Liverpool Watering Holes - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
22:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Liverpool Watering Holes

User Tag List

Old 20th August 2008, 18:24
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1964 - 2001

Another favourite pub with the shipping industry was Ma Boyles in Old Hall Street,Liverpool where you could get a pint of draught guiness and they made
the most delicious ham sandwiches with mustard.

Keith
Old 20th August 2008, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEITH SEVILLE View Post
Another favourite pub with the shipping industry was Ma Boyles in Old Hall Street,Liverpool where you could get a pint of draught guiness and they made
the most delicious ham sandwiches with mustard.

Keith
Keith,
I used to frequent Ma Boyles in the early 60s. I seem to remeber it occupied an old Methodist chapel on the corner of Old Hall Street.

Bill
Old 20th August 2008, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Pat

There was one place name that escapes my memory - perhaps you can recall. It was very close to Hamilton Square Station - opened at about 0500 hours for a superb breakfast. If you were "known" one could get a 'livener' or 'curer' following the night before.

Seem to recall it was an Italian sounding name like.....ini . Much frequented by the China boys.

It was on the main road but then formed away around a side street.

BW

J.
JMCG

That was Oliveri's a great eating house, only closed a couple of years back.

Chris.
Old 20th August 2008, 19:23

I remember the"CARADOCK" "BOOTLE ARMS" THE NELSON
Old 20th August 2008, 19:40

No need to to say any more; you lot have seemed to have drunk in them all.My dad was born in Jamaica st me just off London rd, dad showed us all the pubs in town when my brothers and I were old enough to drink trouble is I cant remember all the names Tony Allen
Old 20th August 2008, 19:57

Quote:
Pat

There was one place name that escapes my memory - perhaps you can recall. It was very close to Hamilton Square Station - opened at about 0500 hours for a superb breakfast. If you were "known" one could get a 'livener' or 'curer' following the night before.

Seem to recall it was an Italian sounding name like.....ini . Much frequented by the China boys.

It was on the main road but then formed away around a side street.

BW

J.
Well Santos got there before me, it was Olivieri's, and as you say was popular with Blue Funnel lads.you may be interested to know that the pub across the road from there, the Woodside Hotel, was on fire last week, and is now completely gutted. Another Birkenhead pub you may recall is the Stork in Price St, just around the corner from the shipping office where we all paid off. It is still open, and still has that famous "yard of ale".
Regards,
Pat
Old 20th August 2008, 20:09

Forgotten one of the real gems, the spanish bar, it was a bit rough, but I'd love to go back, if only it were still standing.
Old 20th August 2008, 20:11

Well remembered for its Mince, Chips Peas following a lunchtime session.
Old 20th August 2008, 20:14

The Dolphin on the Dock Road (Cathcart Street). Does it still exist?
Old 20th August 2008, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
The Dolphin on the Dock Road (Cathcart Street). Does it still exist?
The building is still there Bill, but it has been boarded up for many years.
There are no pubs on the Dock Rd still open, right from Bidston to the four bridges, except for the Dock Hotel at the town end of Corporation Rd.
On the Wallasey side, there was only ever the Stump, and thats been closed for years.
Pat
Old 20th August 2008, 20:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

Santos and Pat

Great stuff. Memory is now flushed. Great days. You could walk the streets with pride and security in those days. The only one likely to trouble you would be the bum who claimed that he was "hard up without a ship" and who was no more than a professional beggar.

Now- just remembered a number of these "bums" operated round the Pier Head Mann Island (for The Pool). The pub was colloqually known as "The Tappers Arms" Would that be The Mona? Can remember the pub for one very good reason - I always smacked my head going in because the roof ceiling was low and I was 6.5 or 6.6. Never seemed to bother me comiing out after a few Jamesons or Juras though.

Surprised (Oliverri's ) lasted that long. Yes I remember the Woodside and the Shipping Office - the two complimented each other!!

BW

J.

Last edited by jmcg; 21st August 2008 at 09:49..
Old 20th August 2008, 22:40

My location
does no one remember the mona just of pier head, stright out of the pool a few beers then sign on, or the american bar just of lime street,or the viking night club on commercial road ,i left my heart in liverpool
Old 20th August 2008, 23:39

Had many a session in the Mona,it was near enough opposite Kingston House in James Street,spent 3 months staying there while on 2nd cooks course at Nautical Catering College in 1974 so were regulars in the Mona for that time.
Is it still open?

Regards Phil
Old 21st August 2008, 00:02

My location
I agree with all U guys however if you were in the Port sunlight side the action in New Brighton side was "Fab" as they said then....

JohnBP
Old 21st August 2008, 07:38

Cannot follow the Port Sunlight/NewBrighton connection. The only clubs I can recall in New Brighton was 'The Kraal' and 'The Creep' both fairly respectable.
Old 21st August 2008, 08:50

Bill

Thats why we frequented them.

Clearly women of character and substance- they could tell you to f...k off with great eloquence and in a beautiful accent.

Bw

J.
Old 21st August 2008, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
Cannot follow the Port Sunlight/NewBrighton connection. The only clubs I can recall in New Brighton was 'The Kraal' and 'The Creep' both fairly respectable.
Bill,
There was also the Crackers Club in New Brighton, near the Tower grounds, and it was much more down market. I never went near it of course.
Pat
Old 21st August 2008, 09:24

There was also one in New Brighton called the 'The Witches Cauldron' close by the Albion, Clarence and Hotel Vic. Some good bands like 'The Undertakers etc,etc

atb
Brian
Old 21st August 2008, 09:32

Pat

Can you recall the name of the pub/club downby the waterside in Bromborough. I recall a pub on the left before one could go no further (The Mersey)- but there was also a club down there.

On the one occasion I was in there (whilst standing by Bamenda Palm for voyage) the "joint" flooded from torrential rainfall. The place filled up to about 3 feet of muddy filth water in a matter of minutes - all coming from Bromborough.

We had to get out. I hoisted my new "lady" on my back (piggy back style)and gallantly set about rescuing her from the raging torrents of filth and slime.

She had her hair done up like Dusty Springfield (Honeycombe I think she called it) and you can imagine me with this fine creature with her legs wrapped round my middle , one hand round my neck and the other hand holding her umberella to keep her hair dry.

It was a long haul up that hill/road with her on my back. Just like Commando training. My mind told me it will be all worth it - and so with lustful anticipation I soldiered on up that hill with her on my back. We finally got to her place where she bid me a fond thank you and good night.

Some you win - some you dont!

Now, what was the name of that place?

BW

J.

Last edited by jmcg; 21st August 2008 at 09:36..
Old 21st August 2008, 10:06

The position or the pub?
Old 21st August 2008, 10:48

Quote:
Pat

Can you recall the name of the pub/club downby the waterside in Bromborough. I recall a pub on the left before one could go no further (The Mersey)- but there was also a club down there.

On the one occasion I was in there (whilst standing by Bamenda Palm for voyage) the "joint" flooded from torrential rainfall. The place filled up to about 3 feet of muddy filth water in a matter of minutes - all coming from Bromborough.

We had to get out. I hoisted my new "lady" on my back (piggy back style)and gallantly set about rescuing her from the raging torrents of filth and slime.

She had her hair done up like Dusty Springfield (Honeycombe I think she called it) and you can imagine me with this fine creature with her legs wrapped round my middle , one hand round my neck and the other hand holding her umberella to keep her hair dry.

It was a long haul up that hill/road with her on my back. Just like Commando training. My mind told me it will be all worth it - and so with lustful anticipation I soldiered on up that hill with her on my back. We finally got to her place where she bid me a fond thank you and good night.

Some you win - some you dont!

Now, what was the name of that place?

BW

J.
Sorry John,
I cant recall it either, but you got a raw deal there.
Pat
Old 21st August 2008, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Locking View Post
There was also one in New Brighton called the 'The Witches Cauldron' close by the Albion, Clarence and Hotel Vic. Some good bands like 'The Undertakers etc,etc

atb
Brian
Yes Brian, I used to go there as well, one of mates at the time was in the "Undertakers", but sadly, his name has disappeared into the mist, Chris something or other.
Hotel Vic has gone,as you prabably know, but I was in the Clarence in April, and had a decent meal there.
Pat
Old 21st August 2008, 10:53

JMCG, that would have been a "beehive" hair-do and a fireman's lift may have been more productive! Well, done for being a gentleman though.

John T
Old 21st August 2008, 11:23

Trotterdotpom

Oh yes -the beehive. She had a net over it too if I can recall - hence my mistake of calling it a Honeycombe

I can assure you "being a gentleman" was not the most important thing on my mind that night.

Must get back to work now.

Great entertainment from this site.

BW

J.

Last edited by jmcg; 21st August 2008 at 21:50..
Old 21st August 2008, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Yes Brian, I used to go there as well, one of mates at the time was in the "Undertakers", but sadly, his name has disappeared into the mist, Chris something or other.
Hotel Vic has gone,as you prabably know, but I was in the Clarence in April, and had a decent meal there.
Pat
Pat,
Chris Huston (Lead Guitar). The main man seemed to be the saxophonists (Brian Jones ) and he still plays the Wallasey circuit

ATB

Brian