Female Radio Officers - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
09:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Female Radio Officers

User Tag List

Old 15th January 2007, 17:25

Member Knut mentions Fern Blodgett of the Mosdale. On the warsailors.com site, on the end of their article on the Mosdale, there's a list of twenty other female Canadian sparks serving in the Norwegian war fleet.
Sometime ago I read a bit of the memoirs of one of them, and I believe myself to remember reading that this was arranged from above, the war ministry here or there finding this a good idea. Anyway, many married Norwegians, and many kept serving in Norwegian ships after the war. Stein.
Old 15th January 2007, 21:46

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Thanks Grifmar, I never heard of Dianne, but I'm sure she was eminently competent, as were all the ex Launceston radio students I met.

I don't recall Heather telling me of any union problems about getting a job - apart from CSR and the Union Company, as far as I know, everyone was employed by AWA (radio company). There was no union roster employment as run by the Seamen's Union of Austalia.

When I arrived in the Lucky Country (1980), I applied for a job with AWA. I already had 13 years experience and was fully qualified, but still had to sit written technical knowledge tests about radio and radar equipment. I was offered a job and flown back to Brisbane First Class - I remember thinking: "I heard these bastards were spoiled to death."

A few days later, while waiting for appointment to a ship, I got a heavy duty phone call from Mal Pickstone of the PREIA (Professional Radio and Electronics Institute of Australia) telling me I couldn't work for AWA as there were already people in Australia qualified and waiting for a job. If this was true, I don't know why they didn't already have jobs, but, in any case, I'd already payed money and joined the PREIA so eat **** Mal, you fat bastard!

Eventually, when the writing was on the wall, the PREIA amalgamated with the mates' union, the Merchant Service Guild, sold the ROs down the river and the rest is history.

John T.
Ahoy John
Yes that Mal sounds like the "coloured chap in the woodpile". Di only ever worked on "Energy Searcher", and then worked with the Australian Antartic Division. I think she was on "ES" about 18 months. She is now an IT whizz and lives in the Brisbane area. I well remember the amalgamation of the PREIA and the MSG. Like you say the rest is history and GMDSS.
Old 25th January 2007, 21:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1968 - 1984

I did my ticket at Newport & Monmouthshire College of Technology starting in 1966 and we had a Russian lady with us for the first year, but I recall she dropped out for (I think) financial reasons. P&O Bulk Shipping Division had at least two female R/O's in the mid/late 1970's. One was called Debbie something and did at least one voyage in Ardmay. Another married a 2nd engineer and did a trip in Ardvar - I took over from her in Ras Al Kaimah in May 1976, but I'm damned if I can remember her name now!
Old 26th April 2008, 18:03

Debbie Rex and Kit Kosarew. I also had a female junior under me (ahem!) on the Talamba in 1975/6 - Gail Courtney, though she didn't stick around for one reason or another.
Old 26th April 2008, 18:24

There was a female R/O sailed with Christian Salvesens,her name escapes me now & so did she.Kenny.

Last edited by Riptide; 26th April 2008 at 18:26..
Old 30th April 2008, 18:18

My location
I studied for the MRGC at Lowestoft College. On the same course was Rose King who is still at sea, and writes excellent articles in the ROA magazine.
Old 30th April 2008, 18:30

Hi Geoff........ I also recall a lady sparks called Barbara Padfield. I was fortunate enough to attend a survival course in Lowestoft with both Barbara and Sylvia. The pool huddle was indeed exilerating as I remember.

Regards,

Ray
Old 30th April 2008, 18:42

Ray, "Padfield" is a famous name in RO circles. Stan Padfield was the Staff Clerk at Marconi's West Ham depot - could Barbara have been a relative?

John T.
Old 30th April 2008, 21:14

Barbara Padfield was one of my students on the RO course at Southampton College of Higher Education ( now Southampton Solent University). This would be around 1974-1976 I think. After leaving the sea ( RO with Brocks - Radio and Electronic Services), I got a teaching job at Leith Nautical College ( now gone) and then transferred to Southampton. I remember Barbara as a truly pleasant person who was a conscientious student who did well. I also have a memory that she was originally a WREN at Pompey. Another female RO training at Southampton a year or two later was Carol Greenwood.
Old 30th April 2008, 22:40
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Ray, "Padfield" is a famous name in RO circles. Stan Padfield was the Staff Clerk at Marconi's West Ham depot - could Barbara have been a relative?

John T.
John,

It was East Ham depot (Wakefield Street, East Ham) and you may be surprised to know that Stan Padfield is still alive and well (but no longer sending R/Os on 2-year jaunts).

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 1st May 2008, 00:30

Thanks Ron, I get "port" and "starboard" mixed up too - Good to hear that Stan is keeping OK.

John T.
Old 5th June 2008, 08:53
Active: 1966 - 2007

I talked with Dallas Bradshaw on vhf back in Nov '72 or Jun '73, I believe, when our ships were anchored off either Baie Comeau or Trois Rivieres in the St Lawrence. She was with a British company and I with Sanko Line.

I relieved Penny Hayworth, a fellow Canadian sparks on the Sanko car/bulker Ogden Jordan/A8IP on Jan 31 '81. She is presently employed as an MCTS officer with the Canadian Coast Guard, (Marine Comm & Traffic Services - combined radio and marine traffic regulator) a job I just retired from, after doing 3 years in a remote site (Bull Harbour CG Radio/VAG) and 19 summers in the arctic at Inuvik CG Radio/VFA.

Brian
Old 5th July 2008, 06:48

Hello. I am a new member, Marilyn Egerton. I am also seeking information on Angela Firman. I have a photo in my possession of her which was published in the Leeds Newspaper sometime in the 1960's I think. If you can help with more information I would be grateful.

Marilyn Egerton
Old 5th July 2008, 08:09
Active: 1956 - 1986

My location
We had a female RO in Sealink called Barbara Ralph - she was of Australian origin and I think she had been in P&O where she married a captain.

Rose King is a member of SN.

Ted
Old 5th July 2008, 11:32
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoss View Post
We had a female RO in Sealink called Barbara Ralph - she was of Australian origin and I think she had been in P&O where she married a captain.

Rose King is a member of SN.

I knew Barbara (nee Keating) at the British School of Telegraphy in Earls Court in 1969/1970.

She is still married and residing in the Bournemouth area.

Steve.
Old 5th July 2008, 16:59
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Marilyn and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.
Old 6th July 2008, 02:29

Angela Firman

[Great to read your info on Angela Firman. My late grandfather I think was Angela's great uncle. I believe her father was chief Engineer James G. Firman who was killed on 23 February 1941 on the S.S. Marslew (London)
Great to find this website - it has taken me many years to finally find out about the person I have a photo of.

Marilyn Egerton

QUOTE=Barmyclaresdad;53815]In reply to the post by Cynter, the lady in question was Angela Firman who I knew quite well. Her father was a Ch. Off. and mother a stewardess on Scandinavian ships.
On one of my trips to Hamburg in 1963 I missed her by a day. The last time I saw her would be at Bridlington in 1959.
I believe she married a Norwegian guy and sailed on Norske ships for a while.
NESWT also have a web site and association.[/QUOTE]
Old 6th July 2008, 08:05
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Egerton View Post
Great to read your info on Angela Firman. My late grandfather I think was Angela's great uncle. I believe her father was chief Engineer James G. Firman who was killed on 23 February 1941 on the S.S. Marslew (London)
Great to find this website - it has taken me many years to finally find out about the person I have a photo of.

Marilyn Egerton
Marilyn,
It is good to see that you have found such a useful response to your query. A warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course.

Mark
Old 30th July 2008, 22:42

There is also Rowena Smith who was at GND for a long time when I was there, she then left for GCHQ in the late 80's early 90"s
Old 30th July 2008, 23:09

My location
Jocelyn Parker with Texaco in 1975.
I joined the Texaco Norway in November 1975 and she'd gone from the Denmark when I QSO'd in January 1976.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Texaco news 1975 - 001s.jpg (254.2 KB, 94 views)
Old 31st July 2008, 10:35
Active: 1966 - 1987

Good to read that, thanks Kris. Its heartening to know Jocelyn was so happy at sea.

I was just wondering from a equality point of view, if Jocelyn got married would there be an arguing point of allowing her to bring her husband along on a trip??

Also where are all these ex female r/o's, it would be good to hear about their sea-going expeiences on SN.

Mike
Old 31st July 2008, 13:46
Super Moderator
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
I have not previously been involved in this thread. It was seeing a name from the past, another of my ex colleagues - Ian Spiden, mentioning Rowena that did it. We had quite a number of female RO's in the service. I think that all were at GKA with the exception of Rowena who was at GND. A couple married other RO's. To my knowledge some are still active in GCHQ. One is in the CG stationed at Bridlington/Humber CG. A couple took to being housewives and that is not a derogative comment. There were 4 who were at GKA for a longtime. Others moved on to other things.

Hawkey01
Old 31st July 2008, 14:50

My location
Hiya, Hawkeye:

At GKR, there was also the delectable Kathy plus one other whose name I am ashamed to say I've forgotten. I was also told of another at GNI whose name I don't remember but whose nickname was Pizza (cos her name sounded like...). I believe that she was easily startled, and the story goes that one night after the evening shift, the guys at GNI put a handheld under the seat of her mini (the car!) and watched the car set off down the road. After a few seconds, they called her on VHF and watched the headlights swerve!
Old 31st July 2008, 16:48

There is also Marie Johnson , who was out on the rigs in the North Sea originally from around Fraserborough then went to HAL as a Comms Officer , she left a few years ago and I heard sadly that she died in rather tragic circumstances in South Africa
Old 31st July 2008, 16:55
Super Moderator
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Bill,Ian

This activates the grey cells. The one at GNI X GKA was Piarina Delpizzo think thats the spelling. She is now in Bedford according to the GKA members list. I had forgotten about the delightful one at GKR. Will have to have a count and see how many we actual had! In service that is - no that will be taken the wrong way as well. Working with us, thats better.

Neville - Hawkey01