Ships Nostalgia banner

History of GKA Book

12K views 68 replies 21 participants last post by  Dimples82 
#1 ·
At long last my book about the history of GKA has been published and will be available for purchase in the next few weeks. Running to 320 pages, it contains details of the station's development from its beginnings at Devizes in 1920 to closure in 2000. The war years are covered in detail along with the expansion of the station in the 1940s and 1980s. Many recollections of staff and sea-going R/Os are included, along with a chapter describing life at the station. Many of the 'characters' are fondly remembered. Annexes with brief details of the associated transmitting and receiving stations are appended, as well as a history of the morse keys used at the station.

The book will retail at £9.99 and will be available from Amazon and other online retailers, and signed/dedicated copies will also be available via the GKA website as soon as they arrive. Postage and packing will need to be added for website orders but this price will be kept to a minimum.

As soon as I am able to take payment I will let everyone know.

Larry +

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Been advised this morning that the book is currently #1 in the Amazon Best-Selling Charts in the Telecommunications Genre - just on pre-orders. Waterstones are now stocking the book as well, again taking pre-orders. I am waiting for my own personal stock to arrive and then I will start taking orders for signed copies.

Larry +

#25 ·
I once sailed with a Captain who had a pad of Received Marconigram forms in his desk drawer.
He occasionally would type out a "received" message and leave it on his desk for the 2nd steward to read and hence start a rumour running.
After being advised by the 2nd steward one day that we had orders to discharge not in NW Europe but N America I had a chat with the mate who covertly removed the pad from the desk drawer and I locked all my forms away.
Nothing was ever mentioned .........

#28 ·
Postage and Packing rates for signed copies of the Portishead Radio/GKA history book have now been worked out.

In the UK the P&P will be £3.00 for 1 book, £4.50 for 2 books and £6.00 for 3 books. You can order through the link on the website:

https://portisheadradio.godaddysites.com/gka-book

P&P for Europe is £6.50, N and S America/Africa/Asia is £10 and Australia/NZ £11.00 for 1 book. Please contact me for prices for multiple copies.

The price of the book itself is £9.99 and copies are due to be received here by the end of next week. They will be sent out immediately after receipt.

Of course you will still be able to obtain the book through Amazon and other on-line retailers, athough these will not be signed.

Larry +

#37 ·
For those intending to order their book through the GKA website, there was a glitch which prevented overseas orders from applying the correct postage rate. Therefore I have removed the automatic link to PayPal to allow prospective purchasers to use the correct tariff.

Costs have not changed - just an extra step or two in the ordering process.

Thank you all for the astounding response - over 80 pre-orders via the website alone over the last 24 hours!

Larry +

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.