Shell Tankers 1967-1975 - Page 7 - Ships Nostalgia
06:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Shell Tankers 1967-1975

User Tag List
Don Moorman

Old 17th August 2014, 13:31

Aluco

Were you relieved on the Aluco by R/O Phil Maciver. I remember him sending me a postcard photo of her around March 77 which matched yr date paying off, just before i joined Hemitrochus. Still have postcard somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcW View Post
New to this site, bringing back lots of great memories of my time with STUK, here is my listing :-

Vertagus 14.3.75 - 24/9/75 (First trip jnr R/O, joined at RAK, took this one to scrap in HK)
Haminella 7/1/76 - 30/4/76
Aluco 14/9/76 - 7/2/77
Partula 1/6/77 - 30/8/77 (tar boat, recall some interesting scenes as steam pipes burst in the tanks and caused a gusher of tar everywhere!)
Geomitra 15/3/78 - 1/8/78
Mena 13/11/78 - 24/3/79
Drupa 28/6/79 - 18/5/79 (offloading at Brent Spar if I recall correctly?)
Geomitra 26/2/80 - 17/6/80
Gadinia 12/9/80 - 2/1/81
Etrema 19/3/81 - 30/6/81
Tribulus 5/10/81 - 5/2/82 (pretty much Aabenraa-Richards Bay-Aarbenraa with coal, slow steaming all the way)
Pomella 20/5/82 - 14/9/82
Limnea 18/11/82 - 4/12/82 (to scrap I think hence short trip)
Halia 3/1/83 - 9/4/83 (lightening, what a happy ship)
Litiopa 4/7/83 - 5/10/83 (to lay up in Loch Striven)
Gadila 20/12/83 - 21/4/84
Old 17th August 2014, 14:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1976 - 1988

Too long ago to remember Lucy! I joined and paid off in Dubai, if I recall we did Persian Gulf (as it was called back then) to places like Mauritius, Sri Lanka, Madagascar etc., my first trip on my own, great times.
Old 21st August 2014, 16:34

Shell Tankers first woman 1978???

FM Lucy Knight
I was amused to read an article on 14th Aug EADT newspaper which began about high street shopping and ended up the sea going life history of Shell Tanker's first woman who was apparently taken on just after the sex discrimination Act in 1978. The sex discrimination Act was end of 75 and I was employed with them as a radio cadet summer 74 attending Brunel college and went to sea on the Mangelia 75. I can think of four radio officers who were at sea on Shell tankers by 78. I understand I was the first they took on and others followed soon after . In fact all four of us were at sea by end of 76. However by summer 78 I was the last to resign. I had had quite enough of ch eng Joplin and the rest of his merry band of engineers who had an all out mission to drive me out on the MV Amoria.
I joined CP ships just like this woman did a few years after me. How I wish I had been a few years younger because the woman who followed on after the sex disc Act and a few years later never seemed to suffer the prejudice like I did in both companies and especially C.P. Ships. They beggared belief.
Old 21st August 2014, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanengineer View Post
Has anybody info on the attack on the Amastra in Siagon ? I joined her Oct69 as 4th eng after she had spent six months in dry dock in S'pore.
There is a photo of the semi sunk Amastra in Siagon in John Moxley's book - From Watford to Woolloomooroo. He was on Vietnam run as an uncert. 3/O will Shell.

I remember on the Mangelia in 75 there was a 4/E called Tom who used to tell the tale of how he had to swim out of the engine room on the Amastra when it sunk there. Can't remember his surname but he was from Coventry.
Old 21st August 2014, 17:01
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKnight View Post
FM Lucy Knight
I was amused to read an article on 14th Aug EADT newspaper which began about high street shopping and ended up the sea going life history of Shell Tanker's first woman who was apparently taken on just after the sex discrimination Act in 1978. The sex discrimination Act was end of 75 and I was employed with them as a radio cadet summer 74 attending Brunel college and went to sea on the Mangelia 75. I can think of four radio officers who were at sea on Shell tankers by 78. I understand I was the first they took on and others followed soon after . In fact all four of us were at sea by end of 76. However by summer 78 I was the last to resign. I had had quite enough of ch eng Joplin and the rest of his merry band of engineers who had an all out mission to drive me out on the MV Amoria.
I joined CP ships just like this woman did a few years after me. How I wish I had been a few years younger because the woman who followed on after the sex disc Act and a few years later never seemed to suffer the prejudice like I did in both companies and especially C.P. Ships. They beggared belief.
Hi Lucy, just checked the July 78 Fleet Fax and I think the C/E you are referring to on the Amoria, was Don Joughin. He joined along with Capt. Pereir, 2/Es Dave Fitzpartick and P.R. Walker, and 5/E's Roberts & Bowman. I can say with some ease that Don Joughin was the most disgusting character I came across in Shell. As 2/O going into his cabin to flog clocks was a nightmare. Finding him half undressed lying on the deck blind drunk on a Sunday afternoon was not my idea of fun...... Wishing you bell Bob Dunbar. PS There is a Shell Tankers Website on Facebook with most of the Fleet Fax from the 70's through to the 80's
Old 21st August 2014, 17:31
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1967 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim barnes View Post
did a bit of shell d/boy to sos
Hemicardium 5th jan 68 to 20 july 68
Vitrina 9 sept 68 to 26 march 69
Haminella 24 april to 22 oct 69
hi Jim i signed on Hemicardium same time in bremerhaven i was catering boy but got promoted to crew messman for a month feb to march
Old 21st August 2014, 18:00
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1967 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobgayton View Post
Hi there
I've just found this site and noticed your list of ships served on, we must have been on the 'Humilaria' at the same time.
To be honest most of my memories seem to blur together during the time I was at sea but looking at my discharge book I joined her in Singapore in Oct. 69 and paid off in Kuwait in May '70.
I do remember the Pulau Bukom to Jardine steps ferry and certainly recall the 'Seamans Paradise' and Champagne Bar!
Other Shell tankers I worked down below on as F/G were Hemimactra, Hindsia, Valvata and as G 1 seaman when they brought the General Purpose in, on Naticina and Megara.
Happy days!
blimey champagne bar that brings back memories not same singapore now
Old 25th August 2014, 13:02
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo View Post
hi Jim i signed on Hemicardium same time in bremerhaven i was catering boy but got promoted to crew messman for a month feb to march
Hy Stevo
Yes I joined in Bremerhaven 5th January 1968 my first trip to sea after leaving sea school (TS Indefatigable)
Some years gone by now, I have tried to place you but memory cells are getting hap hazard lol. I signed back on her when we returned as I heard through the grape vine that she was going to Japan. Captain wanted to know why I wanted to sail again instead of going home !
Asked me if I had heard where she was going ? I said no Sir, he said OK then...knew I was lying obviously. Captain Roberts it was smashing bloke, he had a bad back slipped disc if I remember correctly. Good crowd on that ship, we got permission to create a crew bar on her, one of the first in the fleet but no spirits because we where crew....where you still on her then ?
Apparently I left the sea 10 yrs before you 76. Got married in 75 and was fortunate (I think) still married to same lass, 40yrs in Feb 2015.
Signed on for the long haul.
Jim
PS 5 kids on tow.
Old 28th August 2014, 14:36

Shell M boats Geisha dolls

Does anyone remember where the cabinet with the Geisha doll was located. Some of the M boats had them. I was sent a photo of the one on the Mangelia which now lives in a sitting rm in the South of England and was told it looked identical to the one on another M boat. The Shell looks fm a photo of the dining area to be in the corner in the dining area opposite corner to the door leading to the galley. Anyone remember.
Old 1st September 2014, 21:26
Active: 1966 - 1967

Michael Kellys death June 1967

I am trying to find out what ship he was on when he died, if you know how I can find the rosters of the ships in the UK, it was going from Rotterdam to London in June 1967, he was lost at sea for a month, he was only 19 years old and was engaged at the time to a lady from Australia.

My mother never knew that he was in an altercation apparently and the person responsible was not known to us, except that he lived in Aberdeen perhaps.

I would like to find out what ship it was and who was responsible if anyone knows anything as they quickly covered it up.

Apparently this cover up situation happened to someone else 7 years later.
Old 3rd January 2015, 14:45

Shell Crew

Hi I served some time with Shell In the early Sixties on the Velletia,Varicella ,Platida (Tar tanker) And the Haustellum in 67 on the Vietnam Run. Sitting on a mix parcel of fuel and getting shoot at now and again. Never seem so many blokes trying to get through a door off the poop deck me included. all the best tony R799563
Old 13th January 2015, 01:02

fm Lucy Knight
Does anyone know anything about a Dutch Shell M class that had a Las Palmas chopper arrive an hour early and landed in front of accomodation not circle and ended up embedded? The ship had to put into Las Palmas to land the chooper. Happened late 60, The story was told by an engineer who had been on ship. Any ideas of which one?
Old 18th June 2015, 20:28
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 2013

Plagiola
Spent my second trip 1868 as Deck apprentice on her, mostly up and down the US East coast. Apart from a 'real' dry-docking in Cardiff, the highlight was getting a load of bitumen back through the heating coils and only just making it back to anchor off New York. The 2/E Stuart Kneen called up the Bridge as we were leaving port, but still with a Pilot on board - with a frantic message "Tell the Old Man to turn her round pronto and get to anchor quick". Needless to say, we did so, with ever increasing clouds of black smoke belching from the funnel. We spent the next three weeks in Hoboken dry-dock and giving pints of blood to earn a bit more money. Spent a whole month down the pit which was great experience.
Some call them the good old days.
Old 19th June 2015, 15:51

Quote:
Some call them the good old days.
Blimey, if you signed on in 1868 they must have the good old days!

" For those in peril of the sea ......."
Old 21st July 2015, 08:21
Active: 1970 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKnight View Post
fm Lucy Knight
Does anyone know anything about a Dutch Shell M class that had a Las Palmas chopper arrive an hour early and landed in front of accomodation not circle and ended up embedded? The ship had to put into Las Palmas to land the chooper. Happened late 60, The story was told by an engineer who had been on ship. Any ideas of which one?
Don't know about that but I was on the Melania in 1975 when the Las Palmas Helicopter ignored Capt Sloan (most of us did!) and landed instead of hovering, pilot got out wearing Cuban heeled cowboy boots strolled over to the rail, took out a large cigar and lit it, I was in charge of the deck party and got the blame but it was worth it to see the strange colour the old man turned!
Old 16th December 2015, 08:30

Mekong delta 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike yeats View Post
Further to the shelling of the Haustrum, I was a deck apprentice and at the time of the attack I was taking tank temperature just aft of the midships accomodation. We were hit by 57 mm anti tank shells, according to the Americans, we were hit on port bridge wing, captains night cabin, officers mess, a port side forward tank, rear of chart room and a lifeboat davit portside aft. The chinese helmsman was killed in the chart room explosion, the Captain was slightly injured but mostly damaged his hearing. He had been through the Russian convoys in WW2 and never had a scratch, this was his last trip to sea.
They were trying to block the river, according to Americans. Skyhawk jets came to our assistance and bombed the bank also a river craft lobbed grenades along the bank.
Hello Mike,
I am Dougie who was the junior R/O at the time of the incident doing my first trip.