Palm Line Ships List - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
19:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Palm Line Ships List

User Tag List

Old 14th December 2013, 20:24
Active: 1936 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.hopcroft View Post
I did one trip on the Lokoja Palm as RO over Christmas and into the new year of 1965. It was........ 'an experience'....... I never see a mention of it in Palm Lne posts.

David
+
Hi David,
As a rigger in Tilbury docks I worked on Lokoja Palm a few times including the time you joined her in 1964..From my work diaries she arrived Tilbury on 13th November and I worked on her until 20th November..I then went to work on a tanker discharging molasses at Dagenham and when I returned to Tilbury a few days later Lokoja Palm had sailed..
My 1965 diary records Lokoja Palm arrived Tilbury on 12th March and sailed on 23rd March..
You were away from home for that Christmas but I wish you all the best for this coming Christmas at home.
Regards,
Stan
Old 14th December 2013, 21:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan mayes View Post
Hi David,
As a rigger in Tilbury docks I worked on Lokoja Palm a few times including the time you joined her in 1964..From my work diaries she arrived Tilbury on 13th November and I worked on her until 20th November..I then went to work on a tanker discharging molasses at Dagenham and when I returned to Tilbury a few days later Lokoja Palm had sailed..
My 1965 diary records Lokoja Palm arrived Tilbury on 12th March and sailed on 23rd March..
You were away from home for that Christmas but I wish you all the best for this coming Christmas at home.
Regards,
Stan
Hello Stan I,m glad to see that you are back on watch matey best wishes for Christmas and the new year Dave .
Old 15th December 2013, 19:35
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1963 - 1995

Hello Stan

My Discharge book shows I signed on 30th November 1964 and signed off 12 March 1965 both at Tilbury. I seem to remember she was just out of drydock. Everything was a mess, and no heating at that stage. The RO's cabin was just behind the Captains, and was pretty small. There were 4 new bolts showing in the deckhead - the converter for the VHF that had just been fitted. I couldn't figure what the square trunking was at first, but quickly found out when we got under way - the chains/wires for the engine room telegraph !

I had some good memories though.

Best Wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

David
+
Old 15th December 2013, 20:04
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
When I was on the maiden voyage of "Kano Palm" the lamp in the Chadburn telegraph burned out. I took off the cover plate to replace it and inadvertently dropped the bulb down the column. Fitted the new lamp and forgot about it.
We completed the voyage and when some worker from the builders came to do some guarantee repairs they pulled the deck head down in the captains cabin.
The bulb had been running round there when the ship was rolling and just about drove him crazy going brrrrr bump.
Old 26th May 2014, 19:25

Still hoping that someone might still remember my late uncle Alfie Carr from Newcastle upon Tyne, was a bosun on the Palm line ships in the 40s and 50s. Cheers
Old 19th March 2015, 23:10

To Alex McMorine:
Sailed with Bob Rankine but heard he had crossed the bar having had testicular cancer. Don't know when that happened as my memory is getting somewhat confused!! Sorry if this is old news but just read your thread.
Old 19th March 2015, 23:52
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 2010

My location
Stranger,
Had not heard the sad news about Bob and was wondering about him, such a character could not disappear, have the Palm Line Reunion in June and will make sure that he is included in the remembrance of those that have crossed the bar.

Appreciated & Kind Regards,

David Wilson.

aka Cacique
Old 20th March 2015, 01:36
Active: 1943 - 1951

The United Africa Company is one of the 53 companies listed in my book SHIPPING COMPANY LOSSES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR.

The UAC lost 10 ships, including one managed for the MOWT, and details are given of how each was lost, including name of master, etc.
Old 29th March 2015, 23:23

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hillyard View Post
Discussion thread for Palm Line Ships List. If you would like to add a comment, click the New Reply button
signed on the Kano Palm sep.1958,Tilbury,paid off LiverpoolDec.1958.Mostly Essex & Medway deck crew.Remember old shipmate Geoff Kirby(from Harlow)I'm sure he re signed with Palm Line.Did about ten ports down the West Coast after picking up "Kroo Boys" at Dakar,Senegal.called at Santa Isobel,Fernando Po.I brought an African Grey parrot home by train from Liverpool to London ! Good times
Old 30th March 2015, 23:48

Kano Palm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakercapt View Post
When I was on the maiden voyage of "Kano Palm" the lamp in the Chadburn telegraph burned out. I took off the cover plate to replace it and inadvertently dropped the bulb down the column. Fitted the new lamp and forgot about it.
We completed the voyage and when some worker from the builders came to do some guarantee repairs they pulled the deck head down in the captains cabin.
The bulb had been running round there when the ship was rolling and just about drove him crazy going brrrrr bump.
I joined "Kano Palm as EDH for its second voyage to the west coast.I was told that on her first voyage the chief of the Kano tribe visited in Lagos complete with entourage !Nice looking ship but "heavy" with lifting gear
Old 31st March 2015, 12:07
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave bonner View Post
I joined "Kano Palm as EDH for its second voyage to the west coast.I was told that on her first voyage the chief of the Kano tribe visited in Lagos complete with entourage !Nice looking ship but "heavy" with lifting gear
It was true but he was the Emir of Kano and his body guards etc.
A very pleasant person dressed in traditional clothing.
Old 31st March 2015, 13:27

Kano Palm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakercapt View Post
It was true but he was the Emir of Kano and his body guards etc.
A very pleasant person dressed in traditional clothing.
Thanks for that lakercapt.Wouldn't be many experiences like that in a lifetime.I have a b&w photo' of a 48ton thames lighter being off-loaded from the Kano Palm at Freetown.Would like some advice from any comp.wise guys on how to get this & other pics.on this site?(I have a printer connected to laptop) Dave
Old 20th April 2015, 07:50

Sorry to hear the news of Bob I sailed with him as a 2nd Electrician a few times good memories of those times.

Last edited by edshazell; 20th April 2015 at 10:42..
Old 14th June 2015, 03:41

Andoni Palm

I recently discovered that my Grandfather worked on many of the Palm Line Ships. His name was James William Johnson and he was born in Calabar, Nigeria. some people called him Calabar Johnson..he settled in Liverpool and my father still has some of the letters that he wrote to his father that were addressed to the various ships of the palm line company. During a recent conversation that i had with my father he told me of his surprise at finding out after google search of the Andoni Palm that the ship was not as big as he had expected and yesterday i discovered why the palm line ships were of a design that suited inland journeys via shallow inlets. My Grandfather passed away in 1961 before i was born and it is interesting to read the posts in this forum.
Old 14th June 2015, 21:31

Calabar Johnson - Andoni Palm

Although I sailed on ANDONI PALM, I do not recognise the name of your Grandfather. Palm Line ships were designed to go up the creeks in West Africa and one in particular the ship had to plough into the river bank, reverse and turn to get round the river bend. It left a permanent V in the river bank! ANDONI PALM was not a big ship but her interior was really nice. I think she finished her days with Palm Line by going on a "Round the world voyage" having been chartered by another Company.
Sorry I cannot be of more help. Perhaps others will remember and reply.
Best Wishes
The Stranger
Old 2nd July 2015, 19:40

I remember that tight turn when the bows went into the Bush it was on the way up to Sapele in Nigeria. The Mates position during the manoeuvre was up near the Anchor winch and he and the Chippy used to get covered with bugs and branches. I remember going up to the bars in Sapele it involved walking the train line and at night there was all sorts of wild-life around.
Old 2nd July 2015, 21:04

I sailed on the Badagary Palm and as I have referred to the bosun and the old man as the last people I would ever sail with again for many reasons too many to mention ,once up the creek in Port Harcourt the bosun put us in a punt and told us to paint the boot topping around the rudder under the **** end and as those of you who know where the African Ensign was situated will know that is a place you wouldn't want to be we refused to do the job until someone was posted to stop it being used it was a sh,,y job even so.Does anyone remember the albino pimp at the same port, and the European Club what a bunch of tosses that lot were we played them rugby and football and tho they invited the officers back for a drink us lower mortals were shipped back to the ship in the back of an old lorry, maybe we should have let them win at least I got my own back on a big sod who delighted in flattening me when we played them at rugby as when we played them later at football I shredded his calf with my old leather football boots the stud leather had shrunk but the nails were sticking out should have heard him scream ,a few happy memories of the Palm and the coast that was one I remember.
Old 2nd July 2015, 22:31

the stranger

How well I remember that. You gave me a laugh when I thought back about all the bugs and branches. So true and was so good to hear someone else experiencing the same thing!!
Best Regards
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:30
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Active: 1958 - 2002

Well my memories ate of playing football against all sorts Dutch Germans et all.
PU's afterwards were always pretty egalitarian affairs one in all in.
I remember my times on the Badagry Palm (1963-64) as amongst the best!!

Yours aye
Old 3rd July 2015, 19:03
Active: 1963 - 1972

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by edshazell View Post
I remember that tight turn when the bows went into the Bush it was on the way up to Sapele in Nigeria. The Mates position during the manoeuvre was up near the Anchor winch and he and the Chippy used to get covered with bugs and branches.
Can't remember if it was the Enugu or Bamenda Palm, but I was sent up to the focsle to stand by with chippy and the mate. Fascinated with the surroundings and watching the banks of the river ahead giving way and when I turned round and the chippy and mate had vanished and next thing I knew I was "in the jungle"! They knew what was coming and had nipped off the focsle!
Old 3rd July 2015, 19:13

palm line ships,"up the creek"

remember going up to Pepel,Sierra Leone and dropping anchor to "kedge"us off on sailing.Could see nothing but jungle.At night the"locals" would climb up the hawse pipe on the anchor chain and rob what ever they could!I was unfortunately nominated by the first mate to be night watchman, glad to see daylight!
Old 4th July 2015, 20:14
Active: 1961 - 1968

I was on the Bamenda Palm in 1964. We went to Tiko with 50 ton of cargo. Tiko was a banana plantation. We had to swing in the river by going into the bank, boy did we frighten the parrots,bits of tree branch all over the focsle. there was quite a din. We were only tied up for a couple of hours, and had permission to cut down some bunches of bananas free gratis.
Old 10th July 2015, 22:55

Can anyone remember a Palm Line ship I was on that sailed from Falmouth around 1966/7 on Christmas eve after loading munitions and the Chief Steward died the next day and we had to keep him in the freezer until Las Palmas.
Old 4th August 2015, 23:37
Active: 1965 - 1969

Great stories I must say. Thanks for sharing.
I was a trainee R/O on the Makurdi Palm/GHGJ in 1965 I think it was.
Unusually the ship called into Capetown on my first trip. I went ashore with a cadet from Port Harcourt to attend mass. We sat down in the church and realised everyone was white, except for my colleague and the priest, who was coloured. Lots of funny looks, I recall. I was very young and innocent.
I remember us picking up and dropping off the kroo boys in Freetown.
Les Holt from Liverpool was my trainer, a lovely guy.
I just spent eight months in total (three trips) on Makurdi then onto the Huntsville. Ben
Old 11th January 2016, 07:50

Takoradi

Takoradi has been in the news lot recently for all the wrong reasons but it did bring back memories of loading logs onto deck on the way back home. Some of the known as sinkers were so heavy they had to be supported by two other logs as they were floated out to us in the harbour. I still have a 6 stone wooden carved elephant that I bought in Takoradi and carried all the way back to the ship.

Ed