Hello from WV - Ships Nostalgia
20:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hello from WV

User Tag List

Old 5th December 2018, 21:37

Hello from WV

Hi,
My name is Robert Knarr. I was born in Texas and have 2 siblings. My mom is a retired teacher and my step dad was a WV Division of Natural Resources officer. My step dad past away about 5 years ago. My step dad's mom moved back to WV to retire after her husband past away and so we followed in her footsteps to WV. After my step dad past away, my mom decided to sell her house and moved in with me in Morgantown, WV. My step dad had a lot of interests and we had a lot of work ahead of us to clean out the house, 3 car garage, hay barn and a back building packed to the brim. In the hay barn, I found an item that I thought might either be a vintage pointed harpoon or a vintage pointed anchor. However, I just can not reason to myself why someone would have a vintage pointed anchor to stick in the mud once it hits the bottom of a body of water. Now, my brother in law thinks it might be a plow. I could not figure out which forum topic to start my second thread after this one in. It was nice to give you some history and hope someone can help me to figure out which forum topic to pick to address the forementioned item. I have already taken pictures and taken dimensions. Thank you all for the advice and sharing your thoughts with me.
Old 6th December 2018, 05:07
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 1973

Tie it to a horse Robert. If the horse can walk away its a Plough; If it can't its an Anchor.
Old 6th December 2018, 08:31
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Welcome onboard Robert, enjoy the site.
If you post some photos of the "item" it would help.

Cheers Frank
Old 6th December 2018, 13:13
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1977

Robert, lets have a photo and if it is a harpoon I should be able to tell you something about it. I volunteer at the New Bedford Whaling Museum here in Massachusetts.
Old 6th December 2018, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor View Post
Robert, lets have a photo and if it is a harpoon I should be able to tell you something about it. I volunteer at the New Bedford Whaling Museum here in Massachusetts.
My problem is that I do not know which topic under this forum to place a new thread to. I hoped someone will be able to steer me to the proper topic.
Robert
Old 6th December 2018, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
Welcome onboard Robert, enjoy the site.
If you post some photos of the "item" it would help.

Cheers Frank
My problem is that I do not know which topic under this forum to place a new thread to. I hoped someone will be able to steer me to the proper topic.
Robert