SN Member Skeds & Special Events Stations on Amateur Radio Bands - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
15:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

SN Member Skeds & Special Events Stations on Amateur Radio Bands

User Tag List

Old 1st September 2015, 00:58
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1972 - 2000

Maritime & CW Watch Frequencies

For both ex-seagoing Radio Officers and those who just love CW, a new calling frequency of 7050 kHz has been established in Australia and wherever else wishes to take it up.

This is the idea of Lou / VK5EEE (www.qrz.com/db/VK5EEE) and Peter VK4QC (ex VIA, VIB, VID, VIS).

Beyond Australia, Jeff KH6O in Hawaii has indicated that he will monitor the frequency.

K6KPH stands watch on 7050kcs each Saturday from about 1800Z to about 0000Z and often have a wheel/callband running on the frequency. K6KPH is on fixed frequencies using ex-KPH transmitters and their ops will understand QSS and UP for those who want to dust off their RO skills. (They also run WX for the North Pacific via KSM on 426/4/6/8/12/16/22 for about 1.5hrs at 25wpm.

K6KPH also keeps guard on 18097.5 and this has been suggested as a possible watch/calling frequency for the wider world.

http://www.vkcw.net/7050
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:56
no longer actively involved

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
I've posted this before but if anyone wants to monitor a frequency while on the internet there is no better way to do it than this bearing in mind the radio and aerial are based in the Netherlands ... http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
It doesn't work with some browsers but using Google Chrome I listen occasionally to BBC Long Wave on 198 kc/s AM and it comes thru beautifully with that old nostalgic ring.
I find this other Dutch one rather handy at times, in fact used it yesterday when things were a bit long on 40m for some on the RAIBC net....it's better than listening to overs of white noise during the net.
http://weert.websdr.nl/
Works on all devices I use, chrome and ipad

Whole raft of web sdr's listed here
http://websdr.org/

The global map of them is handy for finding one from the area best suited for your needs.
Old 4th September 2015, 10:45

My location
Quote:
Far too complicated for us old Sparkers, Andy...Bet your shack is full of Jap gear?
That's quite funny as the site I gave a link to is an identical layout to the one you posted a link to, just a different location and better rx aerial. What precisely is far too complicated compared to the contents of your own post, or couldn't you understand your own post either?

I really should know better than take the bait of one of SN's resident trolls, but my shack is a mixture of US (Elecraft, Alpha, Bencher/Vibroplex), Bulgarian (Acom), Italian (SPE), Germany (Weller) and Japanese (Icom) and of course England with my own homebrew projects.
I even have an aerial made in Wales, but there is nothing worth mentioning from Scotland.

Don't gamble mate.
Old 4th September 2015, 17:17

My location
Quote:
Excepting the one I gave covers continuously 00-29.160 mhz and yours including those in your "raft" link appear to be all ham band dedicated or am I missing something?
The full index of web sdr's that I gave, which includes your favourite one, includes others that cover the entire HF spectrum, some with gaps some without. Many of these sdr receivers are not run by amateur's nor even those with any particular interest in amateur bands.
So yes, you are missing something.

But this particular thread 'SN Member Skeds & Special Events Stations on Amateur Radio Bands' does revolve around amateur band use, so I'd say the links are extremely relevant
Old 12th November 2015, 11:57

RNARS CW Contest

14th November is a chance to meet up with others on the key.
http://www.rnars.org.uk/Contests.html
Andrew
Old 6th December 2015, 12:03
user
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1984 - 2013

I would have thought it was clear. Stop nit picking.
Old 5th February 2016, 13:18

T1154/R1155 etc vintage activity 6th Feb.

VMARS announced an AM net for 6/2/16 0800 onwards, 3615, to try and get some of the 100 or so known T1154s on air again. As these sets were hardly ever used on R/T I proposed CW activity that evening starting at 1830 around 3570. Its not necessarily a net but QSOs with vintage gear if possible. I'll have my T1154 on air so be prepared for some drift and chirp.
73, Andrew
Old 6th February 2016, 14:54

Maritime Radio Day (MRD) 2016

from Rolf MarSchner/DL9CM

the next Maritime Radio Day will take place
April 14th 1200 UTC to April 15th 2200 UTC
to register participation in the event please go to:

http://www.seefunk-fx-intern.de/mrda...d_registry.php
Old 3rd March 2016, 22:28
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Fishing
Active: 1959 - 2014

Trouble trying to post

Ahoy! I want to post a msg but can't seem to determine whether to go through the "reply to post" or find the ever-so-elusive "start new thread" route. What I want to do is let the amateur radio guys (especially those that were brass pounders on ships) of an upcoming special event from RCA's old WCC/CHATHAM RADIO honoring the anniversary of RCA's first day of ship-to-shore radiotelegraphy 95 years ago. We will have several old-time CW ops that actually worked at WCC as well as other coastal radio stations. So, please bail me out with specific instructions of how to post using the "sticky" system designed for that purpose. Than you in advance...
R S RYDER
Old 3rd March 2016, 22:44

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRyder View Post
Ahoy! I want to post a msg but can't seem to determine whether to go through the "reply to post" or find the ever-so-elusive "start new thread" route.
You mean the big red 'new thread' button in every forum to the left, above and below, the list of threads in that forum
Old 30th May 2016, 16:19

Having just read the above posts I'm still none the wiser!
Has anyone agreed on a frequency for Europe?
Suggest somewhere between 14050 and 14060, it's normally quiet around there. The skeds/freqs in Aussie and Hawaii not much use to me here in SVA!
Old 19th August 2016, 22:33

CR6LH - José Luís-CT1GZB, Carlos Cortês-CT1CSY e Rafael-CT2JXT are going
to participate in ILLW 2016 International Lighthouse Lightship Weekend,
with the special callsign CR6LH, days 20 and 21 of August 2016, from Cabo
Espichel Lighthouse, with follow references:
ILLW: PT-0005
DFP: FES-11
DPRN: FF-03 (CTFF-03) Natural Park of Arrábida
ARLHS: POR-009
PFFP (Portuguese Lighthouses & Beacons Plaque): PF-049
And hope to be active in the most number of HF bands possible in SSB, PSK31 and CW
QSL: Bureau or Direct to CT1GZB
Old 4th October 2016, 13:07
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
The Radio Officers Association Amateur Radio Society (ROARS) has a new-ish sked on Tuesdays which is notionally for members but in reality welcomes all former R/O's as the intention is to keep CW and morse alive. These are the details:
New ROARS Sked on Tuesdays
NEW RAGCHEW(TUES)DAY SKED

We would like to propose the following new sked to encourage more members to go on the air for a leisurely CW chat as we used to do during a slack watch at sea. This will provide an on air meeting place and time to connect with colleagues/ friends which we don’t have at the moment.

Please note that this is not a Net and there will be no Net Controller. However for the first few weeks there will be a couple of us waiting in the wings to help things along. As a matter of courtesy, QSOs should proceed at the speed of the slower operator. Once a QSO is established please QSY Up or down to make room for others to make a call.

SKED DETAILS

WHEN Commencing Tuesday Sept. 6th and weekly thereafter from 1000 – 1100 Local time.

Call Freqs: 3538 KHz and 7017 KHz.

Call format: CQ ROA DE MYCALL.

Exchange: RST + Op Name + (optional) Membership Number. + QSY +/- KHz.

Call Speed: What you are comfortable with. (Speed of slower Operator)

Topics: Your choice of Topic.

Duration: As long as you like.
Old 4th February 2018, 12:56
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Deck
Active: 1993 - Present

I'm not much good for CW, but if you look for spots for N1ZZZ/MM you can give me a shout.
Old 24th March 2018, 15:11

Maritime Radio Day

On the 14th & 15th of April 2018 the MRD – Maritime Radio Day event is being held. This involves ham radio stations from all over the world with a maritime connection working each other on cw. This connection may be merely an interest in things maritime or they may be ex-seagoing or Coast Station operators or technic al staff. They can use their own ham calls or use specially allocated calls where these are available, these calls may include the callsign of the Coast Station(s) they worked at. When I last checked GB0GKA and GB0GLD had registered to participate, other ex-Coast Station operators will be on air using their own calls. Some well known calls like DAN, DAO and DHS will also be on air.

For more information see:-

http://www.mrd.seefunker.eu/mrd_history.php

I will be operating GB0GLV like I did last year. Hope to work some of you!

Now must go and polish my cw, I’m not very QRL these days……
Old 25th March 2018, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvvc View Post
On the 14th & 15th of April 2018 the MRD – Maritime Radio Day event is being held.

For more information see:-
http://www.mrd.seefunker.eu/mrd_history.php

I will be operating GB0GLV like I did last year. Hope to work some of you!
No activity from GB2GKR this year I'm afraid. I have to be in Dublin that weekend, family duties, three-line whip!!!
Old 25th March 2018, 11:58

Sorry to hear you won't be on Bob but as you say if it's a three-line whip what can you do !!! At least you'll have the Guinness...

Maybe work you next year.

73's
Old 6th April 2018, 00:38
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1978 - 1991

ZM50GW remembering Wahine ZMGW

Throughout April 2018, ZM50GW is on air from Auckland, marking the 50th anniversary of the sinking of TEV Wahine ZMGW.

Operations are CW and SSB on 80, 40 and 20 metres. Check DX clusters for latest frequencies.

This is the first in a series of 3 special event stations marking maritime tragedies of 1968.

Details, including QSL info for ZM50GW are at maritimeradio.org/zm50gw
Old 18th July 2018, 18:41
Active: 1976 - Present

Still 2 weeks of operation left for the GKA 90th Anniversary Stations:
GB0GKA from nr Tiverton, operated by Tony/G3ZRJ
GB0GKB from Burnham on Sea, operated by Larry/G4HLN
GB0GKC from Weston super Mare, operated by Pete/G3TJE.
All ex-GKA R/Os.
Nearly 1000 QSOs between all stations made already, including many ex-R/Os and a couple of /MM stations. Further information on the qrz.com page under each callsign.
Larry +