Iron Ore into South Wales - Ships Nostalgia
16:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Iron Ore into South Wales

User Tag List

Old 23rd January 2020, 17:26

Iron Ore into South Wales

Back in the 60's when I was on Common Bros' Ore carriers we occasionally discharged in South Wales. Newport, with the cargo destined for Llanwern steel works and Roath Dock in Cardiff which I was told the cargo was destined for Poet Talbot, there was insufficient depth to discharge at that steel works. I recently saw an episode of 'Coast' and there was a very large bulker alongside. Was I misinformed back in the day or has Port Talbot since been deepened?
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:37

My location
On the S.S. Linaria we docked quite often in Port Talbot with ore from Wabana. If I remember correctly our draught was about 33ft
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:09

Ted, Port Talbot can accommodate Cape Size vessels, that is up to 170,000 tonnes deadweight with max draft 16 metres.

regards
Dave
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot mac View Post
Ted, Port Talbot can accommodate Cape Size vessels, that is up to 170,000 tonnes deadweight with max draft 16 metres.

regards
Dave
Thanks Oceantramp & Pilot Mac, But what about the position in the early 60's?
Old 23rd January 2020, 19:32

My location
In the '60's we ( in the Denholm ore carriers ) used to discharge at Margam steel works inside the locks. Ore is now discharged at the "new " facility outside the locks.
Old 23rd January 2020, 21:15

In 1969/70 when I was on the Orotava Bridge 54,000, we spent several days with the pilots training them on the new deepened facilities there.
Old 24th January 2020, 08:54

Ted,
major works during 1970's saw the creation of the deepwater berths.
The enclosed dock current parameters are max LOA 130mtrs, beam 17.7mtrs with max draft 7.7mtrs (25'3"). Whilst I cant say for sure, in all probability this would have been the max parameters for the 1960's

regards
Dave
Old 31st January 2020, 13:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 1973

Smile iron ore into south wales

G'day Ted, Port Talbot was deepened in the late sixties as I worked there helping to instal the boom stacker and the bucket wheel to lift the iron ore to go to the steel works. The first boat in to test clearances and safe operations was the Forth Bridge and a good friend of mine, Kenny Thurston was one of the engineers. I joined Welsh Ore Carriers out of Newport shortly after on the Welsh Herald but we only docked at Newport or Cardiff while I was with them.
Old 2nd February 2020, 14:53

Thanks ebbwjunc, does that mean my original assumption correct that Roath Dock discharge was destined for Port Talbot?
From your posting name, am I right in thinking you are an Ebbw Vale lad?
Regards
Old 11th February 2020, 13:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 1973

G'day Ted, sorry for the delay in replying. Roath dock I believe supplied both Port Talbot, until the new deepwater berth was commissioned and Llanwern. I am not an Ebbw Vale lad although I worked around there but a Pontypool lad. I served my time at Ebbw junction loco shop with British Railways (Western Region).
Old 14th February 2020, 12:51

Hi, thanks for clearing up my Roath Dock query. I asked about Ebbw Vale as I ran a factory on the Rassau Estate in the 80's and thought we might have had a few common contacts.Thanks again for your help.
Regards