Borodino - Ships Nostalgia
19:52

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Borodino

User Tag List

Old 7th June 2018, 17:38
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration

Borodino

I have a small bell from this vessel marked 10th Nov 1961-- Copenhagen with four names. J Leeks.. R Trowbridge.. T Sibbons.. AE Green.
Has anybody got any ideas regarding this , I know the she was a part of Ellerman Wilson and the dates she sailed with them so it seems something happened in 1961. I have had this bell for many years and its something that has puzzled me. Any ideas.
Old 8th June 2018, 00:57

She was on the regular London-Copenhagen cargo/passenger service (56 passengers) so that would account for the reference. Ellerman's Wilson archives are held at the University of Hull so there might be some trace there?
https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/searc...f-cd34a21eb206
Old 8th June 2018, 13:04

Borodino

Thanks for your swift reply, I will contact them and see what comes up.
Regards Pipcullum
Old 8th June 2018, 16:15

Hi Pipcullum some advice for you if you do go to University or Hull City Council don't give them it you will never see it again and if you lend them it you will have to sign all the papers and after that you will have to fight them for it back. We have had problem with them good luck. I had a lot to do with Boradino in my working life sam 2182sw
Old 8th June 2018, 17:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

Never part with anything to any museum or library, they are like magpies. I left a drawing with a local museum so they could look into it's history, after 3 years when I insisted that I wanted it back, it was it some enthusiasts desk, they reluctantly gave it back. This mirrored an axe head left for identifying elsewhere, it was in a box of assorted stuff, it had been sampled and catalogued but it was in the vaults for ever if I hadn't nagged it back from them.

Something you may enjoy and that means something to you may well be just another article to be lost in storage to them.
Old 8th June 2018, 20:25

Same here in Hull it gose in there vaults and that is it gone sam2182sw
Old 9th June 2018, 12:06

Many thanks to you all for the timely warning , I will take heed. They sound a regular bunch of thieving Bs
Old 16th June 2018, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcullum View Post
Many thanks to you all for the timely warning , I will take heed. They sound a regular bunch of thieving Bs
I don't think they are, the thing is more that what is unique to you is is another one to a museum. In both of my cases,t he objects were put into "Quite interesting" boxes, others came along and that box went to the back of the cupboard.
Old 24th June 2018, 09:43

I would never let any of my material fall into the hands of maritime museums in the UK! Not long ago, I asked about a photo print of a certain ship. I was quoted 14 for a 5 by 7 inch print. I said that although I felt it was rather expensive, I would have one. Then they said there was a 40 "handling charge." I didn't want it that bad!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 24th June 2018, 09:50

Forgot to say - This is a model of Borodino that I built a few yeasr ago.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Borodino (Large).jpg (162.9 KB, 11 views)

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 24th June 2018, 12:29

Borodino

Thanks Bob for that , must say uni of Hull were very swift in their reply to my query and answered by return of post nearly. Still no answer to my puzzle of the bell though .

Pip
Old 9th July 2018, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipbuilder View Post
I would never let any of my material fall into the hands of maritime museums in the UK! Not long ago, I asked about a photo print of a certain ship. I was quoted 14 for a 5 by 7 inch print. I said that although I felt it was rather expensive, I would have one. Then they said there was a 40 "handling charge." I didn't want it that bad!
Bob
yes usually they are charging 40 as handling charge , i too faced the same years before
Old 9th July 2018, 22:47
Active: 1964 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcullum View Post
I have a small bell from this vessel marked 10th Nov 1961-- Copenhagen with four names. J Leeks.. R Trowbridge.. T Sibbons.. AE Green.
Has anybody got any ideas regarding this , I know the she was a part of Ellerman Wilson and the dates she sailed with them so it seems something happened in 1961. I have had this bell for many years and its something that has puzzled me. Any ideas.
Try the Ellerman's Wilson Line Facebook page. Some of the old seadogs on there may have some idea.