Arthur Salmon crossed the bar - Ships Nostalgia
17:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Arthur Salmon crossed the bar

User Tag List

Old 1st February 2020, 14:21

My location
Arthur Salmon crossed the bar

This reposted from the BP shipping group on facebook

Posted by Keith Hooton

I heard recently that sadly Arthur Salmon (ex BP Chief engineer) passed away on the 4th Jan following a heart attack.

His funeral was on the 27th Jan which was a lovely service with some humour thrown in and plenty in attendance. Some were outside and the service was relayed on the PA RIP Arthur a very nice guy.
Old 1st February 2020, 22:13
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

I sailed with Arthur on the Resolution, think 82 or 83. Smashing bloke sad to hear he has passed away. Arthur Skellern was OM, Lenny (mines a Bacardi) Blair (sic) chief steward, remember 2nd mate Hugh Gallagher (think) Bernie Bullen Chief Cook, Colin McGloughlin 2nd Cook, Tony Richardson 2nd Steward.
Good crowd on there, we did a whole trip including a cape crawl without a run ashore.
Old 8th February 2020, 00:58
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

I was never in touch with Arthur Salmon though in 2012 (Chris D'Q) I was given his email address but unfortunately he never replied.

Arthur Salmon is listed at #2653 on my listing of BP Marine Engineering Apprentices. He was a 1957 intake and spent his first two years at Bolton Technical College finishing his apprenticeship in early 1962. I have a note that he spent 1959/60 of his apprenticeship at Lord Line in Hull, I have no idea what he did there.

The following is some of his career with BP Tanker Co and BP Shipping:

Consul EA 7/60, Second Class Motor Cert 1965, Laurel2E 8/69, Cormorant 2E 1970, Gull 2E 3/72, Ensign 3E 3/72(Chief's seatime?), Resolution CE 9/84,5/85. retired early 2000.

There are many major gaps there, with research some may be filled in.

Graham
Old 8th February 2020, 07:47

Oh Jeezus that’s another legend away, an absolute top quality engineer and all round good guy.

Damn that's quite taken me aback, but I suppose you forget how fast the years pass sometimes
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 8th February 2020, 23:27
Active: 1960 - 2000

Joe Pyne

So sad to hear that Arthur had died. We sailed together in 74 on Unity. I was C/E and he was 2/E--many a good laugh and hard work.
RIP

Joe
Old 9th February 2020, 14:53
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1989

Graham
FYI Lord Line of Hull was one of the major trawling companies out of hull, no doubt doing his apprenticeship by repairing their trawlers between trips. Plenty of steam trawlers in those days.
Old 10th February 2020, 16:44

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
I was never in touch with Arthur Salmon though in 2012 (Chris D'Q) I was given his email address but unfortunately he never replied.

Arthur Salmon is listed at #2653 on my listing of BP Marine Engineering Apprentices. He was a 1957 intake and spent his first two years at Bolton Technical College finishing his apprenticeship in early 1962. I have a note that he spent 1959/60 of his apprenticeship at Lord Line in Hull, I have no idea what he did there.

The following is some of his career with BP Tanker Co and BP Shipping:

Consul EA 7/60, Second Class Motor Cert 1965, Laurel2E 8/69, Cormorant 2E 1970, Gull 2E 3/72, Ensign 3E 3/72(Chief's seatime?), Resolution CE 9/84,5/85. retired early 2000.

There are many major gaps there, with research some may be filled in.

Graham
Yes Graham, Arthur was on the Ensign for steam endorsement time, as I was the second on there then, without a steam first class ticket (mine was passed March 76). But the date would have been 73 or 74 though, as I joined the Ensign on Sept 73 and left in Jan 74.

He was indeed a very fine engineer, and once he instructed me to 'just put a broom up my ****, and I will sweep the deck as well". As I had tried to take advantage of him, and give him one job too many! One always recognises the very best people, and unconsciously try to use them too much. Lesson learned.

I next met him off Brunei (84 to 86), and insulted him by miss-remembering that he followed City, not United, that he indeed followed- Manchester that is.
Old 12th February 2020, 18:36
Active: 1968 - 1986

I sailed twice with Arthur, once on an R boat (Resolution?) and again at Labuan. He was the best C/E I had, unflappable.
One of my memories having a confidential report done on the deck of the Cedros at Labuan with food from the Gull thrown in. Happy days.
Old 14th February 2020, 14:22
Active: 1964 - 1996

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rogers View Post
Graham
FYI Lord Line of Hull was one of the major trawling companies out of hull, no doubt doing his apprenticeship by repairing their trawlers between trips. Plenty of steam trawlers in those days.
Part of the Cadetship required 6 months experience in heavy industry. I did mine with Kingston Steam Trawlers in Hull and would have been similar to that at Lord Line. Work consisted assisting fitters with ER maintenance, mainly Triple Expansion Steam Reciprocating and Scotch Boilers, although there was also some diesel engine work. Incidentally my father was R/O with Lord Line and I did one trip with him when I was 13 or 14 to Iceland on "Lord Rowallan". Also, when I started at Kingston's, the first trawler I worked on was that of my girlfriend's (now wife's) father who was Chief Engineer.