Shaw Savill Society - Ships Nostalgia
08:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Shaw Savill Society

User Tag List

Old 2nd January 2012, 06:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1967 - 1973

Smile Shaw Savill Society

The next New Zealand Reunion will take place in Picton, South Island over the weekend of 28-29 April 2012. The NZ Society would warmly welcome those wishing to attend from Australia and other members abroad. For further information please contact Jamie by private message or email.
Jamie Shedden
Shaw Savill Society
Reunion Co-ordinator
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:18

Shaw Savill Society 2012

Unfortunately cannot make it this year, but please post some pictures on SN for us SSA people in the UK! Hope it all goes well - You always were a great organiser Jamie!
Old 3rd January 2012, 00:22

Hi John ~ good to hear from you ~ you must try to get to one of our Reunions.
Did you sail with Mick Bullock ~ he was junior third on Cross in 1968/69 ~ he is captain of containership now ~ and still at sea on Papua New Guinea coast.
I have some magnificent cine film footage of the Cross in these wonderful days.
All the Best for 2012 ~ cheers Jamie
Old 5th January 2012, 16:30

Shaw Savill Society

Yes think I remember Mick Bullock. Jeff Eade and Keith Lyons as J/3/0's on the cross - we must all be around 65 years old now!
Great if you could post some of your cine film on U Tube?? - certainly wish I had invested in a cine camera - or at least taken more 35mm slides but c'est la vie. Yes will try and tie on a NZ visit with one of your re unions. Regards John
Old 5th January 2012, 16:50
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Sailed with Mick in CNCo, on the mighty ship that is my avatar great shipmate and bumped into him in Lae after he had retired from CNCo, good to hear he's still around.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 5th January 2012, 20:29
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiwera View Post
Yes think I remember Mick Bullock. Jeff Eade and Keith Lyons as J/3/0's on the cross - we must all be around 65 years old now!
Great if you could post some of your cine film on U Tube?? - certainly wish I had invested in a cine camera - or at least taken more 35mm slides but c'est la vie. Yes will try and tie on a NZ visit with one of your re unions. Regards John
Sailed with Geoff Ede when he was 2/0 on the Star. Here is a link to his current(?) bio:-

http://www.severnlink.com/uploads/pr...evern-link.pdf
Old 5th January 2012, 20:49

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandane View Post
The next New Zealand Reunion will take place in Picton, South Island over the weekend of 28-29 April 2012. The NZ Society would warmly welcome those wishing to attend from Australia and other members abroad. For further information please contact Jamie by private message or email.
Jamie Shedden
Shaw Savill Society
Reunion Co-ordinator
Any of you guys in the Shaw Saville Society know what happened to Mike Saunders (Shifty)? He was Chief Elect on the Atanda and had been on the Cross and Corinthic, possibly also the Northern star
Thanks ... Paul Beart (Plum)
Old 5th January 2012, 23:25

Smile Shaw Savill

Hi John

Thanks for two other names we sailed with ~ Keith and Jeff ~ remember them both very well.
Thanks Paul for the link to Jeff's very successful business ~ always good to know what old shipmates have done with their lives.
Any news on Keith?
Would gladly upload Shaw Savill cinefilm on to You Tube or indeed here on SN if I know how to do. Most of my cinefilm is now on DVD ~ so how easy to transfer to online webpages? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have one short piece of film of the Last Shaw Savill ship ~ containership Dunedin leaving port of Auckland for the last time. I have footage on Southern Cross and Northern Star ~ some of which Des Cox used in his movies Ships to and from NZ.
Cheers Jamie
Old 5th January 2012, 23:31

Smile Shify

Hi Paul B (Plum)

I recall Shifty very well on NStar - but no idea where he can be located.
Can ask some of our engineers in NZ ~ Len Tarleton keeps in touch with many in UK and often attends UK reunions so I am sure can find out any news on him. Wally Watson is now Vice Chairman of UK Society ~ so he will be able to update any news on engineers ~ watch this space!
Cheers Jamie
Old 5th January 2012, 23:37

Hi George

Mick has been home for Christmas - not sure if he still home but will let him know that you have been in contact. Mick and I became good buddies when we sailed on Southern Cross in 1969 ~ we sailed round world voyage and cruise to Japan ex Australia same trip.
Cheers Jamie, Auckland NZ
Old 6th January 2012, 15:54

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandane View Post
Hi Paul B (Plum)

I recall Shifty very well on NStar - but no idea where he can be located.
Can ask some of our engineers in NZ ~ Len Tarleton keeps in touch with many in UK and often attends UK reunions so I am sure can find out any news on him. Wally Watson is now Vice Chairman of UK Society ~ so he will be able to update any news on engineers ~ watch this space!
Cheers Jamie
Thanks Jamie,

I would be appreciative. I sailed with Len Tarleton when I was a Junior Lecky on either the Suevic or Corinthic; one of the great guys of this world.
Regards
Paul beart (Plum)
Old 7th January 2012, 22:03
KIWI
Active: 1949 - 1955

My location
Did any member of SS&A Society sail with a engineer Johnny Mallard?I sailed with him on P&O's Maloja & he contacted me here in Wellington when he was on either Southern Cross or Northern Star but have lost contact since.As an aside I lent him my car to go for a run up to Paraparaumu which I pronounced Pakeha fashion Paraparam.He got as far as Otaki before asking directions.He of course did not associate the sign posts with my verbal directions & went on for twenty or more k's. KIWI
Old 25th January 2018, 04:31
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1991

lampie Adelaide

Its extremly disapointing not to have heard from any of my old ship mates from SS&A. I was lampy on the Megantic,did the last trip on the old Wiapawa,also sailed on the Delphic,Zealandic,Canopic,and many others kind regards Alli. Speirs.Now live in Adelaide,however I can saftly say that that the 23 years I spent at sea were by far the happiest years of my life,cant put my finger on it,SS&A definatley, the crew's from the old man down great,or perhaps maybe the run, or a bit of both?anyway thankyou Shaw Saville.
Old 25th January 2018, 04:49
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1991

Thumbs up lampie Adelaide

HI JIM WHEN IS THE NEXT WHEN IS THE NEXT SS&A SCOCIETY MEETING IN N.Z. REGARDS ALLI. ADLELAIDE ? i'd like to be there
Old 26th January 2018, 05:32

My location
Any Shaw Savill blokes out there know if James Thornton is still around. He was 2nd Mate on Alaric/GWRQ, I joined her in Glasgow, fitted out the Radio Room, did the sea trials and spent the next 3 years on her. We did the trip out to Runic on
Middleton Reef, taking out the Salvage team, water, bunkers for the tug and drifted out there for a week before returning to Sydney for bunkers and continuing the voyage. We also had the heavy gear which we transferred to the
tug to help pull her off but as you know it was not a success as she was tidal believe the serving R/O had to dismantle all the radio gear into the lifeboats
as Marconi wanted it back. The serving crew had a bit of a shock too as the charter aircraft taking them back to the UK had to make an emergency landing so it was not a great trip and it was also the first ship that was allowed to carry
the Captains wife I believe. V Vizer was Master on Alaric in those days and James and I used to play Canasta and eat tinned oysters after his 12-4 watch finished in the afternoon, that would have been back in 1959-1960 I think.
Ern Barrett
Old 27th January 2018, 02:47

REunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisterSpeirs View Post
HI JIM WHEN IS THE NEXT WHEN IS THE NEXT SS&A SCOCIETY MEETING IN N.Z. REGARDS ALLI. ADLELAIDE ? i'd like to be there
Sure Jamie will answer this , probably busy.Next reunion is in Auckland ..

Friday 27th April-- Sunday 29th inc

regards
John.

PS John Taylor was lampy on Delphic in 1963 when I was there.
Old 28th September 2018, 10:50

Address Details of UK SSA Society

Good Morning from the UK Jamie

Do you have the address details of the UK SSA ?
I have moved house and need to give them my change of address
Regards

John Penson
Old 16th October 2018, 11:14
Active: 1957 - 1968

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI View Post
Did any member of SS&A Society sail with a engineer Johnny Mallard?I sailed with him on P&O's Maloja & he contacted me here in Wellington when he was on either Southern Cross or Northern Star but have lost contact since.As an aside I lent him my car to go for a run up to Paraparaumu which I pronounced Pakeha fashion Paraparam.He got as far as Otaki before asking directions.He of course did not associate the sign posts with my verbal directions & went on for twenty or more k's. KIWI
I spent years thinking they were two different places, Kiwi confusion.
Old 11th November 2018, 01:20

Shaw Savill Society UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiwera View Post
Good Morning from the UK Jamie

Do you have the address details of the UK SSA ?
I have moved house and need to give them my change of address
Regards

John Penson
Hi John

Great to hear from you - sorry for delay in responding - have not been on SN for some time.

Email" [email protected] - contact Mike Lacey

Are you going to final Reunion in Southampton in May 2020 - I hope to be there !!

Cheers Jamie
Old 16th January 2019, 16:16

Hi guys,

Anybody still in touch with Eric Black who sailed with SS from Jan 1974 until the end in 1985? We are trying to get in touch with our friends from the 1974 intake at Highbury Tech. in Portsmouth.

Did his Phase 3 at Poplar in London.

Cheers