Ships Nostalgia banner

N.E.S.W.T. Bridlington

17K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  sparks69 
#1 ·
I just trawled through the other colleges and noted that my old Radio college/school was absent so here we are. It will be interesting to see if we have any input. I know there are now a few of us on the site but there must be others lurking around who have not shown their faces.
The school at one time moved I think during the WW2 era to, I believe Ilkley. Some of my ex colleagues were trained there. Most have now crossed the bar. I was there until 1964 and we were the last full course to complete our tickets. Others like JT had to move to other places to complete their tickets. Notably Hull.
I have contact although now - my fault - on a not to regular basis with a few of my contemporaries. Sadly our Association ceased last year when Brian Priestley sadly crossed the bar.
My history is fairly well do***ented as I have made mention of Brid on many occasions and as many will know I was both seagoing and many years with GKA and the UK coast stations.

Neville - Hawkey01

#31 · (Edited)
as a youngster catching the ledgarsds moorfield bus horsefoth to otley in the 50,s i recall on the bradford road out of otley the gpo monkeys training ground for telephone engineers [lotz of poles in the ground with umpteen felephone wires to interconnect above ground leve!].
I was a frequent visitor to otley swimming pool, hence the bus. Otley pool was gbe nearest unless one went into Leeds cookridge street.

#3 ·
JT,

Yes of course not Ilkely moor bah tat but Otley. Somewhere around Leeds I think. How they lost money always amazed me - especially with the fantastic food we were served up. Also the accommodation was not really up to Ritz standard! Still loved the place for all that.
Yes I have been up there in the last few years and I was amazed how little Brid had changed. Pedestrianised etc but that terrible skyscraper - 1960 style is still ruining the skyline around the Windsor Hotel/ harbour area. Thought it would have been demolished long since. Keep saying we will have another run up there but not this summer as not too long now before we decamp and head back south - with the swallows.

Neville - Hawkey01

#11 ·
Hello Taffy - welcome to SN. I replied to your post the other day but it doesn't seem to have registered.

Was the "Atlantic" the blue car? In my mind it was a Cortina. You drove three of us down to Grimsby to see the Tech when Brid was closing down. Sparks 69 (see above) was one of them and so was Graham Turner, now resident in NZ. I was the other.

Thanks for that and good to see you on the site.

John T

#12 ·
hi no the Atlantic was white with a red roof theres a photo on the NESWT site the cortina was blue Dicky learnt to drive and passed his test using it.Since I`ve cottoned on to the site finding a few things that wre lost to memory .Neville seems to have pulse and knows quite a few ex Brid lads you have also taken a graet interest and done some informative write ups .heres a few names I recall -Hardcastle-Hollis-Hopkins-Barny-Bruno-Jacko-Bird- Legg-Gunn- Phillips- Scotty- Bow- Kelly- Charlesworth- Don`t know if any ring a bell with you the staff I remember Clegg & wife-Maclaen-Palethorpe-then Lance the cook Mrs P & daughter.When Brid closed Mac gave me some of his old text books used to get on OK with him took him and his wife dfferent places now and again his saying " How high is a mouse when it spins ?" The higher the fewer. still can`t work it out never will.Don`t know if you remember the sailing dinghy Clegg bought for recreation ? Guz and myself had a bit of mishap in it but survived . soaked and scared. Theres some recollections of Brid happy days and were still going -best regards -Taff.

#19 ·
Hi Guys Jacko Balbar Singh aka Fred Mick Collinson Roger Brian Cliffe Marcus Victor Gratton Kelley ( courting Val Jones at the time) NPH Edwards Graham Wood Ho ho Bfo Legge David William Plant Ralph Hurrell Derek Pottern Peter Phantom Tom Forest(a Yank ) these are just a few of the guys I recall from NESWT days

#21 ·
Iansb,

I am at a loss to bring your name to mind. Giggies seem to ring a bell but that was Roger Cliff in that instant. You have certainly brought some other forgotten names to the memory bank. Don't know if you have ever visited the NESWT web site. I have a few photos on there with some of the old crew.
I had a meet up with MVGK back in June when we were staying over in Norfolk - a very enjoyable day and lots of chat.
He wished to be remembered to anyone who knows him and I do have his email if anyone wants it. Send me a PM and I will pass it on.
I do have communications with Taffy as well in fact I owe him an email as I do others JT included.

Neville

#22 ·
Hi Nev,
It's a small world and we're all getting older good to hear from you. I think you joined the same time as me RBCliffe Jacko Mick Collinson Derick Pottern etc I often think back to the good old days and they were.If you hear from Marcus ask him does he know what happened to his x girlfriend of those long ago days Val Jones she lived in Nelson Street I use to see him most nights as I had a girlfriend living in that street too Anyway old chap actually having a trip to Brid on Friday with the grandkids Never see any of the old boys although I did see Mick Taylor @ Leeds & Bradford Airport many years back over 15 he was on the rigs and was enroute to Aberdeen I was going to Madras via Heathrow never seen or heard of him since and I used that airport regularly for 25yrs or more! Another guy whose name springs to mind was Michael Barnfather I think he was from Leeds also. I recall another chap Chris Wright his father owned the Bridlington Queen I think he was a day boarder I understand Jacko married a Bridlington girl l cant recall who told me that.Last I heard 20yrs back Dai Plant from Weston Coyney was working for Kodak a distant memory again cant recall where that info came from Catch you later Bud