Derbyshire - Page 44 - Ships Nostalgia
07:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Derbyshire

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1076  
Old 26th July 2018, 20:37
steviej's Avatar
steviej steviej is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 1981
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle Ray View Post
I was on the Tynebridge from 1975 to 76, I joined her in Finland and was butterworthing the tanks / hatches to change over to dry cargo we were just off the top of Scotland on our way to the US when a fire broke out in the pump room , all the Co2 on the ship ( 162 bottles ) was set off into the pump room and dowsed the fire, we sailed on to Newport News with no fire fighting system. a couple of trips before I joined her she had an explosion in Tokyo Bay and lost no 9 hatch lids and the trip before that she hit an Iceberg and holed the bulbous bow, this was filled with concrete in Canada. She did have cracks we used to monitor them weekly and when in port a team of welders were brought in to weld them up. Happy days
I was on the Furness Bridge in 1973 and we experienced the similar storms and the the forward deck hatch dogs came loose filling the forecastle with sea water. I was really upset as I had to rebuild the generator in the forecastle. Missed many a meal walking up and down the deck. Could have been worse.
Reply With Quote
  #1077  
Old 27th July 2018, 07:16
uncle Ray uncle Ray is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1977
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviej View Post
I was on the Furness Bridge in 1973 and we experienced the similar storms and the the forward deck hatch dogs came loose filling the forecastle with sea water. I was really upset as I had to rebuild the generator in the forecastle. Missed many a meal walking up and down the deck. Could have been worse.
The Focsle hatch was always dogged down and lashed when we were at sea, lessons must have been learnt from other sister ships.
If I had to work up fwd I'd always carry a flask of coffee and a sarnie for smokko to save the long trek aft.

The Hydraulic pipes to the hatch winches were rotten and always failing, it was a nightmare to keep up with Hydro oil and new sections of pipe, there was no such thing as a spill kit those days the spillage was washed down with Gamlin and rags.

Also weekly inspections down the tween tank bulkheads and pump room bulkheads for cracking
Reply With Quote
  #1078  
Old 28th July 2018, 21:35
Harry Grainger Harry Grainger is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 48
Gamlin - now there's a brand for yesteryear.
Reply With Quote
  #1079  
Old 29th July 2018, 11:57
uncle Ray uncle Ray is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1977
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Grainger View Post
Gamlin - now there's a brand for yesteryear.

It is Harry, it was a good grease / oil cleaning agent worse and if you got a splash of it in the eye's jeez it stings for a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #1080  
Old 3rd August 2018, 21:53
BOB.WHITTAKER BOB.WHITTAKER is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 108
GENTLEMEN
I hate to be pedantic but it is GAMLEN not GAMLIN , I
checked on Wikipedia !
Regards the Derbyshire the Furness Bridge and sister ships , I was 2eng
on both the Sir John Hunter and the Sir Alexander Glen , with my wife doing
a trip with me on the Sir John Hunter . It was early days in the life of both
vessels and fortunately we had no incidents similar to those that the ships
became well known for .
Cheers , Bob Whittaker
Reply With Quote
  #1081  
Old 4th August 2018, 06:43
uncle Ray uncle Ray is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1977
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB.WHITTAKER View Post
GENTLEMEN
I hate to be pedantic but it is GAMLEN not GAMLIN , I
checked on Wikipedia !
Regards the Derbyshire the Furness Bridge and sister ships , I was 2eng
on both the Sir John Hunter and the Sir Alexander Glen , with my wife doing
a trip with me on the Sir John Hunter . It was early days in the life of both
vessels and fortunately we had no incidents similar to those that the ships
became well known for .
Cheers , Bob Whittaker
Our Gamlin must have been bought in " CHINA"
Reply With Quote
  #1082  
Old 9th September 2018, 09:38
davidrwarwick davidrwarwick is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
My location
Posts: 181
MV Derbyshire lost with all hands today 9th September 1980, RIP the 42 crew and two wives who perished.
Reply With Quote
  #1083  
Old 9th September 2018, 10:29
jmcg's Avatar
jmcg jmcg is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,845
Our thoughts and prayers are for those who perished and for their families,relatives and friends on this sad memorial day.

I had previously sailed with a number of those lost..

It still troubles me why,reasonably assuming those on the Bridge who would be aware of her troubles in the hours and minutes before she was consumed, could not send out a distress message.

RIP all. Never forgotten.

J
Reply With Quote
  #1084  
Old 9th September 2018, 15:11
Erimus's Avatar
Erimus Erimus is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrwarwick View Post
MV Derbyshire lost with all hands today 9th September 1980, RIP the 42 crew and two wives who perished.
Thanks for the reminder David....RIP

geoff
Reply With Quote
  #1085  
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:10
MakemBill MakemBill is offline
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1976 - 1980
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle Ray View Post
I was on the Tynebridge from 1975 to 76, I joined her in Finland and was butterworthing the tanks / hatches to change over to dry cargo we were just off the top of Scotland on our way to the US when a fire broke out in the pump room , all the Co2 on the ship ( 162 bottles ) was set off into the pump room and dowsed the fire, we sailed on to Newport News with no fire fighting system. a couple of trips before I joined her she had an explosion in Tokyo Bay and lost no 9 hatch lids and the trip before that she hit an Iceberg and holed the bulbous bow, this was filled with concrete in Canada. She did have cracks we used to monitor them weekly and when in port a team of welders were brought in to weld them up. Happy days
I joined Tyne Bridge in Japan in about May 1976 as a first tripper Galley Boy. Left her, in Japan again, around December 1976. Loved the trip and the experiences but what happened to Derbyshire was a shock to the system.
Reply With Quote
  #1086  
Old 23rd October 2018, 14:51
uncle Ray uncle Ray is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1977
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakemBill View Post
I joined Tyne Bridge in Japan in about May 1976 as a first tripper Galley Boy. Left her, in Japan again, around December 1976. Loved the trip and the experiences but what happened to Derbyshire was a shock to the system.
Makem,
I signed off the Tynebridge in May but the relief crew came onboard a couple of days early I do remember a young Galley rat, do you have ginger hair by any chance
Reply With Quote
  #1087  
Old 23rd October 2018, 15:20
MakemBill MakemBill is offline
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1976 - 1980
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 6
Hell no. That may have been the deck hand from a Sunderland who joined then. I was the runt wearing NHS glasses. I think I joined with the renowned Tommy Nelson
Reply With Quote
  #1088  
Old 23rd October 2018, 16:44
uncle Ray uncle Ray is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1977
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 28
aye I remember you, I was the eeejit that swapped his shite guitar for my beautiful 12 string, was Whisky the Japanese dog and the Boxer dog still onboard when you left
Reply With Quote
  #1089  
Old 13th April 2019, 14:59
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - Present
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
My location
Posts: 762
Canadian Premiere – Trapped in Typhoon Alley, the Mystery of MV Derbyshire

Thanks to GCaptain and Rick Spelman's Old Salt Blog for the following information:-
"Discovery Channel (Canada)’s new documentary series, “Disasters at Sea,” premieres on April 16th at 10 PM ET. The first episode, “Trapped in Typhoon Alley,” looks at the mysterious sinking of the Capesize Ore/Bulk/Oiler MV Derbyshire, with the loss of 42 aboard, in Typhoon Orchid in 1980. "
Reply With Quote
  #1090  
Old 9th September 2019, 09:51
davidrwarwick davidrwarwick is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
My location
Posts: 181
MV Derbyshire lost with all hands today 9th September 1980, RIP the 42 crew and two wives who perished.
Reply With Quote
  #1091  
Old 9th September 2019, 10:58
jmcg's Avatar
jmcg jmcg is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,845
Yes, just about to post a reminder David.

I sailed with a number of those lost on her sister English Bridge. Always remembered !

A commentary /documentary below.



Still so many unanswered questions remain.

RIP all and comfort to all family /friends still struggling with their loss.

J.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Derbyshire trotterdotpom Wrecks 4 27th August 2013 01:44
Huntfield Pat McCardle Tankers 8 24th September 2005 12:41



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.