I owe someone a hangover - Ships Nostalgia
03:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

I owe someone a hangover

User Tag List

Old 25th October 2008, 04:52

I owe someone a hangover

Tenakwe! About 1962/3 I was working by on a ship in my home port of Leith while the incumbent second crook and bricklayer went on leave to Hull I think it was. I had full use of his cabin in his absence and on my last day when knocking off I noted that his gear was back and a suit was hanging beside my own in the locker. I don't recall seeing him then. I caught the bus to Musselburgh where I lived and then went to the boozer.I was having a quiet pint when I discovered a sum of money in my suit pocket. About five quid as I recall.This was a pleasant surprise but remember in those days you could get a tailor made suit for about nineteen guineas remember Burtons, Jacksons,John Collier etc.I had maybe three suits and a blazer plus my MN uniform of Wranglers or Levis plus a couple of overcoats.That amounts to a fair few pockets in total. I also had never owned a wallet or a credit card so finding a stash was , as I have said, pleasant but not too surprising. Naturally like the MN lad that I was I proceeded to get rid of it as quickly as I could and got well and truely blootered.Next day I had to report to the ship for my time sheet to take to Salvesens office who were agents and who would pay me.The ship was ready for sea and only a rope ladder was available to get me aboard which I somehow managed.I went to the Chief Stewards cabin for my time sheet and next thing I got hassled a bit by the second asking if I had 'lifted' anything from his cabin. Naturally I denied any knowledge of anything amiss and I think by my reaction he realised I knew nothing and he left. The chief told me that some money had been stolen from the seconds cabin. I left the ship and went to Salvesens and it wasn't until later in the day I deduced what probably happened. I think he came in and hung his suit up next to mine and then stuffed his money in my hankie pocket.Sorry mate, but it wasn't my fault but I do owe you a hangover. Regards Ronnie.
Old 25th October 2008, 07:08
Bilge Rat
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to opffer. Great first story mate
Old 25th October 2008, 07:18
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 1990

Welcome to the site. Lovely yarn. Cheers janathull.
Old 25th October 2008, 10:47

Welcome Ronnie and a great introduction. Hope you enjoy all that is offered on this site
Best wishes
Bert.
Old 25th October 2008, 10:53
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Ron and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.