Ships Nostalgia banner

N.E.S.W.T. Bridlington

17K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  sparks69 
#1 ·
I just trawled through the other colleges and noted that my old Radio college/school was absent so here we are. It will be interesting to see if we have any input. I know there are now a few of us on the site but there must be others lurking around who have not shown their faces.
The school at one time moved I think during the WW2 era to, I believe Ilkley. Some of my ex colleagues were trained there. Most have now crossed the bar. I was there until 1964 and we were the last full course to complete our tickets. Others like JT had to move to other places to complete their tickets. Notably Hull.
I have contact although now - my fault - on a not to regular basis with a few of my contemporaries. Sadly our Association ceased last year when Brian Priestley sadly crossed the bar.
My history is fairly well do***ented as I have made mention of Brid on many occasions and as many will know I was both seagoing and many years with GKA and the UK coast stations.

Neville - Hawkey01

#29 ·
Made a short nostalgic visit to Brid last weekend on our way home from Northumberland.
Found a few places that I remembered and the bulldozers had been in other areas.
The tower block they built back in the 60's has gone only to be replaced by a new one!
The town was to say the least very dirty and scruffy. The front is kept well.
Stayed in the Expanse hotel - over priced and in need of tlc which I believe it is getting. Great view from our bedroom though over the bay. Not one flattie or ship in sight on the horizon. Some wind turbines in the distance.
That will be my last visit - the magic has gone but the memories prevail.

Neville

#35 ·
I was there last summer - stayed at the Expanse - it used to be the best hotel in Brid but far from it these days. A big error! Also found the town very dirty, not like in the good old days of th 60's. Did not venture up Shaftesbury Road.

Neville

#37 · (Edited)
Sparks69,

I don't believe that. But in case the brain is having some trouble!
North Eastern School of Wireless Telegraphy.

Some of us still around - I do communicate with a couple. Taffy Hayes and Marcus VG Kelly. Occasional contact with Michael Taylor.

Also J.T the - INFAMOUS - Trotterdotpom.

Also some of my old colleagues at GKA were ex NESWT.

Neville

#39 ·
Sparks69,

Some of us still around, I am going to meet up with Taffy Hayes next Saturday. Only 56 years since we last met,
except on the key one time in the Caribbean. Not heard from MVGK recently - he is not too good at replying to
emails. Hoping he has not had a relapse with his health.

Neville