Ships Nostalgia banner

What Shipping Company?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  8575 
#1 ·
A recent book called "A Tramp for All Oceans" by Geoffrey Walker covers the author's seafaring days as Apprentice and Master, with a short bit about being Mate. In the book he mentions two ships he commanded but no clue as to who owned them. Try as I might I can find no information about the ships so wonder if any members can help?

One ship was called "Hoi Yun" and the other "Universal Venture". All I know is that both were owned by a Hong Kong company and traded mainly around the Far East. "Universal Venture" was a new-build from Sasebo in Japan and inaugurated a mainly container service from the Far East to Australia. The time scale would be late 1970s or early 1980s I think.

Any help - with photos if possible- would be gratefully received.

#3 ·
Waighty,

As a lot of Chinese/HK tonnage was second hand, Hoi Yun, I would imagine had a previous incarnation. No record in Miramar.

In Miramar the Universal Venture is as follows

Built 1972 by Nipponkai Toyama - Yard No162.
Cargo - Liberia.
9953 tons - 15929 Dwt.
L150m x B20.9m.
Single screw diesel - 15 kts.

Name Change:
1977 Hinglaj.

BU Gadani Beach 7.3.1995.

That fits your time scale.

Hawkey01

#4 ·
Thank you both for assistance with this. The Norwegian connection interests me as the author included photos of Scandinavian ships he obviously found pleasing to the eye; none of them were connected to the subject matter. EG "Kaethe Jebsen" and "Emma Jebsen".

Did Miramar mention which company owned "Universal Venture"? Of course it could have been a company who put the ship under a management company that the author worked for. In which case I wonder who they were?

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
My thanks to all and particularly to Yvon who has found details of the ships and the owner and manager. I have to assume then that the author worked for Wrangell & Co. Maybe I'll get in touch with the author at some point (via the publishers) and ask him! I've found a video of him 'selling' the book via an Australian site if anyone's interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.