M.V Defoe & R.M.S Hubert - Ships Nostalgia
02:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

M.V Defoe & R.M.S Hubert

User Tag List

Old 23rd June 2005, 03:51

M.V Defoe & R.M.S Hubert

Sailed as an Engineer on both vessels in 1959/60
Old 23rd June 2005, 20:49

M.V.Defoe & RMS Hubert

Hi Mike,

Worked by on Defoe as a Deck Cadet, but never sailed deep sea on her. I was in Receife when Debrett ( Sister ship )went on fire.( See First Trip Fire ) Sailed deep sea on Raphael, Ronsard, Rubens, ( Rossini Ex Rubens ) and the Sheridan.

Also worked by on Dryden & Devis. I was with Lamports in the 60s, must say they were happy days.

Chris.
Old 24th June 2005, 08:00

R.M.S Hubert

Thanks for the speedy response Chris, what happened to the Hubert ? any knowledge of her. Great crew party all the way, Liverpool, Lisbon Barbados (Carnival time) then up the Amazon, fantastic.
I recall Lord Vesty used to travel down from London on the morning train, have lunch aboard the Hubert then catch the afternoon train back.
Regards, Mike.
Old 24th June 2005, 20:26

Hi Mike,

The Hubert was broken up in 1984 in Alang. If you go to the below website there is a nice black and white photo of her and her history from lauching to being broken up.

http://www.bluestarline.org/booth/hubert4.html

Kind regards

Chris.
Old 11th July 2005, 01:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - Present

Hi
I was on the Reburn ex Candar Star for 2 years from 1970 happy days!
Old 31st March 2006, 10:03

I never sailed on the Hubert, but coasted her as the Malaysia in the mid 1960s.

Brian
Old 9th September 2006, 21:32

The Defoe was most unusual in that as the bridge was part of the funnel and the monkey island was the forward end of the funnel you had to climb into this area to take a bearing, and if the wind was astern the main engine exhaust fumes wafted over you.
I did a couple of coasting trips as second mate from Liverpool to Glasgow and back around Christmas and New Year 1964.
In Glasgow while we were loading I remember being approached by an individual who later turned out to be a Board of Trade surveyor, who asked when the lifeboats had been last swung out. As I was only coasting and had no idea I flippantlly suggested years ago, as the paint appeared to be solid around the blocks etc. This landed me in some difficulties with the old man and the taught me the lesson of never offering an opinion unless you know who you are talking to.
Seems an lifetime ago and the idea of going into the funnel to take bearings would now be considered bixarre, but at the time we did not question why.
The design of the D class reminded me of a series of dates boxes stacked up. the lower being three and four holds and the top being the funnel/monkey island.
The Defoe was built in Belfast and ran back and forth to the River Plate for many
years with frozen and chilled beef.
Having visited BA on a number of other L&H vessels I would give a lot to enjoy a good Argentinian steak again.
Old 9th September 2006, 22:40

Hi Georged,

I would love to taste an Argentinian Steak again too. There is no doubt about it they were the best. I must also say I had some great steaks in Brazil as well.

The D Boats were strange ships wern't they. I remember the Sparks on the Defoe, complaining to me that living and working in the funnel had given him pleurisy, he did nothing but cough and I was surprised that he still sailed on the ship and in fact was allowed to.

Do you remember those big steel shutters above the wheelhouse windows, how they never killed anyone is a mystery.

Chris.

Last edited by Santos; 9th September 2006 at 22:43..
Old 14th September 2006, 18:17
danube4

My location
Defoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by georged View Post
The Defoe was most unusual in that as the bridge was part of the funnel and the monkey island was the forward end of the funnel you had to climb into this area to take a bearing, and if the wind was astern the main engine exhaust fumes wafted over you.
I did a couple of coasting trips as second mate from Liverpool to Glasgow and back around Christmas and New Year 1964.
In Glasgow while we were loading I remember being approached by an individual who later turned out to be a Board of Trade surveyor, who asked when the lifeboats had been last swung out. As I was only coasting and had no idea I flippantlly suggested years ago, as the paint appeared to be solid around the blocks etc. This landed me in some difficulties with the old man and the taught me the lesson of never offering an opinion unless you know who you are talking to.
Seems an lifetime ago and the idea of going into the funnel to take bearings would now be considered bixarre, but at the time we did not question why.
The design of the D class reminded me of a series of dates boxes stacked up. the lower being three and four holds and the top being the funnel/monkey island.
The Defoe was built in Belfast and ran back and forth to the River Plate for many
Having visited BA on a number of other L&H vessels I would give a lot to enjoy a good Argentinian steak again.

Nice pic of Defoe.
From "We Salute Them". With the Compliments of, Lamport & Holt Line Ltd. 1947. From my scrap book.
Rgds Barney.
Old 14th September 2006, 19:56
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Tesco does shrink-pack packets of Argentinian steak.
Old 14th September 2006, 20:36
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1985

My location
I think this will be your "defoe", built 45, photographed in 69
Attached Images
File Type: jpg defoe 69.jpg (43.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 14th September 2006, 20:45

Thanks Makko,

We ate them straight off the hoof in South America, so fresh and untouched, you could almost hear them still mooing. The taste was superb and they were cooked to perfection as you wanted them.

These days the steaks are tasteless as the poor cattle get fed on so much processed food and drugs. Very few herds these days munch on proper fodder like they should. Even so called Organic Steaks are tasteless and very much over priced. Why animals fed organically are dearer than animals fed on drugs and processed feedstuff I just dont know.

Chris.
Old 14th September 2006, 22:13
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Chris,

I worked for an Argentine-Italian company. My immediate boss loved talking about the Pampas. The Tesco stuff is good. Argentines can cook an old shoe and it would taste wonderful! When Argie family friends came to our house for the first time, Soto's eyes lit up "You've got a fireplace!" Off to the supermarket and he looked at all the sides and picked one out immediately - Tasted great cooked on our open fireplace! You'd never know looking at me but EATING food certainly counts as one of my hobbies!

Hasta pronto amigo!

Dave
Old 15th September 2006, 19:59

Thanks Dave,

I will try it and let you know. To quote Homer Simpson ' Steak ' the best word in the English Language,

Kind regards,

Chris.
Old 30th August 2008, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by georged View Post
George,
I joined the Defoe in Glasgow around Christmas day '64 and did the run job to Liverpool and then out to BA, Rosario, Montevideo and Sao Paulo. She was unusual with the bridge inside the funnel. She was at one point the "Geelong Star" through L&H's affiliation with Blue Star.
DDrennan
Old 29th July 2009, 12:03

I joined the Defoe in March 1963 as EDH,I missed it in Receife,ended up flying down to Rio ,{good name for a song}and rejoining it,we then done Santos, Rio Grande Sol, Port Alegre were Lord Vestry was supposed to visit the ship, the side of the hull to the quay was painted, gangway scrubbed, bridle and chains painted silver, no one came. {stand down chaps}I was glad ,it was hard painting with a suit on.The aft accommodation was very Spartan, I remember having a good game of football in Santos against a Brazilian team even though we were beaten about 10 nil.{Happy days stay with you for ever.}
Old 29th July 2009, 20:21

Ah! Bife' Lomo with a fried egg on top, papas fritas and a bottle of vino rosso, it's making my mouth water even now thinking about it!! Glyn.
Old 29th July 2009, 20:51

My location
Beefie de lomo completo a dos huevos i papas fritas, por favor, Senor.
Should be patatas but they knew what we meant.
Dockers' cafe not far from the gate at Basin A, BA.
Old 29th July 2009, 21:59

I always said sin garlic.
Old 31st July 2009, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray morgan View Post
I always said sin garlic.
No No Senor! con garlic! round the buoy!
Old 1st August 2009, 11:31

I always thought sin was without garlic, very rusty on my Spanish.
Old 1st August 2009, 12:44

My location
You're right, Ray.
Con mean "with" (Chilli con carne - Chile with meat)
I think nautiboy42 is a fan of garlic and saying that it shouldn't be eaten without.
I don't remember garlic on mine but it was 52 years ago.
Old 1st August 2009, 19:12

Thanks for that im 66 shortly the old grey matter is slowly letting me down. regards Ray.
Old 1st August 2009, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray morgan View Post
Thanks for that im 66 shortly the old grey matter is slowly letting me down. regards Ray.
Tell you what Ray, they were great with or without garlic as long as there was a bottle of rough red to wash it down!
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:38

Hi
I was wondering if any body sailed in the Defoe between 1964-1966, who may remember a Bosun named Des McMillan ( my Father), he unfortunately passed away 9/10/09,any memories would be welcome.
Thanks
Des McMillan