Andrea Doria - Ships Nostalgia
03:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Andrea Doria

User Tag List

Old 30th December 2005, 16:55
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1972 - 2002

Andrea Doria

This is a picture of the newest Italian Navy ship, at her christening in Fincantieri's Riva Trigoso Yard.
Andrea Doria is the first of class of the franco-italian Horizon project for a multipurpose frigate.
Her sister ship Caio Duilio is under construction.
Piero
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ANDREA DORIA .jpg (238.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 7th January 2006, 02:31

Thumbs up

Hi Piero if you wernt a member id say that wasnt real it is absolutly butifull post a pic when she.s afloat honestly its lovely
REGARDS
Bobby(Glsgow)
Old 7th January 2006, 02:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
What a great looking ship,the lines, so futuristic in design, I bet she does not give of much of a signature.
John
Old 7th January 2006, 10:04
user

My location
Great photo Piero, thank you.
Old 7th January 2006, 15:18

My location
Bella foto Piero molto interessante.
Gp
Old 8th January 2006, 05:06

A great photo. I don't recall seeing a vessel of that tonnage sitting on a rubber tyred low loader before. Is that the normal method launching a vessel of that size? How do they launch like that - drive it start into the sea or river? I recall a Swedish passenger ship by that name or one similar to that which collided with another vessel in heavy fog in the Atlantic. Am I correct with the name and collision.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
NZ

Last edited by lagerstedt; 8th January 2006 at 05:12..
Old 8th January 2006, 08:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagerstedt
A great photo. I don't recall seeing a vessel of that tonnage sitting on a rubber tyred low loader before. Is that the normal method launching a vessel of that size? How do they launch like that - drive it start into the sea or river? I recall a Swedish passenger ship by that name or one similar to that which collided with another vessel in heavy fog in the Atlantic. Am I correct with the name and collision.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
NZ
Ahoy Blair,
Indeed you are correct, here that story:
http://www.andreadoria.org/
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 8th January 2006, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagerstedt
... I recall a Swedish passenger ship by that name or one similar to that which collided with another vessel in heavy fog in the Atlantic. Am I correct with the name and collision.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
NZ
Hello Lagerstedt!
It's not exactly as you say:the "Andrea Doria" was an Italian liner of Italia Navigazione SpA. She was rammed and sank on 26 july 1956 off Nantucket Lightship by the Swedish America Line "Stockholm", with the loss of about 50 passengers and crew.
The name Andrea Doria is recurrent in both merchant and naval italian ships, being the name of a glorious admiral of the ancient Genoese Republic (abt XVI century)
Piero
Old 8th January 2006, 12:16

This pic seems to have raised quite interest, so I will tell something more about.
I feel "Andrea Doria" a little "my ship", since I worked at the Horizon Project from 1994 to 2001, although not as designer but only as work planning manager for the Italian ships. The UK Navy was part of the project until 1998, when resigned and proceeded separately with the Type 45's design and production.
The ship is pictured in the Fincantieri's Riva Trigoso Yard, near Genoa, where she was built. The wheels beneath her are part of a new launching system, that replaced the slipway (aircraft carrier "Cavour" has been the last ship to be launched in Riva Trigoso in the traditional way)
The ship is assembled and pre-outfitted in the workshops. When ready to launch, she is transferred by mean of a series of motorized dollies in the open, and then rolled by the same dollies on a barge, and towed in Muggiano yard, in La Spezia, abt 30 miles eastward.
There the ship is rolled from the barge in a floating dock, the dollies are removed, the dock sunk, and the ship is floated and transferred to the berth for her completion.
This method seems quite intricate, but, although by far less spectacular and "romantic" than the launch from the slipway, is economically much more convenient.
Riva Trigoso Yard has no outfitting berth, and lays in an open bay; the slipway has to be built up and removed every launch, with very high costs.
I will send photos of the launching operations of "Andrea Doria"as soon as i can find them.
Piero
Old 13th January 2006, 23:42

Thanks for the info on the launching method.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
NZ