"Bandar Shahpour" Seychelles 1943 - Ships Nostalgia
07:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

"Bandar Shahpour" Seychelles 1943

User Tag List

Old 27th January 2014, 16:15

"Bandar Shahpour" Seychelles 1943

I'm researching the last voyage of "Bandar Shahpour" (Strick Line). My dad was a DEMS gunner on board. They sailed from Bombay to Marmagoa (docked 4 days), Kilindini (1 or2 days), Mahe in the Seychelles(10 days), Capetown (1 day), Takoradi (11 days) before being torpedoed by U515 off Freetown (Convoy TS37) on 30th April 1943. They had a cargo of manganese ore, oil seeds, copra, rubber and general. I assume they would have loaded the manganese at Marmagoa ? My questions are, what would they have been loading at Mahe ? They were there for 10 days - 5th to 15th March 1943, and what would they have loaded at Takoradi ? Maybe they were just waiting there for the convoy to be assembled ?

I'd be grateful for any assistance.

Chris Anderson

Last edited by Chris G Anderson; 27th January 2014 at 16:25.. Reason: to add info
Old 27th January 2014, 16:55
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Hi Chris ; My guess is that they loaded copra in Mahe . And perhaps oil seeds in Takoradi .
Having visited Mahe while at sea with Brocklebanks we unloaded there but don't recollect ever loading on our way to India .
The main export from the Seychelles in the 60s / 70s was Copra and Shark Meat which was transported mainly to East Africa by local small shipping company owned by a family called Adams .
Old 17th June 2019, 21:08

Hi Chris Please contact me re Seychelles Updates

[email protected]