Galveston to Iquitos? I have a story to tell...
Hi David, i am the only guy who sailed on the BERNARD and went with her when she became the BERWELL ADVENTURE as 2nd engineer.I was with her from beginning to end.It was me that ran the job.When i left to my knowledge she didn't sail again and was handed back to booths before they sold her on.It was an amazing experience and i have an equally amazing storey to tell.The address on my mail which i have kept all this time and i am looking at it now was OVERSEAS MARINE INCORPORATED,11BROADWAY NEW YORK, NEW YORK. The owners name whom i dealt with directley was BERT WELLSFORD.What else would you like to know.my email is:[email protected]
Old 14th November 2012, 16:48
Active: 1963 - 1967

MIke I just read your blog wonderful envious of your trips with Booth as I had the opportunity to do that on the Basil but took a Beaver boat instead for two trips, why I am not sure after all this time. But did do the Sth American trips with BSL B.A. Montevideo through the Magellan Straits to Valpo, Callao, Illo, etc & back a few times. So many stories, so many great shipmates if some even by those days a bit loopy (: Also did one trip on a BA Flyer. I have tried to get a picture of the Basil to no avail, my mate who did the trip said he had one but has not been able to locate it sadly & can find out zero on her via the net. Ironicly I wound up the jnr project manager of Illo's huge open cut copper mine as my first job out of London Uni where I went when I left the sea, small world huh? Richard

Last edited by Leratty; 14th November 2012 at 16:51..
Old 14th November 2012, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
Hi David, i am the only guy who sailed on the BERNARD and went with her when she became the BERWELL ADVENTURE as 2nd engineer.I was with her from beginning to end.It was me that ran the job.When i left to my knowledge she didn't sail again and was handed back to booths before they sold her on.It was an amazing experience and i have an equally amazing storey to tell.The address on my mail which i have kept all this time and i am looking at it now was OVERSEAS MARINE INCORPORATED,11BROADWAY NEW YORK, NEW YORK. The owners name whom i dealt with directly was BERT WELLSFORD.What else would you like to know.my email is:[email protected]
I am afraid you have not got the full story....the "Berwell Adventure" was left to rot in Gulfport by Overseas Marine Inc, with over 2.5 Million Dollars of writs pinned to her wheelhouse window. The crew hand not been paid and left, leaving only a Greek mate who promoted himself to Captain and his belly dancer partner, who lived ashore: and a stowaway Costa Rican who could not leave the ship. When I flew out with a Chief Engineer the ship was rat infested, filthy as all the rooms were covered in soot from the fires the crew had been burning in their rooms to keep warm, the galley stoves likewise were buckled from being used as wood burners. Nothing in the Engine-room worked and the bilges were full of oily water up to the plates...hatches had been left open and the remains of the fertilizer that had been part loaded and then discharged had rusted all the hatches, none of the deck winches worked...I could go on and on but the ship was a complete mess. I found out how the Greek Captain could afford to live ashore, he and his girl friend had been coming aboard each day and taking cigarettes and spirits from the bond and flogging it ashore.....he certainly did not like it when I threw them both off the ship and changed the locks on the Bond.
Anyway to cut a long story short, after about 2 months we eventually got the ship fumigated, cleaned up, engines sorted etc and most of the crew joined.
We sailed as the "Berwell Adventure" under the British Flag to New Orleans,Houston, Galveston and Pensacola to load a complete oil rig for BP, oil pipes, DC8 caterpillars, cement,explosives and other oilfield material all destined for Iquitos Peru. On the return trip from Brazil we loaded a full cargo for Lisbon,Leixoes, Barry and Liverpool.
The trip took six months and during that time we earned enough in freight to pay off the writs and all our expenses..so that when the ship was sold in Liverpool she was debt free.
And for your information Overseas Marine Inc were never the owners of the "Berwell Adventure" but the charterers, anyway Booths got their money back so they were happy. So you see you were not the only guy who sailed on her as the "Berwell Adventure".....and I can tell you it was an adventure, but that is a story for another time.

Last edited by Foca; 14th November 2012 at 19:48..
Old 14th November 2012, 17:43

Leratty, Hi
Picture of the "Basil" on the Blue Star site: I sailed on her as the "Dunstan". I was Master on the "Belloc" in 1980/81 on a Chilean National Line charter, we called in Illo a lot on our travels, really enjoyed that run from the Continent via Punta Arenas, Magellan Straits and the West Coast and sometimes coming down the other way round
Regards Lloyd.

http://bluestarline.org/booth/dunstan4.html

Last edited by Foca; 14th November 2012 at 19:37..
Old 15th November 2012, 15:54
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

Leratty, Goto http://www.photoship.co.uk Old ship galleries "B" page 8
wherethereis a photo of BASIL
Old 15th November 2012, 18:02

Hi Foca what an adventure, JC I was on the Warkworth a Dalglesh vessel & a bloody good looking ship too as well as a happy one. She was pretty new & she was seized by Le Sheriff akin Berwell Adventure. Writs all over the wheel house doors, it was in Three Rivers or Sorel Quebec around 64 I think? We had to anchor off in the mighty St Lawrence, still remember what we saw caught on the anchor cables in the morning (: What an amusing trip that was & much longer than expected too not that it worried me as I got to taste my very first pizza & enjoy the company of one or two French Canadian Damsel’s, oh la, la!
Yours sounded a lot worse but still I suggest amusing as well as an experience you would not have missed? Richard

Last edited by Leratty; 15th November 2012 at 18:07..
Old 15th November 2012, 18:06

R58484956 JC sounds like a safe No (: anway thanks so much for that, a ripper site, have the photo along with some others I was seeking. Sincerly much appreciated. Richard
Old 15th November 2012, 18:14

Focca I was well out of Illo by then job done & dusted. Went from there to Jamaica as snr Project manager putting in a bauxite mine for Kaiser. The money was embarrassing for one in their early 20's, A/H 300 mk3 in Baltimore, nice apartment nice lady friends, money in the bank. No way that would have happened if I had stayed at sea ): I tell you the mining industry was easy as amusing as the sea on the WCSA, some truly memorable people who took life by the horns & shook it. The places we worked were often in a word different! Bloody good times as with those at sea, strong bonds between us all & still friends with quite a No around the world too. Richard
Old 19th November 2012, 05:37
Active: 1965 - 1975

Black Muddy River roll on forever!

Hi Boothers and Laurel & Hardy fans, I've just posted my last and final chapter in my Viajero and Amazon saga. Not sure how to link it, but please check it out at http://mike-williamson.blogspot.com....n-forever.html. If you like it, please leave a comment. Matter of fact, if you don't like it, leave one as well - I can take it!
Thanks to Foca on the update on a couple of characters. Anyone wants to organise a reunion sometime, while we're all still kicking - let me know!
Keep that lantern swinging
Mike
Old 19th November 2012, 09:30

My location
Booth Line

Another good one Mike, well done.
Old 20th July 2013, 19:17

anyone remember jack Jordan chief steward I am his son
Old 20th July 2013, 22:45
Department: Purser
Active: 1961 - 1976

I was the assistant purser onboard the Hubert for two years 1962 until 1964 when she was renamed.
Captain was Commodore Jackson Wayman, Purser was Alfie Boyce, seem to remember the Chief Engineer was Sam Inch.
The two years I had on the Hubert were the best years I ever spent at sea, I think that Jack Jordan was the Chief Steward.
Old 21st July 2013, 10:26

Thank very much for your last about jack Jordan.I am his son and I joined the royal navy
Old 21st July 2013, 10:47

Ysgolfach, asked this before on this thread, but wondered if you ever knew Chief Stewards Sam Murtagh and Fred Archer from Booth Line. Both ended up in LOF.

John T