Hull Tech. College, Ph. 1, ’71 – ’73. South Shields, Ph.3, ’74 – ’75. - Ships Nostalgia
06:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hull Tech. College, Ph. 1, ’71 – ’73. South Shields, Ph.3, ’74 – ’75.

User Tag List

Old 19th August 2010, 13:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1982

Hull Tech. College, Ph. 1, ’71 – ’73. South Shields, Ph.3, ’74 – ’75.

I was a Phase 1 Engineer Cadet with Trident Tankers/P&O BSD at Hull in 71 – 73 and completed Phase 3 at South Shields 74 – 75.

Are there any others on this Forum who were at the either college at the same time – with whatever Company – and might remember me? It’d be interesting to hear from old mates from those days.

Martin Littlebury.
Old 20th August 2010, 00:03
Active: 1955 - 1962

Hi Martin

I was not in 1971 intake at Hull, a few years earlier at Acton.

Any of the following names ring any bells.....AJ Bristow, ML Christian, A Muse, PE Midgeley, P Wilkinson , S Oatey.

A few more; D Atteridge, P Beddard, AEL Bruce, MC Johnson, MJ Mudd, D Rooney, DA Thompson and C Wastling

All were 1971 at Hull , one RFA the remainder BP.

Graham
Old 20th August 2010, 04:38

This is a great start.

The BP blokes were in a separate group so I didn't get to know them so well. Our group was P&O (Trident/BI/NZS), Athel, RFA and maybe another company.

ALAN (??) Bristow
MIKE Christian (I'd been racking my brains for ages to remember his surname. Had a blue Triumph 500 Speed Twin in Shields, I seem to remember)
A Muse,
PE Midgeley,
PAUL (??) Wilkinson ,
STEVE Oatey (Knew Steve VERY well. RFA man, same group and regular drinking mate. Ariel Arrow at Hull, Norton Commando at Shields)
DON (??) Atteridge (Reddish hair?)
PAUL Beddard,
AEL Bruce,
MAL (??) Johnson (From Sheffield? If this is the same bloke, he had a BSA A10 at some point)
MJ Mudd, (Remember the surname, can't recall first name although Nigel comes to mind)
D Rooney,
DA Thompson
C Wastling

Thanks a lot for these, Graham.
Old 20th August 2010, 09:45
Active: 1971 - 2015

I was a Phase 1 Engineer Cadet with Ropners in 71 – 73 (1D5 & 2D2) then Phase 3 74 – 75 (Group 3) all at South Shields but regretfully your name does not ring a bell. Too many nights in the Chelsea Cat, Tavern, Kismet, La Strada, Yellow Wellie & many more places since, may just have pickled my brain. There were a few guys from P&O / Tridant who are on Friends Reunited from that time some of the names you might know.

All the best

Tony
Old 21st August 2010, 00:54
Active: 1955 - 1962

martin,

Do not know the colour of Mike Christians' motor Bike , but the rumour is he sold one to Steve Oatey

I'm in touch with Steve on and off.

having a bit of a flashback with you mentioning all those motor bikes ,I had a BSA 350 at South Shields but that was in summer 1957 when a number of BP E/A's were there for 2 months installing lathes and general fitting then turning up test pieces for the Izod machines, prior to the new college opening.

I have been in touch with the first 6 guys on the list.

Graham
Old 29th August 2010, 23:39
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1971 - Present

Hi Martin,

Wow!! Can it be 35 years?? We certainly had a lot of good times at Hull and Shields. I just read your post on the thread about Silver Line, so I know some of what you've been up to. I stayed with the RFA until 1993, then took voluntary redundancy. Moved to Canada (my wife is from Vancouver), and got a job with the Ferries from the mainland to Vancouver Island, where we live.
As I recall my Ariel Arrow died when the engine mountings corroded through and the engine just about fell out on the road - it was underslung from the box section frame. Then I bought Mike Christian's Triumph, an old 500 Speed Twin (the pre-unit 5T not the later 5 TA). Did a couple of trips to Wrexham and Macclesfield with Ron Thomas and Ian Thorneycroft and Malc Johnson. Got rid of the bike at the end of phase 1, bought the Norton before phase 3.

Was Don Atteridge a red haired lad from Bridlington? And yes, there was a Nigel Mudd with BP, but not in our year I'm thinking. His uncle worked with my Dad in Torpoint. Have you heard anything of any others from those days? Peter Key, Glen Wheatley......

Steve
Old 30th August 2010, 09:43

Tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.littlebury View Post
I was a Phase 1 Engineer Cadet with Trident Tankers/P&O BSD at Hull in 71 – 73 and completed Phase 3 at South Shields 74 – 75.

Are there any others on this Forum who were at the either college at the same time – with whatever Company – and might remember me? It’d be interesting to hear from old mates from those days.

Martin Littlebury.
I took my tickets 1 and 2 class at Hull steam and motor and endorsements (66 to 70). The head of Dept was Mr Barnet, EK's & Motor Mr Taylor, and for steam a gentle man I cannot remember his name? Any suggestions?
Digs at the Hull Seamans mission, Not the Stella Maris, but the one not far from the railway station. Good time had by all. I have remembered the MN Hotel not the mission? Dinner was at the cafe in the arcade a short walk from Queens gardens towards King Billys statute

Last edited by david freeman; 30th August 2010 at 09:48.. Reason: dates-Memory I am forgetful
Old 15th August 2017, 18:46

A few more names for you... I was also there at that time, joined Trident Tankers, but became part of P&O
Mark Adams
Al ( Pollard?)
David (Charlie ) Proctor
Ian Moses
Richie (? From Birmingham I think)
Steve Dartnell

Some of the lecturers, Mr Franklin, Anderson, Ward, ..... How the names escape me now..
Nights at Tiffany' s, Anchor House , and the place above the Co-op ( Baileys?)

Any more names?

All the best to all who know me, however long ago,
Martin Harvey
Old 15th August 2017, 20:43
Active: 1971 - 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselfitter View Post

...Any more names?
Martin, the only other lecturer's name I can come up with is Derek Chamberlain. Sadly long gone.
Old 17th August 2017, 06:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselfitter View Post
Nights at Tiffany' s, Anchor House , and the place above the Co-op ( Baileys?)

Any more names?

All the best to all who know me, however long ago,
Martin Harvey
Plus Hofbrauhaus, the German-style Bierkeller complete with Oompah band. Don't forget Bestobell House, the student union building behind the college and some nice pubs off Whitefriargate - I've taken my wife to some of those when we've visited UK in the past.

Lecturers? Arthur Ecclestone for electrics, 'Sharkey' for maths - a Welshman, I seem to remember. Dr. Hoppen for general studies, Cranshaw for Workshop Tech. Bean for ?? .... maybe physics.

I remember you well, Martin although we were following different courses - me, OND and you the METC.

Didn't your sister visit Hull a couple of times and join the lads for a pint or two?

I've sent you a message.

Last edited by martin.littlebury; 17th August 2017 at 06:40..
Old 17th August 2017, 10:23

Hi Martin, I seem to have missed this thread, I was there at those times . names i remember are David Cullum, Nigel Mudd, Paul Wilkinson. Dave Johnstone, John Peach, Don Atteridge, Dave Thompson, Phil Hillabrand, Ted Green, Dougie Webster, Steve Robinson, Dave Rawl, Richie Mason Malcolm Wright and Sooty and Andy who were on a Radio officers course. Sadly David Cullum and Nigel Mudd are no longer with us. We used to do workshop training at Park Street with a lecturer called Mr Nutt I also remember Mr Anderson who took us for mechanics he had designed some of the swing bridges and trawlers in Hull he supposedly had an umbrella made out of a whales foreskin. I have attached a pic at Hofbrauhaus with myself Nige Mudd and Paul Wilkinson from Leeds also a pic of our crowd at S/S college
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nigehull.jpg (288.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Shields.jpg (210.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 21st August 2017, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBY2 View Post
I have attached a pic at Hofbrauhaus with myself Nige Mudd and Paul Wilkinson from Leeds also a pic of our crowd at S/S college
Nigel Mudd on the right of the Hofbrauhaus picture?? Digging in my memory, your name, Alan, seems to go with the face on the left. Which leaves the one who got lucky as Alan Wilkinson, although I don't remember him at all. Had many good nights there, which probably partly explains the poor memory!!

I've added a 4 tags to the SS workshop picture. Two names I'm absolutely certain of, one is a 'probably' and one is a 'familiar face but no name'.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc1.pdf (222.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 26th August 2017, 10:42

My location
guy in front Dave browne, i think is Paul {duke] Ellington. he was with Fyffes
Old 28th August 2017, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Morris View Post
I was a Phase 1 Engineer Cadet with Ropners in 71 – 73 (1D5 & 2D2) then Phase 3 74 – 75 (Group 3) all at South Shields but regretfully your name does not ring a bell. Too many nights in the Chelsea Cat, Tavern, Kismet, La Strada, Yellow Wellie & many more places since, may just have pickled my brain. There were a few guys from P&O / Tridant who are on Friends Reunited from that time some of the names you might know.

All the best

Tony
Remember them all except the Yellow Wellie. Where was that?
Old 28th August 2017, 14:31

The Golden Slipper Club in the Hedworth Hall on Dean Road.
Old 31st August 2017, 19:47

I remember The Hedworth; I seem to recall going a couple of times. Iain Smith and his kukri?
Old 5th September 2017, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBY2 View Post
Hi Martin, I seem to have missed this thread, I was there at those times . names i remember are David Cullum, Nigel Mudd, Paul Wilkinson. Dave Johnstone, John Peach, Don Atteridge, Dave Thompson, Phil Hillabrand, Ted Green, Dougie Webster, Steve Robinson, Dave Rawl, Richie Mason Malcolm Wright and Sooty and Andy who were on a Radio officers course. Sadly David Cullum and Nigel Mudd are no longer with us. We used to do workshop training at Park Street with a lecturer called Mr Nutt I also remember Mr Anderson who took us for mechanics he had designed some of the swing bridges and trawlers in Hull he supposedly had an umbrella made out of a whales foreskin. I have attached a pic at Hofbrauhaus with myself Nige Mudd and Paul Wilkinson from Leeds also a pic of our crowd at S/S college
Picture above Paul on the left, me (alan Bristow) in the middle and Nige on the right. Other pic Back row left to right Richard Flinders, Mike Christian, Alan Bristow, Terry (ted) Green, Dougie Webster, John Gambril, +?? Middle row ??, Dave Johnstone looking over Paul Ellingtons shoulder, David Foreman, John Shawcross,?? White, Steve Robinson,??, Keith ??, Dave Cullum, and the 3 seated are Richie Mason, Paul Smith, ??.
Old 5th September 2017, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long gone View Post
I remember The Hedworth; I seem to recall going a couple of times. Iain Smith and his kukri?
Yes. little Scotty got fired from Denholms, I remember early one morning just about to leave Carlos Cabin with him when the bouncer said we should wait as he looked underage and the polis were outside. He was 19 and I was 16....... Also remember him going to the quacks later complaining of a sore throat and being told that it was just his goolies dropping and his voice breaking. He was a late starter.
Old 5th September 2017, 17:17

Remember it's 45 years; where was Carlos Cabin? I have a feeling I should know that as well
Old 27th January 2018, 04:29
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1971 - Present

Re the picture taken in the "BP shop", the label on Dave Brown is correct, as is Mike Christian at the back left. I don't think that is Glen Wheatley though, nor is that Don Attridge.

Last edited by Steve Oatey; 27th January 2018 at 04:31..