Esso Tankers - merged threads - Page 6 - Ships Nostalgia
19:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Esso Tankers - merged threads

User Tag List

Old 3rd December 2014, 16:50

hi i sailed on the esso aalborg in the 1960's she was a great ship and did some good trips on her . use to love swimming in her pool in a bit of a swell just like swimming in the sea.
such a great ship.
Old 16th August 2015, 21:06
Active: 1975 - 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicstar View Post
I am looking for help regarding Mr.Colin James Anderson from Cardiff.
In 1979 he sailed the Esso Scotia,...and was awarded same year with Lloyds bronze medal for heroic saving a shipwrecked sailor in the Arabic Sea. ( Indian Sea? )

Did anyone of you sail with Mr. Anderson ?

He also came to Malaysia sometime betw. 1974-1981,..don't know if that was with Esso Scotia or another tanker.
What ports did Esso Tankers at that time arrive on in Malaysia ?

Grateful if someone can help me solve these questions.
Thanks

Best regards
Elisabeth
Hi Elisabeth, I was with Colin on the Scotia when he made the rescue. I have some information about it but only from memory, nothing official. I never met him again after that trip.
Regards, Mick
Old 29th May 2017, 11:31

Fred Cook

Dear all

My father, Capt Frederick Cook, sailed on the Esso Fawley, Milford Haven & Aberdeen (among others) from the 60s to the 90s. He always spoke fondly about his days at sea. I wondered if any of you remember him?
Old 14th January 2018, 15:13

Fb group Esso Marine UK

A new Fb group for ex Esso UK people
Look for Esso Marine UK
All are welcome
Old 15th April 2018, 11:14

esso

Hi all after recieving some lovely photos of my grandad yesterday,
I believe one of the ships he sailed on was demetia?(not sure if spelling correct) and this correct and im in the correct post but My grandad was
chief superintendant engineer, That the information I have so far, His name Reginald Charles Dodd would love to hear if anyone has any memories and I have some lovely photos of some of his crew mates
Thank you all for reading
Sara
Old 15th April 2018, 11:26

30708521_558050791236164_8686233913464455168_n.jpg

30707536_558050841236159_1259731938189508608_n.jpg
Old 30th May 2018, 11:47

I sailed on esso aalborg danish esso a really good ship to have sailed on even got stuck in the suez canal for a short time from the first day of the 6 day war.
Old 11th August 2019, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Beldon View Post
Hi there I am Capt Beldon's son. Interested in any stories from those who served with him? I was 10 when in Sept 73 when he had to take sick leave from the Lincoln, alas never to return, dying in Nov. of that year.

I remember being taken aboard the Lincoln in Bantry Bay possibly 66/67 with mumps and a local doctor having to be called. We lived in the North of Ireland at the time and had driven down to Cork as she was discharging. Someone put me on a bike and cycled me down the length of the deck, carrying me up to the Capt's cabin.

Lincoln had a bad fire 71/72 ? in the Channel loaded with naptha...Some disturbed seaman in the linen locker with drink and cigarettes. HMS Leander stood off as she burned...touch and go for a few hours. Anyone on board remember that?

Anyway grateful for any stories as I am writing up his years in 39-46 in the Atlantic.

Thanks
Hi Dave,
My father, Des Templeman, was the mate on the Lincoln at the time of the fire and fought it using a smoke hood along with others using bottled breathing apparatus.
Dad finished his career as Master on the Warwickshire and sadly passed away last year.
Old 11th August 2019, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeirwin View Post
Hi Alex,

How you doing, was it 1970 when we drydocked the 'Warwickshire' in Bremerhaven - Happy days indeed.

Rgds,

Mike Irwin.
Hi Mike,

My father, Des Templeman, was on the Warwickshire, probably as mate during the dry docking in Bremerhaven.
I remember it because I got to stay in a hotel there with my mother & sister for the duration of the docking.
Old 11th August 2019, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Templeman View Post
Hi Mike,

My father, Des Templeman, was on the Warwickshire, probably as mate during the dry docking in Bremerhaven.
I remember it because I got to stay in a hotel there with my mother & sister for the duration of the docking.
Hi Steve'
Yes I remember Des very well, he'd been mate prior to the drydocking, and he went up to Master for the period of the docking and for the trip afterwards. Des was a hard taskmaster but a very fair man and I had the highest respect for him, please give him my regards if he is stll with us.
Regards,

Mike Irwin.
Old 11th August 2019, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeirwin View Post
Hi Steve'
Yes I remember Des very well, he'd been mate prior to the drydocking, and he went up to Master for the period of the docking and for the trip afterwards. Des was a hard taskmaster but a very fair man and I had the highest respect for him, please give him my regards if he is stll with us.
Regards,

Mike Irwin.
Thanks Mike for replying so promptly Mike,
Sadly Dad passed away last August

Steve
Old 11th August 2019, 18:17

Quote:
Hi Dave,
My father, Des Templeman, was the mate on the Lincoln at the time of the fire and fought it using a smoke hood along with others using bottled breathing apparatus.
Dad finished his career as Master on the Warwickshire and sadly passed away last year.
Hello again Dave,

Having spoken to my mother, I believe the fire that you mentioned may have actually occurred on the Newcastle

Steve
Old 11th August 2019, 19:26

Quote:
Thanks Mike for replying so promptly Mike,
Sadly Dad passed away last August

Steve
So sorry to hear that Steve.
R.I.P. Des.