H series Shell tankers - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
07:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

H series Shell tankers

User Tag List

Old 30th November 2013, 15:08

Mactra2 and Marpessa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasco View Post
[ I remember the image of one of them, the tank deck opened up and folded back over the bridge - not unlike a sardine can..
When tank sizes reached the 10,000 cubic metres - things really got nasty when tank cleaning - until IG systems became common place.
Mactra and Marpessa[/QUOTE]

There are images of both of the ships on the Shell Helderline site. Click on Shell Tankers - then M - and scroll down for their names - after clicking on their names scroll down below the ships's specifications and crew lists and there are several photos on both site.
Old 30th November 2013, 16:24

HYALINA Shell

Just found this post and it rang a bell in my old head. See from my old dis.bk I sailed on Hyalina from Sept to Dec 1953. She was very new and proper in those days certainly not rusty, We ran from Rotterdam to Curacoa couple of times I recall paid off to get Christmas at home
Stuart
Old 24th December 2013, 12:08

Hi. I sailed on Hadra as deck apprentice first trip 58-59. Went BA 3 times and up amazon and sucked in fresh water for Curaçao power station. Also to Accra with kerosine in drums as deck cargo and unloaded overboard to canoes. Then to Lagos with av gas. Then back Curaçao through Pamama to NZ 3 ports then to Mena load for Rotterdam. Falmouth for docking then Curaçao for hamburg and albourg and look out for mines in Baltic eventually paid off in Venezuela and came home on the Gas Turbine powered Auris. Only DA on board and scrapped Taff rails and varnished all the way over to Thameshaven. After leave joined Horomya and more interesting places including Fao Balikpapen Borneo Hong Kong, Sydney and one of the first loads out of Port Harcourt what a dump.These H boats were hard work and even in 1958 where out of date compared to the latest Norwegian tankers but they sure went to some interesting places. David Warren
Old 10th April 2014, 17:28
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1967

Captain R S Richard

I sailed with Captain R S Richard as Third Mate in the Helcion in 1959. A small wiry man he was said, at the time, to be the most intellectual master in Shell. He claimed to be fluent in French and Spanish and could “get around” in German, Hindi, Malay, and a form of Chinese.

He may well have viewed me as somewhat untutored, to put it nicely, because during long ocean crossings he would come up onto the bridge at 2100 on my watch each night and hold forth on all manner of subjects until 2300. They say you never forget a good teacher which is possibly why I remember him so well.

The Second Mate in the same ship, G T Prince from the Northeast, was another good man to sail with.

Keith
Old 23rd April 2014, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdonian View Post

The Second Mate in the same ship, G T Prince from the Northeast, was another good man to sail with.

Keith
Sorry to inform you that Captain Gordon T Prince died recently; it was in the Shell Pensioners Association magazine.
Old 24th April 2014, 15:02

Captain Gordon T Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by loylobby View Post
Sorry to inform you that Captain Gordon T Prince died recently; it was in the Shell Pensioners Association magazine.
Sad to hear of Gordon’s passing. We sailed together in the Helcion on an 11 month voyage. My condolences to Family and Friends.

Keith
Old 27th April 2014, 17:13
Active: 1946 - 1988

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R396040 View Post
HYALINA Shell

Just found this post and it rang a bell in my old head. See from my old dis.bk I sailed on Hyalina from Sept to Dec 1953. She was very new and proper in those days certainly not rusty, We ran from Rotterdam to Curacoa couple of times I recall paid off to get Christmas at home
Stuart
I was in Hyalina in 1949. For some reason she was looked upon as a very fast ship. Very modern and state of the art for a tanker. Captain "Butcher" Shaw. Hyalina net tonnage was 7,300 something. Can't read her other tonnages in my old discharge book. 12,000 Gross?
I remember how astounded we were when Shell brought out the first of their 28,000 tonners! 28,000 WOW!
Yes, it did wow us in those days.
Old 16th May 2014, 17:50

'H' boats

Hi there
Hemimactra, Hindsia and Humilaria were the 'H' boats I sailed on, they used to say they were 'chatty but happy'. I have some great memories of all three ships but I can't say the same about another tanker.

I flew out with two other blokes to join the Valvata a Shell tanker as a fireman/greaser in Piney Point in August '71, the only bad ship I ever sailed on. I remember getting logged before I'd even signed on. That must be some record!

They said the ship was jinxed and after a few weeks I could understand why. Apparently a crew-member had died just before I joined so I wasn't off to a very good start.
We were out from BA heading for Sweden, I think it was and I was on watch in the engine room when I heard an almighty scream from down below. One of the blokes I joined with was a first tripper from Nottingham, just a young fellow, I think he'd just come out of the army.
Most of the blokes working in the engine room just wore cut-down jeans but this chap was very safety conscious and always wore a boiler suit. He was painting the turbine when his boiler suit got caught on a lug on the rev counter. It whipped the boiler suit from him and tore his arm off mid-way up his forearm. He was more concerned with covering his nakedness than anything else, obviously in shock.
We diverted to San Juan and he was taken off, I'd love to know what happened to him.
Not too long after that a close relative was killed in a plane crash and I paid off.
One ship best forgotten.
Old 25th October 2015, 20:37

"H" class

anybody out there sailed on the "Hanetia" 1958 -59?
Old 26th October 2015, 02:40
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad21 View Post
anybody out there sailed on the "Hanetia" 1958 -59?

www. helderline.nl This is a great site for Shell. David.
Old 26th October 2015, 16:09

TES Helcion: Engine Problems

We had our share of engine stoppages in the turbo electric Helcion one of which occurred in 1960 when bound from Punta Cardon towards Dakar. We had no sooner left the Caribbean, by passing between St Lucia and St Vincent into the Atlantic, when a loud racket of escaping steam came from the engine room. A joint had blown in the main steam line to the turbines. We hauled the ship around and headed towards Curacao for repairs, threading our way back through fleets of sail fishing vessels we had cleared earlier.

A silver lining was the opportunity to do a bit of victualling at Willemstad since we were out of certain provisions and strictly rationed in others. Cigarettes had run out five days earlier, smokers using pipe tobacco in roll-ups.

Good old days.
Keith

Last edited by Aberdonian; 26th October 2015 at 16:18..
Old 12th November 2015, 22:22

Good news for those who sailed on H-tankers.
4 models of 61 cm incl. base and cover are available at the workshop - The price is in Euro 515,00 incl. VAT ex R'dam.

DSC02389.JPG

The models are only a little less detailed than my 1:125 working models.

SANY0054a.jpg
Old 16th November 2015, 20:11

Just looked up my old photos of the 2 H boats I sailed on and as I remembered the masts were shells own brown not white as in the models. Don't know when they changed or if it was individual ships that had white. This brown also used for the cutting in on outside accomadation mid ships and aft. Never liked doing the white lead and tallow on the rigging from a chair so tried to keep on right side of mate.
Old 21st November 2016, 15:23
Department: Navigation
Active: 1975 - 1984

Thumbs up Model of H / K class shell tanker

I purchased one of the 15 models at Nico Ros.
Quite happy with it! Old memories came back. I can look at it for hours!
Old 6th February 2017, 01:32

I joined the "Hinnites" in Singapore in 1969, with 3/E Alan Day, and my fellow D/A Chris Savage. The Master was Douglas Mortimer, a real gentleman. The Mate was Brian Davis-Patrick, then David Coldwell. We discharged the cargo, then headed to Bandar Mashar to load Naptha for Kobe and Nagoya. Backloaded one tank (7C) of lube oil at Yokkaichi for Singapore, discharged it there, then back to Bandar Mashar to load for Thamehaven. I remember that at Bandar Mashar, the wreck of the Italian tanker "Louisa", which had had an explosion, was being cut up. We stopped at Cape Town for bunkers, before heading for Thameshaven. We reached the Dover Strait in the early morning, and the White Cliffs emerged from the mist just as the sun rose. Our deck crew, who had been "East of Suez" for two years were all out on the Boat Deck, and I noticed that they were blinking back tears at the sight of the White Cliffs. We paid them off at Thamehaven, and headed for Fawley to load Jet Fuel for Hamburg.
Old 19th June 2018, 10:08
Active: 1963 - 2016

Helcion 1965 Hinea 1967/8 E/A Hemicardium 1970 4/E Hadra 1971 3/E Hemitrochus 1972 2/E Hydatina 1972 2/E Haustellum 1972/3 2/E. Breif History
Old 19th June 2018, 17:39

I can remember the incident on the Valvata as it was yesterday. As 5/E on the 12-4 I was going down the ladders into the engine room when I saw the poor fireman running up the other stairs injured.The remains of his hand and boiler suit were wrapped round the shaft for the turbine rev counter.The shaft was connected with a collar with taper pins that caught his boiler suit. He had rolled up his sleeves that acted as tourniquet and as the boiler suit was ripped off it got tighter on his arm and something had to give.We steamed to nearest island and landed the poor guy ashore.I still relate this incident to all the younger guys that I work with today
Old 6th July 2018, 02:27

Hi everyone, sailed on the Hanetia early 70's, great trip, ended up with a double DR, careful negotiation got it down to a DR.
Old 30th January 2019, 11:30
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlythSpirit View Post
I would think it nigh on impossible to jumboize a 19,000 DWT vessel to 70,000DWT. Shell did it with Z class ships from 38,000DWT
I sailed on the Zenatia in mid 70s. They were nicknamed coffin ships because of shape. Midships accomodation was cut off at deck level and placed on top of aft accommodation, so centre castle was half way up the accommodation.
Old 26th March 2019, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEDOC View Post
I sailed on the Zenatia in mid 70s. They were nicknamed coffin ships because of shape. Midships accomodation was cut off at deck level and placed on top of aft accommodation, so centre castle was half way up the accommodation.
I sailed on the Zaphon twice, I remember her well as we used to try to race other ships in the indian ocean on the way to the gulf, she was a fast old girl. Now on the verge of retirement its all seems so long ago now.