M.V Defoe & R.M.S Hubert - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
01:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

M.V Defoe & R.M.S Hubert

User Tag List

Old 19th February 2010, 14:26

Happy Memories Of The South America Run I Sailed On The Raphael In 1963 Recall The Taste Of The Bife Lomo Completo To This Day At I Beleive The Price Of Two Shillings Wot A Meal.in Ba For The Elections Nearly Got Shot By Vigis In The Wrong Place At The Time By The Giant Post Office In The Centre Of B/a Always Expecting A Political Coup Somethings Never Change Kypros
Old 19th February 2010, 14:39

Did The Last Voyage From Liverpool Finished Oct 1964 Before She Went On The Aussie Run Quite A Shock To The Regular Members Of Her Crew If I Recall Seems It Was Unexpected To The Company Men.glad To Hear What Happened To The Hubert Sad Footnote On That Last Trip Recall Committing The Mortal Remains Of An Old Bedroom Steward Off Trinadad Homewardbound The Ships Doctor Tried To Save With An Emergency Op To No Avail Believe He Had A Stroke He Had Seen War Service In The Mn A Real Gent Had A Few Beers With On The Trip Came From The Same Part Of Liverpool As I.put A Downer On The Remainder Of The Voyage I Wonder If He Knew Something Because He Had Sailed On The Hubert And For Booths For Many Years Very Sad. Kypros
Old 25th September 2011, 23:10
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1943 - 1996

There was of course an 'Earlier M.V.Defoe'. She Foundered off Rockall on 24th September 1942. Seven Men were lost, Including my father [Ships Carpenter, Arthur Wright M.N.] She was a fairly NEW Vessel on a voyage to Famagusta, Cyprus with a semi lethal cocktail of Aeroplane Varnish & Liquid Chlorine.
The Bow was blown off up to the foremast and her remains were eventually sunk as a menace to other shipping. Those who died are commemorated on the Tower Green M.N. Memorial.
Arthurian.