Zealandic (65) - Ships Nostalgia
17:05

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Zealandic (65)

User Tag List

Old 20th July 2004, 16:39

Zealandic (65)

The Shaw Savill Zealandic at Kenosha, Wisconsin. Built 1965 7,750gt
On Uiterwick charter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zealandic.jpg (38.9 KB, 407 views)

Last edited by david smith; 24th October 2005 at 13:18..
Old 23rd November 2004, 09:36

My location
Now this is an interesting photo. I note that the superstructure is painted grey so the charter to Uiterwyk Lines must have been a fairly long one. Was she still carrying a Shaw Savill crew during this time?
Sold July 1980 to a Greek owner and became the "Port Launay"
Interestingly, both "Zealandic" and sister "Laurentic" were initially first choice to go over to the NZ Shipping Corporation, but eventually rejected as unsuitable. "Brittanic" & "Majestic" were taken over instead.
Old 23rd November 2004, 15:08

My location
ZEALANDIC change name in 1981 from PORT LAUNAY in the Lib. KHALIJ KRISTAL and subseqountly broken up. Few time after LAURENTIC was broken
up as SPARTAN REEFER.
Old 23rd November 2004, 15:36

Yes, the Zealandic was painted in the Shaw Savill greys, dark grey for hull and lighter for superstructure and masts. This was the scheme in the latter days of the company. The funnel was painted in charterers colours. The route was Sheerness/ Rotterdam to Kenosha (Wisconson) in summer months, and in winter to the gulf ports of Freeport and Tampa.
Old 14th October 2005, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by david smith
image deleted
Sorry that this image has been deleted - I did the maiden voyage ( and voyage 2) on Zealandic. Then the newest ship in SAA but the master would not let the OOW use the Radar, if he did then then he had to be present at all times................very strange compared to these days......................
Old 14th October 2005, 19:35

My location
“M V Zealandic”

A friend has recently crossed over his Wife would like a photograph of the ships he sailed on to go with his record book
One was the “M V Zealandic” Off No 186230

If any one could provide a copy I would much appreciate one
Regards Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Log Book 1small.jpg (74.6 KB, 329 views)
Old 22nd February 2006, 21:10

Served on Zealandic in 1971 on trip from London to Western Australia light ship to load full cargo of apples at 3 ports. Back in UK with just enough sea time to qualify for AB rank was I glad we hit fog in E. Channel that delayed us for 2 days! Lovely ship inside but rolled like a B...... even on calm waters due to quite high accomodation. One and only SS Ship, not sure why!
Old 22nd February 2006, 21:13

Cannot help with photo I am afraid, the only ship I served on where I didn't take reels of photos. Interested to note though that I also served on Zealandic (1971) and Sagamore (1973)
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:48

I did a few trips on zealandic,we where arrested in Rotterdam,chain and lock through the ships wheel etc.the charterer had not paid there bills,also the last trip for SS&A,the deck crowd could not wait to repaint the funnel in buff,
sold the ship afterwards and sailed with the new owners to Brest before flying back to UK.
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:07

My location
ist why put an image on then deleted it / WHEN i find out i will put
some more terry music man

Old 4th July 2007, 11:35

I have the builder's plate from this ship & also a capacity plan. She had a serious condition of class on leaving SS&A in respect of damage caused while at Kenosha - anyone know what happened?

Also several of the stability conditions from the stability booklet were disallowed by either class or DTI when still with SS&A.

Anyone know how many crew she had when new?

Tony
Old 5th July 2007, 12:54

Zealandic was sideswiped in Kenosha by another ship which then went on to ram the dockside and left a nice bow shape in the road at the end of the dock.
I was down the er trying to refit a liner into the engine when this happened
after the liner stopped swinging about,went on deck to find fire main broken
water in all directions,and the aft deck covered in busted gangway,from the other ship.The ships side had been sprung in about an inch or so and there was damage to the er fwd bulkhead.In dry dock before the ship was sold
the surveyor was trying to make a big issue about this,and I guess that he was the one to put on the condition.The bulkhead was repaired at this time.
Old 5th July 2007, 14:36
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

A belated greetings and welcome to you Noel. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer. Bon voyage.
Old 5th July 2007, 18:57

Thanks Noel,

The Greek buyers sold her on to Gulfeast who basically bought her without proper inspections & without investigating her class history. The class paperwork was all jumbled up & the class condition, which was in respect of shell plating, starboard side in way of hatches 2 & 3 at about lower tweendeeck level, did not surface until docking in 1984 at Botlek for collision damage. At this time it was noted at the docking inspection that there was also considerable setting up of bottom plates over much of her length although the appearance of the corrosion & scale gave the impression that this damage was quite old - another mystery. She was in generally very poor condition at that time & being somewhat limited as to what cargoes she could properly carry in a very poor market the owners sensibly elected to scrap the vessel. Her previous charterers, Transocean of Sczeczin were liable for the collision damage & paid off owners to their satisfaction.

Tony

Last edited by Tony Breach; 5th July 2007 at 19:01..
Old 27th August 2007, 04:53

was on zealandic when she did the west coast of the states run 1967 what a trip. she was loaded with boooze from end to end. there were four shelties on deck the two grey brothers vic & karl tom hay my cabin mate and myself .tom kept smashing the mugs up against the bulkhead. then he would yell for bob dunkley the deckboy to get new ones .jake mackay was one of the greezers kenny shaw was lampy inga brownie was bosun he was completly nuts .but he always claimed he was the only sane one on the ship for he had two certifecates to proove it he had been in the nut house twice.i will try and put a photo of the zealandic onthe site cheers for now
lowrie ewen
nickname big low
Old 4th September 2007, 13:35

how do you post photos on this site got a really good photo of the zealandic
can anybody help cheers lowrie
Old 4th September 2007, 13:50
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979

Lowrie

Assuming that you want to post a thumbnail here in the Shaw Savill forum - go to bottom of this page, see large box "quick reply". click "go advanced" at bottom, scroll down to "attach files" but remember being a thumbnail you may have to reduce it in size substantially. When finished click on "submit reply".
You can also post the normal size pics in the Gallery - click on "upload" and follow instructions.
Regards
Paul
Old 9th September 2007, 11:16

will try again to get this photo of zealandic on forums
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zealandic.jpg (176.3 KB, 257 views)
Old 9th September 2007, 12:14
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979

Came out very well. Thanks for posting.
Old 11th September 2007, 11:18

Lowrie,

Thanks for the pic. I have compared it to the KHALIJ CRYSTAL photo I have & the signal mast has been altered with a second radar platform below the "christmas tree" array &, it appears, a section removed from between the top of the "christmas tree" & the original radar platform. It was one hell of a high mast as built.

What was the total crew when she was with SS&A? She seemed to have a lot of accommodation.

Tony.
Old 13th September 2007, 13:04
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1971

Tony,

Looking at a copy of the S S & A Fleet manning list (approx 1967/8) there appears to be a total crew of 50 + on the Zealandic at that time.

Regards John
Old 13th September 2007, 20:39

Thanks John,

I had to run her with 23 at the end. Not an easy ship & certainly not designed to run light ship across oceans. We made a ballast passage from Durban to Berkeley Sound F.I., in March & hit one hell of a storm. She was an absolute ***** to hold up to the wind with that bloody great focsle & not a lot of ship in the water. Not one of my favourites but I do have the builders plate!

Tony
Old 27th September 2007, 12:22

My location
i sailed on her in 71...as o/s got my edh ticket at st katherines ..when i rejoined in royal albert we were waiting for a cargo..during that time i had really bad tonsilitis and had to pay off ..ending up having them out at greenwich seamans hosp. a shame as she was a lovely ship... does anyone recall that the monkey island was supposed to be haunted..apparently a shipyard worker got killed up there...i dont know if thats true..but the hair on my neck used to stand up when i was on lookout...it was also the first trip that shaw sav had the IDF ...where we had to do so many hours down below.there was a weird polish guy who had been on her for years..he had a funny walk...and as i recall didnt speak to anyone.. anyone remember him..z
Old 27th September 2007, 13:42

He was not Polish but Estonian or Latvian,cant remember his name,when the ship laid up for a time,he lived in a ruin on the dock side,never ever spent any money.
Old 27th September 2007, 14:57

My location
i heard about that.. i heard it was sheerness and he had built a hut from pallettes hoping the ship would come back.. yeah now i recall im sure he was latvian thanks for that