Saturday pub lunch - Ships Nostalgia
16:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Saturday pub lunch

User Tag List

Old 9th September 2014, 02:06

Saturday pub lunch

I'm trying to replicate one particular dish that was served every Saturday afternoon onboard the Masirah by the wonderful Indian crew in the very late 70s .. Early 80s
From my recollection it consisted of a chapati wrapped around a sort of beef madras filling .. Similar to a wrap in modern terms ?
Does this description jog anyone's memory or in fact any other Indian pub lunch dish that's slipped my memory !
By the way , I have 800g of braising steak ready to go in the slow cooker pending a recipe !
Old 9th September 2014, 10:57

Sounds like beef jhal freeji
Old 9th September 2014, 11:04

Bon Appetit Saxonia
Old 10th September 2014, 19:39

I did a few trips with Indian crew and I believe bryanm is correct. the curry was wrapped in a paratha (Indian fried bread) not chapati. We also added condiments spring onions, tomato chutney, apple etc.
Recipe follows:

Beef Jalfrezi Recipe
(Medium/Hot Curry Indian Recipe)
Serves 4
Beef Jalfrezi Curry Recipe - Ingredients
800g lean steak beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
6 tbsp plain yoghurt
1 tsp turmeric
tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1” ginger, finely chopped
2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
2 green peppers, thinly sliced
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp sunflower oil
Few sprigs of coriander leaves
Salt to taste
Beef Jalfrezi Curry Recipe - Cooking Instructions
Mix the yoghurt, turmeric, chilli and lemon juice with the beef and leave to marinate. Heat the oil and gently fry the onions, garlic and ginger until the onions become soft and golden.
Add the beef with its marinade and cook for two minutes stirring frequently. Add the tomatoes and fry until the beef is almost cooked. Add the green peppers and garam masala and cook until peppers have softened.
Add salt and fresh coriander to taste.
Old 10th September 2014, 21:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrenville View Post
I did a few trips with Indian crew and I believe bryanm is correct. the curry was wrapped in a paratha (Indian fried bread) not chapati. We also added condiments spring onions, tomato chutney, apple etc.
Recipe follows:

Beef Jalfrezi Recipe
(Medium/Hot Curry Indian Recipe)
Serves 4
Beef Jalfrezi Curry Recipe - Ingredients
800g lean steak beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
6 tbsp plain yoghurt
1 tsp turmeric
tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 ginger, finely chopped
2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
2 green peppers, thinly sliced
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp sunflower oil
Few sprigs of coriander leaves
Salt to taste
Beef Jalfrezi Curry Recipe - Cooking Instructions
Mix the yoghurt, turmeric, chilli and lemon juice with the beef and leave to marinate. Heat the oil and gently fry the onions, garlic and ginger until the onions become soft and golden.
Add the beef with its marinade and cook for two minutes stirring frequently. Add the tomatoes and fry until the beef is almost cooked. Add the green peppers and garam masala and cook until peppers have softened.
Add salt and fresh coriander to taste.
That sounds much better than the minestrone cup-soup that I've just had.
Old 10th September 2014, 21:40
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
How can you do that to yourself?
Old 11th September 2014, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
I hate that cuppa-soup Minestrone - they fill it with bits of spaghetti and turn it into foreign muck. Real minestrone in Italy doesn't contain worms, seashells or letters of the alphabet, it is quite civilised and surprisingly delicious.

Having said that, you could do a lot worse than your cuppa-soup, Dicky .... pot noodles for instance.

John T
Old 11th September 2014, 06:26
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
I hate that cuppa-soup Minestrone - they fill it with bits of spaghetti and turn it into foreign muck. Real minestrone in Italy doesn't contain worms, seashells or letters of the alphabet, it is quite civilised and surprisingly delicious.

Having said that, you could do a lot worse than your cuppa-soup, Dicky .... pot noodles for instance.

John T
I bought some when touring Oz a few months ago. It was undrinkable. There was no meat or meat derived products in the meat flavoured ones though I can't remember the ingredients it seemed to be a mixture of chemicals. I think the brand was Continental or something. Brit ones at least "Bachelors" have natural ingredients, and with a couple of slices of wholemeal bread fill a hole before bed.
I do eat real food as well of course....sometimes.
Sorry , gone off subject.
Old 19th November 2019, 22:21
Department: Electrician
Active: 1966 - 1983

My location
Depending on which vessel you were on this meal was more commonly known as Saturday Afternoon Sleeping Pill, after having one of these that's all you wanted to do, I wish I had access to one now - internals would not allow.

Pensioner
Old 14th February 2020, 16:01

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanm View Post
Sounds like beef jhal freeji
Jalfreeji and Parathas - standard Brocklebank dish; I first encountered it on the Maskeliya. Became a regular for Pub-lunch on the tankers
Old 14th February 2020, 20:55
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R798780 View Post
Jalfreeji and Parathas - standard Brocklebank dish; I first encountered it on the Maskeliya. Became a regular for Pub-lunch on the tankers
As I recollect the tanker pub lunches were on a Sunday and usualy a
cold buffet . This was to give the galley crew the afternoon off . Les Hanna seems to be the one who started it on the tankers .
Saturday evening if a Movie night was often given with Fish and chips wrapped in newspaper ( sometimes the Liverpool Echo supplied by the Chief Steward if from Merseyside )
In the case of Mike Voisey Movie night was often "Scouse " which he made and was excellent .

Happy Days Derek
Old 14th February 2020, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
cold buffet . This was to give the galley crew the afternoon off . Les Hanna seems to be the one who started it on the tankers .
Saturday evening if a Movie night was often given with Fish and chips wrapped in newspaper ( sometimes the Liverpool Echo supplied by the Chief Steward if from Merseyside )
In the case of Mike Voisey Movie night was often "Scouse " which he made and was excellent .

Happy Days Derek
I sailed with Mike Voisey in the Nestor in 1960 when he was AB. He never showed any talent as a cook in those days, but he did know his way around working aloft. I was JOS and Mike showed me how to safely rig a bosun's chair while painting the columns (Sampson posts for non BF chaps) in Melbourne.
Old 15th February 2020, 16:27
Super Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
I sailed with Mike Voisey in the Nestor in 1960 when he was AB. He never showed any talent as a cook in those days, but he did know his way around working aloft. I was JOS and Mike showed me how to safely rig a bosun's chair while painting the columns (Sampson posts for non BF chaps) in Melbourne.
I first sailed with Mike in 1965 when he was Second purser steward with Brocklebanks . Pehaps not the same Mike ; he was an Everton fanatic . Cheers Derek
Old 15th February 2020, 16:53

If it was, then he changed direction after I was with him on the Nestor in 1960. But this Mike V, lived in the Broadgreen area of Liverpool, and was an Everton fan.So it could be the same guy I suppose
Old 15th February 2020, 18:16

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post

Happy Days Derek
The weekly (masters) inspection was moved from Sunday to Saturday - could be an overtime thing - and I imagine pub lunches followed suit.
Old 16th February 2020, 03:11
Super Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
If it was, then he changed direction after I was with him on the Nestor in 1960. But this Mike V, lived in the Broadgreen area of Liverpool, and was an Everton fan.So it could be the same guy I suppose
Yes Pat ; Mike might have gone to sea as an AB and then moved his direction ; probably the same guy . How small the world is . Derek