Sources of information for ships research - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
04:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sources of information for ships research

User Tag List

Old 27th February 2010, 22:11
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
at the moment this site is free--BUT as of the 20-jan-2010(so i`m told)it will cost $20 for a year
I'm surprised it has been FoC for so long ! A very worthwhile 20USD in my view, as good value as SN
Old 6th March 2010, 12:08

for U.S. WWII shipping research

Here is the location for two pieces I wrote/published focusing on available resources for U.S. shipping in WWII:

“Researching World War II Era Seamen.” Rootsweb and Mariners-L. December 1999 http://archives.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-11/0941658172

“Have Ship, Need Information: How to Research the History of a World War II Era [email protected] The American Merchant Marine Veterans News. Number 3 (Autumn, 1996) pp. 27-29. Reprinted in The Pointer [U.S. Navy Armed Guard WWII Veterans Magazine] (November/December, 1996) pp. 11-12. Text with hyperlinks also found at
[http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/1965/vessinfo.htm] Webmaster: Greg Hayden.

I have been slowly working on a "biography" of the S.S. SANTA MARGARITA, a C2-S-B1 freighter launched in mid 1942 and scrapped in 1970. I am combining her footprint in the reocrds with first hand accounts and recollections of her crews, passengers and of individuals who sailed in the same convoys or who called at the same ports at the same time.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:52

Hi Brian

I would like to submit a few links for the directory

First up My own Irish Site Wrecks Data Base.
The material for the site has been obtained from original sources such as Admiralty and Board of Trade Wreck Returns, The Life Boat Journal, Lloyd's List and contemporary newspapers.
Irish Site Wrecks Data Base

The Clip Project crewlist.org.uk
This one has been listed before but its such a great free resource I have to mention it again.
The Clip Project have now included the Mercantile Navy Lists, the 1857 and 1860 are complete
and transcribers are working on 1870 - 1880 - 1890.
The Clip Project

Wreck Site.
A lot of free information here but subscription is required to view charts. I have been a member for two years and its well worth the 25euro fee.
The wreck site is the world largest online wreck database, has 77.000 wrecks and 75.360 positions, 9.240 images, 514 maritime charts, 10.940 ship owners and builders and a lot more...
The Wreck Site.

Convoy Web this may have been mentioned before, The Website for Merchant Ships during WW2
Convoy Web

A Small Library Of Maritime Interest
The material here originated from G-Books and The Open Library. but may not be available in UK or Ireland from its original sources.
Wreckmaster On Scribd

Mick
Old 7th March 2010, 14:46

My location
Thanks for the continuing contributions.

I will update the links page as soon as I have a little time. I do a load of them in a batch as this is quicker.

Please keep them coming - there have been some really useful ones added.
Old 13th March 2010, 19:50

Danish shipping registers, 1869-2002

http://www.sbib.dk/skibslister.htm
Old 8th June 2010, 23:56
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

The Hull History Centre recently opened and has a decent maritime section and may be of use to SN members.I have not visited yet,just looked at the web site but the building looks good and it seems there is a lot of info in there for Hull and East Yorkshire maritime history.

www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/
Old 17th July 2010, 21:13

Smile restoration

www.worldshiptrust.org/save
http.//www.yavari.org

two very interesting sites about ship preservation

albatross 1923
Old 17th July 2010, 21:32
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1969

Lots of photos here but no info.

http://www.photoship.co.uk/Browse%20Ship%20Galleries/
Old 31st August 2010, 12:25
Active: 1974 - 2017

http://www.bpears.org.uk/NE-Diary/index.html

History of the North East during the war with lots of shipping casualty details, very sad.
Old 30th October 2010, 22:19
Organisation: RNLI
Department: Deck
Active: 1927 - 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvingman View Post
This Maritime museum in Halifax Nova Scotia did some searches for me on Canadian Shipping. Took a couple of weeks but they came back with all the names, dates etc on most of the vessels I asked for ..........and it was free!!

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/index.html
Thanks Brian for coming up with this thread, the more info on available sources the better. For a thirty day trial period Ancestry.com ran a freebie access to US immigration records. I checked up on a previous master I had sailed with and found that on a visit to New York as second mate he was recorded as having tattoos. It gave me a smile as when I sailed with him he was a pillar of rightousness and never shirtless. Unfortunately a payment is required for access now, worth it probably for a keen researcher.
Old 11th November 2010, 15:29

My location
Useful site

Hi guys
I am well aware the following is listed in the nautical website area but like many I had not found my way to it until I actually started reading posts within this thread. To make it easy just click the following link and navigate down to the shipping companies section where you will find details of lots of the ships you are probably looking for.

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/
Old 21st November 2010, 03:16

R.m.s. Queen Mary Plans

Great to find this forum! I am researching RMS QUEEN MARY and am looking to obtain copies of her original ship plans. Specifically, I'm looking for her shell plate expansion plan, docking plan and general arrangement plans. I have heard that they are at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich. Has anyone had success obtaining good copies of these plans or ones like it through this source? Would the University in Glasgow also be considered a source for these plans. Any help greatly appreciated.

Joe
Old 21st November 2010, 06:45
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Welcome aboard Joe, get yourself around a bit and enjoy the trip.

Every time I see, "shell expansion", written down I get cold shivers. I used to mend shipa in Rotterdam and if the shell expansion came out of the drewer then there was a big job on the cards, if it was an OBO or a VLOOC then the explosion risk started to climb as well. My hair is silver white these days........
Old 29th November 2010, 14:08
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1952

Lloyds Register of shipping

Can anyone advise if there is a website where I could obtain info on s.s Darius for 1910/1911beleive she was classed with LLoyds.

Last edited by teb; 30th November 2010 at 03:24..
Old 29th November 2010, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieboy View Post
Welcome aboard Joe, get yourself around a bit and enjoy the trip.

Every time I see, "shell expansion", written down I get cold shivers. I used to mend shipa in Rotterdam and if the shell expansion came out of the drewer then there was a big job on the cards, if it was an OBO or a VLOOC then the explosion risk started to climb as well. My hair is silver white these days........
Billieboy,

Thanks for the greeting. You're absolutely correct when that question is asked. I'm curious as to her shell plate size for the underwater portion of the hull. I did find that the University in Glasgow repsonded with all of their plans and data/specification books. A huge leap forward.

Keep your hair, I use Greecian Formula!

Joe
Old 9th December 2010, 11:20
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Just found this site:

http://stevesmaritime.com/award1.html

Gives a list of sites in various countries that have been found useful by the site owner.

Plenty to dig at here - perhaps the site owners might like to apply for an award and listing for SN?

Duncan

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 8th February 2011, 13:20

Plimsollshipdata off line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjroots View Post
The Plimsoll Ship Data website is useful for those ships active between 1930 and 1945. It has scans of Lloyds Register entries.
http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/
The invaluable Plimsollshipdata seems to have gone off-line in last few days.

Anyone know about this?

David
Old 4th March 2011, 02:19
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1974 - 1990

Warship Info

Found on "Scribd" not sure if this belongs here but here its anyway

http://www.scribd.com/doc/35206666/Ship-Call-Signs

Shows Callsign - Name - Designation - Side Number - Country Code and Branch of Service

Further on it breaks it down by country
Old 31st May 2011, 12:10

WikiProject ships on Wikipedia maintain a sources page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped..._Ships/Sources

Members of this forum are welcome to join Wikipedia or improve articles - you don't have to become a member to edit Wikipedia, although there are advantages in doing so. The biggest things to remember are "no original research" (i.e. reminiscences) and to state your source for any info added. Don't be afraid to have a go, it isn't that hard to learn the markup language, but plain text is fine, as another editor will probably see to the fine tuning. I'm an admin on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mjroots and can be reached there via my talk page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Mjroots - just leave a message in the "New messages" section at the bottom of the page. I'll move it myself in due course.
Old 17th May 2012, 21:38

ronv

First post on these forums.My surname is Venus and at least one of my ancestors sailed to/from South Shields in the 1850's.Voyage record shows Fort Augustus.Shields Out and Home in 1854.Is the Fort Augustus part a ship's name or a port in Scotland?Apologies if this is a silly or naive question!!
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:06

I use to research a ship history in this way:
1) Shipyard archives - construction data, dates, trials, trial speed, delivery status etc. Shipyard archives can also be stored at local state archives and regional offices of a government or a privatly organised archive foundation etc.
2) Shipping company archived documentation (the same as undr "1").
3) Literature on the shipbuilder, shipyard group, shipowner - also in other languages than you yourself may be able to read - very important source!
4) Classification register books and archives at the classification society: DNV, RINA, LR, BV, RS and others.
5) State and government authorities: archives and files over the ship under this flag authority, National Maritime Inspections and authority etc.
6) Museums and maritime institutions. Also port authorities, ports archives have a lot of information.
7) Private organizations, maritime and enthusiasts' societies and clubs etc.
8) Internet searches.
9) Other valuable sources of information, like private persons and individuals with a good knowledge of the ship, shipping company and its surroundings where it used to operate.
ADVICE: be prepared to yourself go to this archived sources and search yourself. It is not sure that the local staff will work for you and your private aims in the subject, and maybe not for free. Try to send correspondance in the local used language used at the place, with help from others. In Europe many local archives and staff may not use english at all. German is very common in Central Europe, as Russian and French, Italian and Spanish and also Portuguese must often be used in western and southern Europe. Russian is often the only workable language inside Russia and the former USSR at local authorities and archives. In Scandinavia (Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Iceland as well as the Baltic Estonia) the English language works very well.

Hope this will help a bit forward,
J de Nauclér
researcher
Sweden
Old 24th June 2012, 10:43
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

Adelaide's Christine Courtney runs "Sea-Witch Images" down at Port Adelaide in South Australia. She says she has more that 100,000 shipping related images but she doesn't have a website, so you have to go down to the Port to view them. However I'm not sure how you would find what you were looking for unless they were indexed and searchable.

Christine authored the book:
"The Adelaide Steamship Company Ltd: A Nostalgic Voyage" (ISBN 9780646547176),
and was co-author of:
“Tales from a Commodious Harbour” (ISBN 0646420585)

Christine can be contacted via email at [email protected]
or by phone on +618 8447 5000
Old 1st May 2013, 15:41
Department: Fishing

Question Information on the cost of steam ships in 1919 needed

I have written an article about Joshua Cockburn the first Black Star Line Captain. It can be viewed at Thomas-Quirk.com.

For my next article I need to know what the average cost of a British registered steam ship was in 1919. Specifically a tramp steamer, which I assume would be the cheapest one could buy.

How and where can I find such information? Cockburn is remembered as a poor captain who cheated The Black Star Line. I believe that he was not as bad (and perhaps quite good). The main rap on him is that he received a commission for his arrangement of the purchase of The S.S.Yarmouth for Black Star for an inflated price. It seems to me that a commission arranged by a broker is not necessarily unfair.
Old 18th August 2013, 00:20
Active: 1955 - 1990

Steam Tug Rattler

hi, my name is John and I served my apprenticeship as a Fitter/turner in ship repair work in Liverpool. Doing my family history I have discovered my G,Grandfather was a Master of the steam tug Rattler on the Mersey and involved in the rescue, and loss of life of the crew of the sailing ship Ellen Southard in Sept. 1875. (see Wikipedia). Has anyone any information on the Rattler, tonnage, propulsion, owners, etc?? A news paper report for Aug. 1890 has her being in collision in Royal Abert dock and sinking. Any info. would be hugely welcome.
Old 13th January 2014, 06:42
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1960 - 1976

re Post # 52 "[http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/1965/vessinfo.htm] Webmaster: Greg Hayden."

Now resides at:

http://www.reocities.com/TheTropics/1965/vessinfo.htm

Greg Hayden